• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fife Circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am travelling up to Edinburgh on April 9th for a couple of days of route bashing. On the 11th, I am thinking of doing the 'Fife Circle'. Someone has told me that apparently ScotRail run loco-hauled services round the 'Fife Circle'? If possible I would like to know the following?

• When do the loco hauled services run?
  • Where can I have a look at the releavant diagrams?
  • What DMU's run the 'Fife Circle' when there is no loco hauled?

Also, could anyone possibly tell me if there is any type of 'Day Ranger' ticket for the 'Fife Circle' or would it just be better to by a RTN from 'Glenrothes with Thornton's'?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Matthew
:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wensley

Established Member
I've found the evening run the best

1708 ex-Waverley. I tend to buy my ticket in advance, 1708 ex-Waverley and 1811 ex-Glenrothes. The return ticket will show a change, but if you stay on the loco hauled it gets you back, just takes a little longer!

Buy a return to Rosyth, not Glenrothes. It is cheaper and valid since it is a direct train for both outbound and return journeys.

Established Member
Buy a return to Rosyth, not Glenrothes. It is cheaper and valid since it is a direct train for both outbound and return journeys.

Did the same journey a couple of years ago on this ticket and didn't have any problems. The only problem is that the train leaves during the evening peak from Waverley so you need an anytime return.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I will look into this and then let you all know how I get on. Many thanks.

Matthew
:D

This statement in the Routeing Guide instructions basically is the catch-all for doing this journey on a Rosyth ticket.

You only need refer to the Routeing Guide when a customer is not using an advertised through train or the shortest route.

There are negative easements prohibiting the journey but as a result of the above statement they are unenforceable and are mainly there to 'aid' booking engines. Obviously you would not be able to break journey at somewhere like Glenrothes on a Rosyth ticket. Pretty sure guards are very accepting of the situation, I would explain you are doing the full circle when the tickets are checked.

If you like, PM me and I may come do the Circle with you since I haven't done it yet (I live in Edinburgh). I do have my thesis deadline at 4pm that day so should be able to get to Waverley in good time. However, I may join the train at South Gyle since that would allow travel on an Off Peak ticket. The evening peak restriction only applies to passengers joining at Waverley or Haymarket.

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
I've found the evening run the best

1708 ex-Waverley. I tend to buy my ticket in advance, 1708 ex-Waverley and 1811 ex-Glenrothes. The return ticket will show a change, but if you stay on the loco hauled it gets you back, just takes a little longer!

Just a note of caution - the 1708 Edinburgh - Fife Circle - Edinburgh was a unit on Wednesday, although the 1721 Edinbugh - Cardenden was 67017.
There were two 67s working the Fife Circle on Tuesday morning (017 on 0736 Cardenden - Edinburgh, and 028 on 0633 Edinburgh - Fife Circle - Edinburgh)

Status
Not open for further replies.