• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Sleeper Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A re-furbishment/re-fresh plan is currently being worked out for the FGW "*night riviera" and plans of this should be reveiled by next month hopefully. My guess for the livery would be a gold version of "Dynamic Lines" and reguarding FSR's "caledonian sleeper" livery this will presumably change when fsr goes "Dynamic"

T

Tom

Doubt it'll be dynamic lines. FGW have given up using Dynamic Lines on the high speed fleet and it's more a corporate livery train that one!

devon_metro

Established Member
Doubt it'll be dynamic lines. FGW have given up using Dynamic Lines on the high speed fleet and it's more a corporate livery train that one!

No they have not, they are looking for tougher vinyls i heard.

T

Tom

Tougher vinyls for what? The heat?

They should have thought of that before putting them on...

devon_metro

Established Member
Tougher vinyls for what? The heat?

They should have thought of that before putting them on...

No they were getting damaged in the carriage washers.
LA19 is still about though!

Also the MD is not happy with the positions of the lines. :roll:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I want the plain navy they are using on power cars such as 43133 to remain. It holds the last shread of dignity that FGW has. It looks tidy, it looks posh, much better than the feminine pinks and purples they insist on.

No, FGW would be better off under male management again...

devon_metro

Established Member
I want the plain navy they are using on power cars such as 43133 to remain. It holds the last shread of dignity that FGW has. It looks tidy, it looks posh, much better than the feminine pinks and purples they insist on.

No, FGW would be better off under male management again...

I agree, i like the livery on the new re-furb powercars.

Sprog

Established Member
I do still reallly like the Neon livery, despite waht anyone says.

FGW are currently looking at their options on this one.

The 'minimalist' blue being applied to the re-engined P/Cs is just tempory at the moment, but it is going to be the base for any colour scheme, wether it is basic or full-on 'trippin!!

Apparnetly, the thinking at the moment is that the 'wavvy lines' will start on P/Cs from the guards van door, leaving the main body clean of anything but 'First (f) Great Western' branding.

Also, the postion/style of the Dynamic lines on the trailers maybe revised aswell.

But as Liam says, i think at the moment, they are trying to find the toughest, most suitable vynals for the job, so the little Valenta Taliban cant peel them off! :lol:

16CSVT2700

Established Member
But as Liam says, i think at the moment, they are trying to find the toughest, most suitable vynals for the job, so the little Valenta Taliban cant peel them off! :lol:

It's Valenta Veg and Tram Taliban matey 8)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I really like that livery, it looks very nice on the 185s in particular :)

I hope the vinyls they use are better than the ones they used on the TPE 158s, they have been looking very tatty for ages now!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Apparnetly, the thinking at the moment is that the 'wavvy lines' will start on P/Cs from the guards van door, leaving the main body clean of anything but 'First (f) Great Western' branding.

What a pity they can't put Inter-City 125 branding on the side instead!

Turbostar

Not all the re-engined P/Cs are in the plain blue livery afaik. I've noticed a lot of them going past work lately in the norm FGW livery.

Mart

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Are you sure?
I've seen all MTU'd power cars as recently as yesterday, and they are all in plain blue.

You must be confusing MTUs with VP185-engined barbie-liveried power cars.

Sprog

Established Member
Not all the re-engined P/Cs are in the plain blue livery afaik. I've noticed a lot of them going past work lately in the norm FGW livery.

Mart

Wrong. Sorry,

Only 'prototypes' 43004 and 43009 ever carried FGW 'Barbie' and that was after they had been been re-engined at Brush.

They where then painted into 'Neon' livery for the First 'Greater' Western press Launch on April 1st, and since then, both 009 (1st) and 004 (2nd) have gone through 'F' exams at LAira depot and been painted in 'Basic Blue'.

43009 (? - cant remember which was released first [scuse pun :lol:]) was initially painted in Purple/Blue base colour and vynled up with Angel trains branding for the press launch of the MTU P/Cs, but was put straight into Barbie unpon entering trials/service.

All 'production' MTU powercars have been released from the Brush paintshop in 'Basic Blue'.

43175 also carried the Angel branding similar to '009' for the press launch of the production MTU re-engines, but again was be-branded and had 'First Great Western' applied upon delivery to Landore for commissioning.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aye, I was trying to think of any examples that weren't, hence the lack of a previous reply. As it is, there are definately not any MTUs that are in Barbie. The only exception to the blue MTU'd PCs is 009, in Lightning livery.

Nat the Ned

43009 is now plain blue as the rest of the fleet. There are some mint ex works Valentas about, such as 43023, pictured here a couple of weeks ago while waiting for the Welsh Rugby Specials. Why First are bothering to repaint these in Barbie livery is beyond me........

Turbostar

I beg to differ. There are some in FGW livery, the rest in the plain blue with FGW branding. I can tell the diff in sound between a Valenta-powered unit, & a MTU thanks, especially when your hearing them (& seeing them when you get the chance to) go past your place of work every day, & being at the start of the thrash up Hemerdon, the difference is very distinctive.

