• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fife Circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upton

I will be visiting Scotland in May, staying in Edinburgh. I intend to take a trip on the Fife Circle all the way round it. Is it possible to buy a ticket that allows this? Or do I need to get two singles to/from Thornton for instance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Return from Edinburgh to Rosyth or Dalgety Bay would be valid for this train as it is advertised as a direct Edinbugh-Edinburgh service and thus a ticket is valid both the short and long way round.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Return from Edinburgh to Rosyth or Dalgety Bay would be valid for this train as it is advertised as a direct Edinbugh-Edinburgh service and thus a ticket is valid both the short and long way round.

and dependant on what side of the Locos and coaches V units fence your on, the 17:08 is MK2 and 67 worked with the nice cumfy seats! :)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I regularly work the "Fife Circle" route. Firstly you have to decide whether you want to do the whole circle in a 'oner' so to speak ie out & back on the same train with no stops or if you want to break your journey at various stations enroute.

For the full circle with no break you only need a return to Rosyth Halt or Dalgety Bay it does not matter which.

Personally I think it beneficial to get off and see a bit of the country so would suggest alighting at Aberdour (Castle, beach. old church, doocot, &c), Dunfermline Town (Palace, Abbey, Abbot's Hoose, Park, &c), & Dalmeny (right under "the Bridge - just walk down the path towards the Hawes Pier - lots of pubs, hotels, & ferry to Inchcolm Island).

If breaking your journey then you will need a return to the dearest priced station that you intend to visit - if you are sure that you want to break but are not sure where (ie you want to be flexible due to weather conditions* or just fancy the freedom to alight at will) then buy a ticket to Glenrothes with Thornton.

Any Questions then feel free to post here or PM me. Enjoy! :D

*weather condition can be vastly different at the various stations enroute - just like today rain at one stop then sunshine at the next*

scotsman

Established Member
Personally I think it beneficial to get off and see a bit of the country so would suggest alighting at Aberdour (Castle, beach. old church, doocot, &c), Dunfermline Town (Palace, Abbey, Abbot's Hoose, Park, &c), & Dalmeny (right under "the Bridge - just walk down the path towards the Hawes Pier - lots of pubs, hotels, & ferry to Inchcolm Island).
Being a resident of one of the places mentioned, I can vouch for all mentioned (Dunfermline Town is a fair walk from the rest of the town, while Dalmeny is 5 minutes steep down hill)

Essexman

Established Member
Can anyone tell me if the 17.08 from Edinburgh is still locomotive hauled?
Also if there are any other Fife Cirlce evening trains that are loco hauled.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.