• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fife Circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver9000

Established Member
If I buy a return from Edinburgh to say Glenrothes on the Circle service, are you allowed to use the return portion of the ticket to complete the circle (ie return via Burntisland) or do you have to return in the opposite direction to the way you went out?. Im asking as I want to sample the loco-hauled service when it begins and I found a fare of about £6.40, although that was Cardenden....

I hope my post makes sense, and thanks for the advice in advance. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Hi there! :) You can use tickets to Glenrothes in both directions, as it's a case of "whatever train arrives first gets to Edinburgh first". You can stay on I'm sure, although you may get a few strange looks from the guard :lol:

As for the price; £7.40 Off Peak Day Return gets you around the circle, ticket for either Glenrothes or Cardenden.

driver9000

Established Member
Thanks for the reply me123! He is more than welcome to look at me strangley - everyone else does :)

£7.40 less a Priv discount makes it a very attractive trip out in proper coaches :)

glynn80

Established Member
Hi there! :) You can use tickets to Glenrothes in both directions, as it's a case of "whatever train arrives first gets to Edinburgh first". You can stay on I'm sure, although you may get a few strange looks from the guard :lol:

As for the price; £7.40 Off Peak Day Return gets you around the circle, ticket for either Glenrothes or Cardenden.

It isn't the case of which train gets the Edinburgh first! The fastest route is not neccesarily the route you are permitted to take. It's what the routeing guide says is valid. The ticket is valid as the routeing guide states that ALL direct trains are valid (providing you have an 'Any Permitted' ticket). So actually a return to Rosyth would be valid around the whole loop, as once you get to Rosyth your using your return portion on a direct train to Edinburgh (as long as it is a through train to Edinburgh and you do not have to change).

me123

Established Member
^That's correct. Wasn't thinking straight at the time of posting :oops: So, as said, you could do this with Rosyth or Dalgety Bay quite easily :) Of course, the staff might not like this, but it is perfectly valid.

EDIT: I know what I was thinking! It's easier to use the ticket than at other stations. How many people go Rosyth-Edinburgh via Glenrothes?

rail-britain

Established Member
EDIT: I know what I was thinking! It's easier to use the ticket than at other stations. How many people go Rosyth-Edinburgh via Glenrothes?
It can be suggested by staff quite often to travel the wrong way, resulting in getting to Edinburgh earlier than if waiting for a train going in the correct direct direction, would happen if such a train had just been missed
I believe it can also happen if you just miss one of the Perth - Edinburgh services, where rather than take the next Perth - Stirling it is marginally quicker to take the next Perth - Dundee and then Dundee - Edinburgh, although the time savings in most of these will be minimal

Another such dilemma can occur on the Cathcart Circle
Sometimes it can be quicker to travel via Glasgow Central, Mount Florida - Kings Park, or Langside - Kings Park, rather than a direct service

Anothers that come to mind is Glasgow - Hillington West, where you can travel via Paisley and arrive before the direct service!

Status
Not open for further replies.