• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW High Density HST Mk3 Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
First Class looks excellent

Standard class looks horrible comapared to the current interiot.

The livery looks excellent.

Overall i like it.

Guinness

Established Member
From the looks of those Airline Seats I actually prefer the look of Pendolino and Voyager seats. The HST ones look far too thin.

Dennis

Established Member
The shots from standard class almost remind me of those silver trains that run on the cross country network.

Are there to be any lower density standard class coaches? - like what leisure travellers (families and groups) prefer.

I also trust the flip-down tables are big enough for commuters to work on (otherwise they'll be fighting for the proper tables or else drive).

FC looks good though, as does the 'paint job'.

Craig

Established Member
From the outside it looks like they've got a GNER coach and stuck a FGW vinyl on the side :lol:

First class looks alright, but I think I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one in the flesh.

Dennis

Established Member
I'm looking forward to travelling in FC on a hot summers day when my backsides a bit sweaty; I'll be able to slide around making farty noises. Haven't been able to do that for ages (not since the proper bus seats got taken out Pacers).

theblackwatch

Established Member
Can't say I'm that impressed from the pictures, but, like Craig, I will reserve judgement until I see or travel on one in person. Looks like only 2 tables per coach, is this "cram 'em in" what the punters really want? Think I might have to sample a few 'real' HSTs on FGW before they go!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Hmm...aren't sweaty people gonna be sticking to the first class seating? Leaving it all...moist for everyone else. Eurgh.
Not sure about the thin seats either. Doesn't matter how comfortable they are, I just can't stand thin seats. Just gives off the "we don't care if you're comfortable" attitude.

'Welcome aboard this FGW airline service to Plymouth, emergency exits are situated here and here *air hostess hand gestures* :lol:

Coxster

Established Member
I'm afraid I don't like the idea of just a couple of tables per coach. It may well improve capacity but it's not really ideal for families or groups who want to travel long distances together. I wonder how long the cards on the seat backs will stay there, or even remain in good condition.

Tom C

Standard seats look cheap and nasty just like all the latest breed but 1st Class looks very nice. All in all looks like a great train if you can afford 1st class or have a 1st class Priv .

Also why do they insist on making the lights so bright as to make them obtrusively bright?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder how long the cards on the seat backs will stay there, or even remain in good condition.

They have them on existing trains, in the seatbacks and in the racks on table seats, and I've always seen at least 1 avaliable in eact pair of seats, and in good condition, except the 1 that I've seen stuck together.

All in all looks like a great train if you can afford 1st class or have a 1st class Priv .

I have a First Class Priv and always end up going Std (except at Weekends as I have free upgrades thanks to FGW's "Forward" Scheme), splitting at Didcot, Priv Sg Bristol > Paddington is £9.10!! I took SWT last time I went to London, and next time will probably take the Megabus or Nasty Express

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
'Welcome aboard this FGW airline service to Plymouth, emergency exits are situated here and here *air hostess hand gestures* :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdsv2CRHjk
"Right you lot, shut up, belt up, and if you can't see the bloody exits you must be bloody blind" ;)

I love the original 'IC70' seats, so I am worried that these seats may not be as comfortable - but until I try it I can't really comment.

As for the tables - what are the chances that a group of 4 people can't find a table because one person has sat at it despite loads of 'airline' seats being free? There should be a rule "No-one may sit at a table unless travelling with a group unless every seat on the entire train is occupied" <(

richa2002

Established Member
Thanks for that link Yorkie! Actually made me 'laugh out loud'.

TheSlash

Established Member
As for the tables - what are the chances that a group of 4 people can't find a table because one person has sat at it despite loads of 'airline' seats being free? There should be a rule "No-one may sit at a table unless travelling with a group unless every seat on the entire train is occupied" <(
Yeah but when we start making rules like that, your days would be numbered :headbang:

Nat the Ned

Well having totally messed up their timetable they just aswell mess up the comfort of their trains aswell. Certain people who have sampled these new standard seats have remarked they are on par with a Voyager. So sorry to upset the 'we love First' army but this is yet another example of FGW destroying rail travel in the south west......

lev441

feel sorry for anyone who would have to travel standard class...
Why don't they just stick to the same layout as now, with the same types of seats.. They've lasted this long why change it now?!
I also don't like how all refurbed stock is so bright... i prefer it to be dimmer!

Typical of first to ruin things even more...

LucaZone

Read FGW's plan on the use of these trains.....

