• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementalpat

Looks like the Monday rush to work may be slightly chaotic thanks to a depot derailment at Reading.

Even at normal times, FGW peak trains are crowded enough. Can't imagine what things will be like today!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Looks like the Monday rush to work may be slightly chaotic thanks to a depot derailment at Reading.

Even at normal times, FGW peak trains are crowded enough. Can't imagine what things will be like today!

Just left Reading on a Bournemouth XC service about 20 minutes ago, services seem to be running no more that 20 minutes behind schedule. Though a few have been altered and are starting from different locations. Staff seem to have grip of the situation, not bad for a Monday morning.

ushawk

Established Member
Looking on the FGW journey check website, there are 1 coach trains running on the Winsdor - Slough line - have they managed to get a 153 up from the South West at short notice ?

CC 72100

Established Member
Looking on the FGW journey check website, there are 1 coach trains running on the Winsdor - Slough line - have they managed to get a 153 up from the South West at short notice ?

That's what someone said on their Facebook page too, to which they responded that one of the coaches was unavailable for use or something like that :s

My first thought was a 153 too!

tsr

Established Member
There are plenty of warnings online about possible problems between Reading and Gatwick Airport. I might pop out and see what's going on, but looking at the service running information, no cancellations or delays are apparent and no significant issues have appeared all morning.

Frankly, if they run out of 165s and 166s, I can't see what they'll substitute for those on the Guildford-Reigate section!

TEW

Established Member
That's what someone said on their Facebook page too, to which they responded that one of the coaches was unavailable for use or something like that :s

My first thought was a 153 too!

One carriage of 165126 has been locked out due to a door fault.

anthony263

Established Member
There are plenty of warnings online about possible problems between Reading and Gatwick Airport. I might pop out and see what's going on, but looking at the service running information, no cancellations or delays are apparent and no significant issues have appeared all morning.

Frankly, if they run out of 165s and 166s, I can't see what they'll substitute for those on the Guildford-Reigate section!

I think the Reading - Gatwick runs will be fine its the hort workiings on the north downs line which are more likely to be cancelled at short notice

tsr

Established Member
I think the Reading - Gatwick runs will be fine its the hort workiings on the north downs line which are more likely to be cancelled at short notice

Well, they've been fine so far, and what's more, it's definitely the "Reading to Gatwick Airport" route that's mentioned on the NRE site. In times of disruption the Gatwick Airport services can often be terminated at Redhill, with extra calls added in as necessary at the smaller stations between Wokingham and Reigate.

CC 72100

Established Member
One carriage of 165126 has been locked out due to a door fault.

That sounds more like it! For the record, has a 153 ever been sent London-bound to help on FGW operations when short on Turbos?

fgwrich

Established Member
That sounds more like it! For the record, has a 153 ever been sent London-bound to help on FGW operations when short on Turbos?

Doubt it - Different traction knowledge (although i wonder how long it is before we if at all see any on our branch?)...Speaking of the Bas Branch, 19 Units are trapped in the depot, including our 150s. So Reading to Basingstoke is now on Hourly service with a 2 Car 165.

tsr

Established Member
Reading-Basingstoke is now the only route to be affected by this incident, with delays of up to 30 minutes to overall journey times; buses are supplementing the train service and ticket acceptance on SWT/XC remains in place. Hopefully the evening peak will be OK.

cm39275

The problems where caused by 165114 have one off its bogies on the middle coach which all wheels becoming derailed as a result at Reading triangle upper sidings at 0130 on monday mourning, which resulted in 19 turbos being trapped till about 1530 this afternoon.

tsr

Established Member
The problems where caused by 165114 have one off its bogies on the middle coach which all wheels becoming derailed as a result at Reading triangle upper sidings at 0130 on monday mourning, which resulted in 19 turbos being trapped till about 1530 this afternoon.

Well, they were either very lucky or suddenly impressively competent ;) to run as good a service as they did, under the circumstances. I noticed there was at least one "stranger" Turbo Express on the North Downs Line today - in fact, I think it had a fault, as it was late and bumbling along in a louder, slower and more clunky way than normal when it was going under Madeira Walk footbridge (in Reigate). I can't remember its number off the top of my head just now... boo!

I was on 165114 a few weeks ago and it was running smoothly enough, so it's a pity if it's been considerably damaged. The internal displays were faulty, though, but that is very insignificant in light of today's problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.