• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW HST to East Coast (short term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossforth

Established Member
I've seen on a Yahoo group that an FGW HST is to go on loan to EC for a few day on Saturday 29th October. Does anyone know what diagrams this set will eventually be on?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
Im guessing it will take the diagrams of the EMT hst that was on loan? Ill keep an eye out for it in lincoln in the evening

Crossforth

Established Member
Im guessing it will take the diagrams of the EMT hst that was on loan? Ill keep an eye out for it in lincoln in the evening

I gather that this is additional to the EMT diagram although don't hold me to that.

Jock

Now I know it maybe abit to early BUT does anyone know or have an inkling what the set diagrams are for this and how long its on EC

Aictos

Established Member
From Sunday 30th October to Friday 4th November, East Coast will be operating the loaned First Great Western HST on the following diagrams:

Sunday 30th October:

1F21 - 11:19 Kings Cross to Newcastle
1A46 - 18:15 Leeds to Kings Cross

Monday 31st October to Friday 4th November:

1N08 - 08:30 Kings Cross to Newcastle
1Y32 - 12:25 Newcastle to Kings Cross
1D32 - 16:33 Kings Cross to Leeds
1A49 - 19:15 Leeds to Kings Cross

The following was provided by East Coast as it was included in the notification that was emailed though about 3pm today.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Will they just send an 8-carriage set, or will they send something as close to EC formation as possible?

richw

Veteran Member
Will they just send an 8-carriage set, or will they send something as close to EC formation as possible?

Its only for a week, so not worth reforming etc for short time id guess. From what i can gather they are not that simple to reform

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its only for a week, so not worth reforming etc for short time id guess. From what i can gather they are not that simple to reform

Really? I was always under the impression that HSTs are fairly simple to reform it's just that no one bothers unless they have to do it.

Aictos

Established Member
Just to confirm this will be formed of 2 power cars plus 8 coaches (2 of which are 1st Class).

This was the basic East Coast formation before extra HST trailer cars became available in 2009.

richw

Veteran Member
Really? I was always under the impression that HSTs are fairly simple to reform it's just that no one bothers unless they have to do it.

I'm not sure, I read on either this forum or another I use, that HSTs are quite complex to reform. Maybe someone will know more...

Bodie

This is very cool news.

Only wish I lived near the ECML :(

I hope to see some photos in the coming months of a FGW HST in some unusual places :D

animationmilo

This is urgent. I can stay in london to 1300 saturday. Does anyone know if it will through finsbury park and what time

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Assuming that the diagrams posted by ajax are accurate it won't be in service yet on Saturday.

Harlesden

So if I'm standing on Ally Pally platform 2 at 15:35 on Monday, I should be able to see the southbound from Newcastle whizz by.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So if I'm standing on Ally Pally platform 2 at 15:35 on Monday, I should be able to see the southbound from Newcastle whizz by.

Yeah approximately that, I wouldn't like to say yes at exactly 15:35 but around that time sure.

GearJammer

Just out of curiousity, who takes the set from the Western region round to the Eastern region? Im guessing the Western region guys won't know the road to Kings cross or Bounds green if thats where it goes and im guessing the East Coast men won't know the route either? so who would have traction and route knowledge to do the transfer?

fgwrich

Established Member
Just out of curiousity, who takes the set from the Western region round to the Eastern region? Im guessing the Western region guys won't know the road to Kings cross or Bounds green if thats where it goes and im guessing the East Coast men won't know the route either? so who would have traction and route knowledge to do the transfer?

Im guessing it could be one of 4 companies / situations, something on the lines of this: FGW or East Coast Driver, Hull Trains Pilot - Bounds Green to Old Oak Moves....Or Freightliner, GB or West Coast covering piloting duties.

shedman

I can confirm the HSTs are very simple to reform, I do it every day at part of my job. It's just 4 airpipes, 2 CDL cables, a 27 way jumper and an ETS cable (some have WIFI or passenger counter cables). Putting a coach into a set can be a 10 minute job provide the coach isn't a million miles away from the set you're putting it in!

Aictos

Established Member
Assuming that the diagrams posted by ajax are accurate it won't be in service yet on Saturday.

The diagrams I posted are 100% accurate seeing as they were on the official East Coast memo that went out to Train Crew and Dispatch Staff regardless of TOC who deal with the East Coast HSTs, it arrived yesterday at work via email/fax and also had the number of differences between this First Great Western HST and the East Coast HSTs highlighted.

Hope this clears up any doubt.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Im guessing it could be one of 4 companies / situations, something on the lines of this: FGW or East Coast Driver, Hull Trains Pilot - Bounds Green to Old Oak Moves....Or Freightliner, GB or West Coast covering piloting duties.

Do HT crews do OOC to Bounds Green? Seeing as they're in their depot regularly maybe some FGW crew still sign 180s and the route to Bounds Green plus HST?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do HT crews do OOC to Bounds Green? Seeing as they're in their depot regularly maybe some FGW crew still sign 180s and the route to Bounds Green plus HST?

There has been a suggestion that the HST will have to run via Reading, Oxford, Derby(!) and then MML to Loughborough and then Peterborough (info from 43123valenta and anon on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HSTgen/)

Aictos

Established Member
There has been a suggestion that the HST will have to run via Reading, Oxford, Derby(!) and then MML to Loughborough and then Peterborough (info from 43123valenta and anon on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HSTgen/)

Why though? When the First Hull Trains Class 180s move between Old Oak Common and the ECML they don't waste time on such a un-needed diversionary route.

Ferme Park - Upper Holloway - Gospel Oak - Kensal Rise - Willesden Jn High Level then Acton Mainline then whatever route they need to get in and out of Old Oak Common is pretty simple.

The set will be moved during the course of Sunday, using GB Railfreight resources and routed via Reading, Nuneaton, Leicester and Peterborough, arriving at Ferme Park around 1900.

Aictos

Established Member
I reckon it makes for good advertising, having a First Great Western HST trample half way across the country just to get from one part of London to the other! :lol:

That was me being sarcastic by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.