• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve158

spm_43030 said:
I didnt know that Turbos are stabled at Tysley depot!! :o

Are you sure they arnt Chiltern's units, as they have a fleet of Turbo units aswell..... :?:

no, they have the FGWL logo on the side. best time to see them is sundays, that's when i've seen them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrew

Turbos used to work all the way to Hereford when it was Thames Trains, and early FGWL days. Not that anyone's complaining they don't get that far nowadays - as FGWfan pointed out 3+2 seating isn't exactly suited to the journey! As far as width goes, I don't think it's a major problem - they're fairly similar bodies to the 170 fleet surely?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Andrew said:
hereford HSTs (M-F) are:

0748 padd - Hereford
1152 padd - Hereford
1722 padd - Hereford
1822 padd - Hereford

(starting from next week that is)
FGWFan said:
REALLY?! Four HSTs a day? I don't think so, they've got to be 180s on the first two.

Yep, they are 180. At least, they're marked with the "A" in the new FGW/L Book3.

Aha! I knew I had read the new TT correctly!

spm_43030, your understanding follows mine, that Turbos have wide bodyshells, so they are restricted in where they work. But they are definately NOT banned beyond Great Malvern. Otherwise they wouldn't have reached the destination in the link, nor would have I photted it!:

http://julianwhitby4769.fotopic.net/p3714562.html

And yes, that was photted way back in 2003, when it was still Thames Trains. Nearly 2 years since I photted that with my then 2-day digital camera.

I also was surprised to see an FGWL 165/6 in Tyseley depot recently, when I saw the photo by heart-of-wessex! Bound to be one I need too.

When I get the chance, I'll be off to Great Malvern to check the sight of a 165/166 in Malvern out. A photo will, of course, follow. Don't expect it soon though.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
the 0748 IS a HST, btw, dunno where you got the 'A' from!, it says W (meaning Worcester) and underneath a Cup instead of an 'A'

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was referring to the first two off Paddington, not Hereford. The first two off the latter are still HSTs, and always will be.

AlexS

Established Member
Lots of different companies trains end up at Tyseley for one reason or another - it's the most able DMU depot in terms of heavy maintainance and repair in the country. Arriva Trains Wales Valley Lines 150s aren't uncommon, neither are Chiltern Railways, or the occasional First Turbo with a serious fault. The Network Rail 101 occasionally goes in there too, as do the Cotswold HSTs and so on. The depot is owned by Maintrain, so any operator can use it as long as they can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.