• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW HSTs, are they in fact kettles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've been racking up the miles on FGW HSTs over the last few days (especially today where I've already clocked up six hours and there is another two to go) and I've noticed that whenever they're under breaking or standing in stations the bogies emit a very loud whistling noise that sounds very similar to a boiling kettle. I've never noticed anything like this on EC or XC HSTs so I'm wondering if anyone can explain the reason for the noise (and why it doesn't feature on other HSTs)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
All Mk3s make this noise, it's probably just co-incidence you've only heard it from FGW ones. It's the airbags for the suspension I believe.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Really? I swear I've never noticed this noise anywhere else and it's a loud noise on the FGW HSTs.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm, I'll have to pay closer attention next time I'm on another companies HST as I've definitely never noticed anything like this before.

MCR247

Established Member
They all make that noise, although FGWs are quite loud. If you go into the vestibule on any HST while its arriving/departing you can hear it

David10

One of the few faults of the Mark 3 was the proximity to the air-conditioning intakes to the bogies resulting in the saloon filling with the smell of burning brakes when an emergency application was made. Although haven't noticed it recently, perhaps this has been cured.

TEW

Established Member
You still get the brake dust smell sometimes. Not as noticeable as on MK2s though.

fgwrich

Established Member
One of the few faults of the Mark 3 was the proximity to the air-conditioning intakes to the bogies resulting in the saloon filling with the smell of burning brakes when an emergency application was made. Although haven't noticed it recently, perhaps this has been cured.

I believe it depends on the composition of the materials in the brake pads - DBs Class 67s i noticed still seem to be using the older type, whereas the newer ones i think have been produce with more modern composites. As for the Mk2s, you'll notice them more as they are of course the more traditional cast iron Tread brakes...and certainly the smelliest ive come across has been knackerd Riviera coaches.

Temple Meads

Established Member
There was a rather pungent smell of burning brakes on the up Night Riviera last Sunday night..

Back to the topic of squealing, I've always rather liked that noise :P

Status
Not open for further replies.