Mart

Nat the Ned

The MTU fleet are now ALL in the new all over dark blue. The only exception there has ever been was 43004 and 43009 which where the first two MTUs and painted in Barbie when they first came out, and then for the April 1st 2006 launch of the 'New Greater Western' they appeared in 'dynamic lines' livery. These two are now both in all over blue as the more recent conversions, 43009 was released from Laira after an F exam just over a week ago having lost its lines....

43168, 43169, 43170 are fitted with VP185 engines which sound much closer to a MTU than a Valenta, they have had these engines a long while now (at least ten years) and these carry Barbie livery.........

As for the sleeper stock, dont expect to see that in a new livery for a while yet. Next to appear in the new look should be a class 158.........

N

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I beg to differ. There are some in FGW livery, the rest in the plain blue with FGW branding. I can tell the diff in sound between a Valenta-powered unit, & a MTU thanks, especially when your hearing them (& seeing them when you get the chance to) go past your place of work every day, & being at the start of the thrash up Hemerdon, the difference is very distinctive.

Mart

WRONG!

ALL MTU engined power cars are in PLAIN BLUE.
There are NONE in Barbie whatsoever!

Like I and Nat have said the ones you are apparently hearing / seeing in Barbie are 12VP185M1/M2 engined power cars. NOT MTU'd ones.

Mart if you STILL don't believe me and think you're 100% right in this, watch my video of 2 HSTs crossing at Taplow;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX2Nm_WX9X4

Set 1: Valenta 12RP100L and 12VP185M1
Set 2: MTU 16v4000R41 x2

The MTU engine has a deeper bass tone to it than the VP185.

86242, you are correct in saying 9 and 4 were barbie'd when released to traffic, however 009 was in purple/blueish colour with angel branding at first. These were changed to neon for the Manager's special in April, and then both de-branded to plain blue fairly recently.

T

Tom

Mart, you are the one in the wrong I'm afraid.

All MTUd HST power cars are in FGW dark blue, not barbie.

43168, 43169, 43170 are fitted with VP185 engines which sound much closer to a MTU than a Valenta, they have had these engines a long while now (at least ten years) and these carry Barbie livery.........

Not to forget 43177, 43179 and 43191 ;) Also, 43168 is set to lose it's VP185 very soon.

Jamster is very much correct, there are no MTU engined powercars in service, which are painted in Barbie Livery. How is Laira looking today? Littered with EX-Rio powercars and stock no doubt?

devon_metro

Established Member
Maybe the HST is idling or a useless VP185. It is a fact as mentioned above that all fGW MTUs are in Blue!

What headlight style did this so called Barbie MTU have?

Turbostar

Maybe I was wrong then, & I apologise. I forgot about the other Valenta-engined units. But there's def a lack of 'WOOSH' from these barbie-liveried cars, that you get with the basic Valenta units, & def a low droning sound, so I take it it's them, abeit there's only a handful of them. I can't see the numbers unless I'm on break or lunch, & standing outside having a smoke lol, if I'm at the front of the store I can see through the front what it is, or if I'm in the building section, I can see them from there. As for Laira, last time I looked when I go past on the bus home, there was MML units in the sidings next to Lipson Junc., as well as carriage stock awaiting transfer, & they've started using the sidings alongside Embankment Road to store carriage stock awaiting transfer (MML & Virgin), so I presume there's a transfer gonna take place soon, albeit the stock has been in there for the past few weeks, being moved occasionly from siding to siding by the shunter. One again, apologies for any misunderstanding.

Mart

Btw, is anyone a member of the 125 Group, & is it worth it?

Sprog

Established Member
Maybe I was wrong then, & I apologise. I forgot about the other Valenta-engined units. But there's def a lack of 'WOOSH' from these barbie-liveried cars, that you get with the basic Valenta units, & def a low droning sound, so I take it it's them, abeit there's only a handful of them.

Deffinatly VP185s then.

The VP185 is built by Paxman, the people who built the Valenta aswell. The Valentas full title is:

12RP200L 'VALENTA'.

The reason they dont 'scream' is because VP185s have 6 individual turbo chargers, which are similar in size to one you'd get in a lorry/large vehicle, as opposed to the Valenta's single Napier TurboBlower.

The VP185s where basically built to be the replacement for the Valentas, but it never really went as planned. They are supposed be be better then the Valentas - quiter, cleaner, more fuel and oil effiecient etc.

But in reality, they really arent that much differant from Valentas.

Also, they are a total bugger to maintain! 90 degree cylinders! OHH dear!!!!!!!!

The only TOC who seem really interested in the 'VP' are Midland Mainline, who are slowly fitting all their powercar fleet with them. IIRC theres only around 5 Valenta P/Cs left now with MML.

First's 'VP' fleet is rather small anyway (5 or so?) and will soon be diminishing quickly because they are now considered non-standard, so they will be MTU-tated ;)) ) pretty sharp-ish i presume.

And for anyone whos interested, the Australian's 'XPT' powercars (the XPT is basically a HST with a few tweaks and differant stock, such a TWO cooler groups :shock: 8) ) have been re-engined with VP185s quite recently aswell.

TheSlash

Established Member
What i'd really like to know, with respect to The Sprog, is how SWT and various other TOC's survived on 2 or 3 liveries for they're inherited stock, yet FGW in they're various formats, have about 25 liveries when there is surely more important things to spend the money on :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.