• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW penalty fare extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriso

According to the FGW website the penalty fare system is to be extended to cover all routes

The current scheme is basicly just the main section between Paddington and Reading covering all intermediate stations also included is Greenford the terminus of the branch from Ealing Broadway plus windsor and Eton central the terminus of the branch from Slough. From March 31st the following will also be classified penalty fare routes.

London Paddington to Oxford excluding Appleford ,Culham and Radley

Henley to Twyford/Reading excluding Wargrave and Shiplake

Maidenhead to Marlow excluding Furze platt ,Cookham and Marlow but including Bourne End

Paddington to Greenford excluding Drayton green ,catle bar park and south Greenford

Reading to Basingstoke all stations

Reading to Gatwick Airport all stations to Guildford then excluding all intermediate stations to Reigate then all stations to Gatwick (If FGW services are covered by the Southern penalty fares scheme at Reigate, Redhill and Gatwick)

Reading to Bristol TM All stations excluding Aldermaston ,Midgham ,Newbury Racecourse ,Kintbury and Bedwyn

Bristol TM to Cheltenham Spa excluding Lawrence hill and Stapleton road (both stations only served twice daily each way usual service provided by Severn Beach trains which are not a penalty fare route)

Swindon to Cheltenham spa excluding Kemble ,Stroud and Stonehouse

Bristol TM to Severn Beach retains pay train status except for passengers boarding/alighting at Bristol TM

Bristol TM to Cardiff Central retains pay train status except for passengers boarding/alighting at Filton abbey wood or Bristol TM

Bristol TM to Taunton excluding Bedminster, Parson street and Weston Milton

Bristol Tm to Portsmouth HBR / Weymouth all stations to Westbury excluding Freshford and Avoncliff then retains pay train status south of Westbury (not sure if FGW services in SWT penalty fare are classified as penalty fare FGW services).

Melksham services retain pay train status

Exeter S.D to Exmouth all stations excluding St James Park ,Polsoe Bridge, Exton , Lympstone Commando and Lympstone village

Exeter S.D to Paignton all stations excluding Exter St Thomas, Starcross, Dawlish Warren and Torre

Newton Abbot to Truro excluding IvyBRIDGE,Devonport,Keyham,St Budeaux Ferry rd,Saltash,St Germans,Menheniot and Lostwithiel

All Devon and Cornish Branches (except Exmouth and Paignton as mentioned earlier) retain pay train status along with the main line from Truro to Penzanze including all intermediate stations.

This would also explain the recent instalation of ticket barriers at Exeter St Davids , Plymouth and Swindon i believe Bath spa will also be gated soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bristol TM to Severn Beach retains pay train status except for passengers boarding/alighting at Bristol TM

The Severn Beach Line will not be covered at all, this includes if you boarded at Temple Meads, so we've been assured.

Not to sure how likely it'll work. Lots of those stations are unstaffed and none in my area have PERTIS machines. I know Filton has been fitted with a self-service machine. The ticket office there is supposed to open at 1615. I often pass there just before 5pm & I've never seen it open.

Nat the Ned

New ticket vending machines are going in at several stations by the end of this month, think Yate and others have theres already. Of note is a conductor cannot issue a penalty fare only revenue protection staff....

T

Tom

Which is the same on most TOCs IIRC, Nat.

I believe you lot will be only allowed to issue Standard Open/Day Singles?

Nick W

Established Member
I believe you lot will be only allowed to issue Standard Open/Day Singles?

What about these new full fares, which admits that the ToC is out to earn money not stop faredodgin? It's a bloody ****-take.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
IMO, if any TOC was truly out to stop genuine faredodging they'd take all cases of it they could to the court and push for high fines.

Those full fares are a bit odd, there was a glitch in NRES that was showing them a few weeks ago. I notice from the Avantix software they exist for journeys where the start & end or both stations involved are unstafed, with no machines to issue tickets.

Nick W

Established Member
IMO, if any TOC was truly out to stop genuine faredodging they'd take all cases of it they could to the court and push for high fines.

Which go to the normal public pocket instead of the ToC.

Practically any penalty in UK works like that and it's disgraceful that they have to call it a penalty to avoid breaching the magna carta.

devon_metro

Established Member
I can't see it working with certain stations out of the PF areas. I could claim i had boarded somewhere out of it and there is no way they could say I hadn't!

g4mby

Bristol TM to Cheltenham Spa excluding Lawrence hill and Stapleton road (both stations only served twice daily each way usual service provided by Severn Beach trains which are not a penalty fare route)
I wouldn't take list as being 100% accurate. No Bristol to Cheltenham service has called at either Lawrence Hill or Stapleton Road since the timetable change last December.

Presumably the documentation to back up this scheme has been around for a while...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn't take list as being 100% accurate. No Bristol to Cheltenham service has called at either Lawrence Hill or Stapleton Road since the timetable change last December.

Presumably the documentation to back up this scheme has been around for a while...

Unless the OP was referring to the line in general, as there are some services that call Filton Abbey Wood then SRD and/or LWH.

Chriso

Sorry about that i have been in Australia since June and didnt realise the Lawrence hill and Stapleton road stops have been withdrawn from Cheltenham trains.

Also the Paddington - Bristol section should have read Paddington - Westbury

Status
Not open for further replies.