• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Managers Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
Got a few shots of the FGW Managers Special today plus a tour around some of the former Wessex network to see how Firstification was progressing,

http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/c912156.html

Must say, I was very impressed by the 'Neon' livery, looks far better in the flesh than in my pics. Not impressed by the FSR unit though - not a patch on SWT 158's and 159's.

'classic' FGW intercity services are now being announced as "First Great Western high speed services". New staff uniforms look generally smart even if one conductor was trying to convince us his pink shirt was 'more of a peach colour, not pink at all'.

The launch parties were quite impressive affairs, buck fizz and free pens for all, bands playing, balloons festooning platforms. Good effort to impress by FGW, I think we can look forward to a bit more shine before the premium payments and service cuts kick in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Nice photos there mate! Interesting captions on each end of this formation. As for being 'grannied', not sure that has ever happened to me yet.

ChrisM

Great photos, photographed this unit at St Denys later in the day and though my eyes were decieving me.

Post edited to make the link work. Hope you don't mind Chris - COXSTER

Jonno2055

What was the name of the unit?

By the way, great shots, I was going to go but decides not to.

Dennis

Established Member
Didn't notice the unit being named - I generally kept away from the actual 'parties' while they were in progress. Given that First use names like 'transforming travel' I expect they named it 'First - refurbishing units' or something like that!

As for being grannied, trying to rush down the stairs onto the platform at Exeter, there was an old lady trying to manouevre four large cases down the stairs. Why she didn't get help from customer service or use the lift is beyond me. Depite being in a rush, I offered to help but she didn't want any of it and was quite happy to struggle on, completely blocking the stairs. In the meantime, I missed the shot (not sure I was going to get it anyway).

I'm sure I'm not the only person this has happened to - railway photography on stations would be a lot easier if there were not any passengers :rolleyes:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quality shots Dennis, I hope you're right about that shot of 004 (or was it 009?) at Swindon, the caption saying the shot doesn't do it justice. TBH, my jaw nearly dropped when I saw it. I agree though with the ending comment on the caption 'Best livery for a HST yet'. Agreed, looks better than IC Swallow and VTs livery did!

Can't wait to see them out and about now.

As for being 'grannied', I've had similar instances with other passengers around the country too, although thankfully not often.

Jim

Established Member
ChrisM said:
Great photos, photographed this unit at St Denys later in the day and though my eyes were decieving me.
Yup, did the 1240 to Brighton IIRc

The unit is not named ATM

Status
Not open for further replies.