High-Density = Commuter / Peak services

Several Rail Operators have expressed oppinions that they want to reduce the number of 'tourists' travelling during peak times, and have them travel on trains and during times outside the rush hours. AFAIK FGW arent converting ALL their TSO's to High Density.

Thus these cattle trucks are purely designed to cater for as many commuters as possible heading into London. Id rather have a seat on the way to work than stand!

Plus they are doing a good job to make FC more attractive. All to often people wont travel first class because standard was pretty good in comfort terms. Now your facing the choice you get on an airline. Cattle Class or Spacious Class. Seems pretty fair to me.

At the end of the day, if you want comfort and space your going to have to pay. If you want to pay as little as you can, dont expect much. No such thing as a free lunch :D

Guinness

Established Member
What happened to the proposed standard class with proper seats?

http://cjm.fotopic.net/p11955847.html

Looks like i'll be getting the 180s to London.

I hate the colour and style of the seat fabrics though! It could do with a bit of updating although I agree that Standard Seats from the 1970s are a lot more comfortable.

However, give me a Mk1 Compartment any day. :)

compsci

I'd certainly rather have a seat (so I can sleep) rather than stand if I had to use the routes these trains will be on.

People who aren't commuters on peak time trains seem capable of annoying an entire carriage of commuters by talking (cardinal sin in the peak), using all the luggage space and then putting their massive suitcases where ten people could stand. Sometimes they even bring their screaming children with them. Anything which scares them away will have the season ticket holders happy. The TOCs would barely notcice any difference in revenue.

devon_metro

Established Member
Read FGW's plan on the use of these trains.....

High-Density = Commuter / Peak services

Several Rail Operators have expressed oppinions that they want to reduce the number of 'tourists' travelling during peak times, and have them travel on trains and during times outside the rush hours. AFAIK FGW arent converting ALL their TSO's to High Density.

Thus these cattle trucks are purely designed to cater for as many commuters as possible heading into London. Id rather have a seat on the way to work than stand!

Plus they are doing a good job to make FC more attractive. All to often people wont travel first class because standard was pretty good in comfort terms. Now your facing the choice you get on an airline. Cattle Class or Spacious Class. Seems pretty fair to me.

At the end of the day, if you want comfort and space your going to have to pay. If you want to pay as little as you can, dont expect much. No such thing as a free lunch :D

Although what happens when this high density 'peak' set gets put on 1C10 07.30 Paddington-Penzance via Bristol Temple Meads (Old Timetable-not sure if it has chnaged)

Also the seats don't look very strong and that tables can't accomoadate a laptop or any plate of food! IC70 seats had excellent tables.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The IC70 seats are far too short for me, and together with their fixed armwrests, I find them very uncomfortable. One good thing about them is that you can fit laptops on their tables, but even they weren't big enough to fit a laptop on, with the screen going forward.

devon_metro

Established Member
Althhough this isn't an improvement in terms of tables.

The fixed arm rests were a pain but these new seats looks hard.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
[quote="Sniper 4 from wnxx.net/forum]
1. These are refurbs. That means they have to fit seats that meet crash resistance tests. IC70 seats failed, miserably. Bits of sharp plastic flying everywhere.
2. These are the same seats as fitted in the German ICE trains, far superior to Voyagers in my opinion.
3. The fold down trays are very sturdy and able to take a laptop.
4. The number one complaint made is "I paid £X.0000 to stand all the way to Y." There are no more coaches, so we put in more seats, high quality ones at that.
5. There will be the high density sets for shorter range services, they will have no buffets. Other high density sets with buffets, and the traditional IC layout sets with buffets, also having new seats.
6. Get used to it. All operators are being told to fit more people into existing stock.
7. I've sat on both classes of coach. I'd prefer more padding on the armrests in standard, but I've sat in worse airline seats for twenty hours and six hours on a Voyager. These are good enough for the job.
[/quote]

The Snap

Established Member
I think the new MK3s looks superb. Livery is cool, interior is very modern, and the cafe area is very nice too.

theblackwatch

Established Member
The IC70 seats are far too short for me, and together with their fixed armwrests, I find them very uncomfortable. One good thing about them is that you can fit laptops on their tables, but even they weren't big enough to fit a laptop on, with the screen going forward.

I do wonder how people will manage with laptops on the airline seats. I've always liked the IC70 setas, but being small does have its advantages sometimes! If you have trouble with them, I'd hate to see you cope with a Class 144 Pacer, I find there is just enough room for me - anyone average or tall height would probably struggle. How tall are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.