• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
If you're desperate to sample the excellent FGW Pullman food and service, then you can do what I do, buy a Standard Class ticket on the 1200 or 1255 ex Plymouth up Pullmans. Restaurant has never yet been full with 1st Class passengers on those services, although I have noticed a marked increase in the last year of both 1st and Standard pax taking up the offer of a meal. I'll sometimes buy a 1st Advance if the price is reasonable. Failing that Standard Advance to Reading for a leisurely 3 course lunch with aperitif and after meal coffee. Or split at Taunton Off Peak Day Singles to Westbury (1255 only) for 2 courses and coffee. Let staff know you are bailing at Westbury though! I typically spend around £25 on tickets and £40-£50 (inc. tip) on food and drink.

I do my bit to use it or lose it (same goes for Travelling Chef services), but can't afford to do so on a weekly basis like some. My Pullman trips are for leisure and the sheer joy of eating freshly prepared high quality food whilst an ever changing scenery flashes past your window at up to 110mph.

If broadgage here is the same person as a broadgage I know on another forum, then I know he is probably single-handedly responsible for ensuring a good income for the Pullmans! :D

Sante! et Bon Appétit!

The late Brian Perren is looking down on you "approvingly" ....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ATW do on their premier service as far as I'm aware.

And to ones knowledge , the only time a Welsh Train Company has run a full dining service.

(the best the Cambrian Railways could do was a "tea service" - and the GWR of course was a well remember English company !)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPI

Established Member
If you're desperate to sample the excellent FGW Pullman food and service, then you can do what I do, buy a Standard Class ticket on the 1200 or 1255 ex Plymouth up Pullmans. Restaurant has never yet been full with 1st Class passengers on those services, although I have noticed a marked increase in the last year of both 1st and Standard pax taking up the offer of a meal. I'll sometimes buy a 1st Advance if the price is reasonable. Failing that Standard Advance to Reading for a leisurely 3 course lunch with aperitif and after meal coffee. Or split at Taunton Off Peak Day Singles to Westbury (1255 only) for 2 courses and coffee. Let staff know you are bailing at Westbury though! I typically spend around £25 on tickets and £40-£50 (inc. tip) on food and drink.

I do my bit to use it or lose it (same goes for Travelling Chef services), but can't afford to do so on a weekly basis like some. My Pullman trips are for leisure and the sheer joy of eating freshly prepared high quality food whilst an ever changing scenery flashes past your window at up to 110mph.

If broadgage here is the same person as a broadgage I know on another forum, then I know he is probably single-handedly responsible for ensuring a good income for the Pullmans! :D

Sante! et Bon Appétit!

Yes, think i know both of you from another forum, although my name different on here!

sparks2000

Thanks for the reminder about ATW. I can confirm their breakfast service is excellent. Would love to try their evening service but it leaves Cardiff a little to early for me.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Sparks2000, I can certainly ditto your comments regarding the food on the Wag. I've only done the breakfast once, but used the 16:15 around a dozen times. I believe ATW are swapping the restaurant from the 16:15 to the 18:18 later in the year.

mr williams

Rumours abound regarding the reinstatement of another FGW pullman, anyone would think that franchise renewal was approaching!

Funny you should say that, as that was hinted at at a "meet the manager" session at Temple Meads.

sparks2000

If you are using the FGW Pullman dining car on the up service then although reservations are not required it is worth knowing that usually the restaurant staff will need 30 mins or so to set up. So you can't sit in the car directly from Plymouth. However, if you let one of the team know you'd like to reserve a seat they are usually helpful and you can wander down when the car is open.

The service is excellent and the food pretty good too. I think I am going to have to make a special trip on the ATW Cardiff to Holyhead just to do a comparison before these things disappear into our history. The usage on the FGW up train is quite low I feel. A few times I have used it felt as if there were as many staff as customers. I guess the team operate the down train so perhaps the down service can cover the costs of up & down.

One other thing - you can't do this Plymouth to Taunton, you'll need more time.

Last edited:

broadgage

I cant speak for Plymouth to Taunton, but there is definatly time to enjoy a leisurely meal from Taunton to London.
I do regularly, and also the other way which can be a little more rushed, but still enjoyable.

Rumour suggested that a return Pullman would be re-instated from the last timetable change, but nothing happened:cry:

Maybe in the next timetable change :D

Essexman

Established Member
When I travelled meal wasn't rushed. They didn't take orders until almost Exeter. Suited me as meant I could sit in restaurant all the way to London. Someone joined at Castle Cary travelling to Reading and they said not time for main course, just starter & desert. I don't think you could eat full meal Plymouth - Taunton.

Status
Not open for further replies.