• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Film about a hijacked train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jones 88

My brother told me that whilst at someone else's house he see the end of a film where someone hijacked a train to Hastings with the intention of crashing it on purpoise and it got me wondering if someone in real life managed to overpower a driver, how far would they actually get before an intervention?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Unless they knew the train they'd hijacked, less than a minute before the Driver Vigilance Device or Dead man's pedal would stop the train. If the signaller became aware the train was overpowered they could (would?) bring trains to a safe position then set signals to red. It's a famous aspect of the great train robbery that the man found by the gang to move the train couldn't drive the train loco, so they had to force the original driver to do it.

Gloster

Established Member
Almost certainly Last Passenger from 2013. It doesn’t sound like a film I will be queuing to see.

quantinghome

Established Member
Surely no train hijack film can compare to 'Derailed' starring Jean Claude Van Damme?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Plot hole alert - If someone hijacked a train to Hastings, wouldn't they just route it past Ore and let it run out of juice ?

I'd quite like to see the film though !

Paul Jones 88

The original Pelham 123 with Karl Maldon was the best version, first saw it on the telly when I was about eleven and it looked so exciting, I now have the DVD and still enjoy it.

Peter C

Established Member
Plot hole alert - If someone hijacked a train to Hastings, wouldn't they just route it past Ore and let it run out of juice ?

If you're talking about "Last Passenger", the continuity in that's all over the shop. At one point, the unit is a 4-VEP or similar, and then it's a Thumper of some sort, and then it blows up...

(But I digress ;))

-Peter

Paul Jones 88

I now realise that this might be a subject of concern so please don't put anything out that a person of ill-intent could use to their advantage, I was merely curious to the subject matter of the film and how long it would take in real life for the person to be stopped.

GALLANTON

I now realise that this might be a subject of concern so please don't put anything out that a person of ill-intent could use to their advantage, I was merely curious to the subject matter of the film and how long it would take in real life for the person to be stopped.

I think we need to calm down a wee bit here and take a breath. I've seen this film and I'm pretty certain there was nothing in the film that anyone could even remotley use to disrupt a train in the real world.

baz962

Established Member
Wouldn't take even a minute. Without any knowledge whatsoever , they wouldn't get it moving.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I think we need to calm down a wee bit here and take a breath. I've seen this film and I'm pretty certain there was nothing in the film that anyone could even remotley use to disrupt a train in the real world.

Not in the film perhaps, no. But in this discussion…? Well I hope we can all be a bit restrained and make sure it stays safe.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Please let’s not post a whole list of ways to circumvent the various safety systems that can stop a train.
I think there are enough videos on the web and sufficient access to simulators, such as those by DTG, that would render any information we can provide surplus.
The original Pelham 123 with Karl Maldon was the best version, first saw it on the telly when I was about eleven and it looked so exciting, I now have the DVD and still enjoy it.
I more of a The Bullet Train guy, although that involves putting a bomb on a train, not hijacking it. Cookie to whoever can tell me what film rips it off. I need to dig out my DVD of the OG Pelham 123.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you're talking about "Last Passenger", the continuity in that's all over the shop. At one point, the unit is a 4-VEP or similar, and then it's a Thumper of some sort, and then it blows up...

(But I digress ;))

-Peter

I definitely want to watch it as it stars such classic rolling stock.

Come to think of it, if it was being driven from Tonbridge, it wouldn't get past the curve at Bo-Peep junction !

Peter C

Established Member
I definitely want to watch it as it stars such classic rolling stock.

Come to think of it, if it was being driven from Tonbridge, it wouldn't get past the curve at Bo-Peep junction !
That's a good enough reason I think :)
I don't know the area but it is a good watch.

-Peter

Fincra5

Established Member

It was dire film. Cheaply made.

Was an old Slammer EMU pretending to be a DMU. Someone disabled the PassCom (Chord) brakes, so the train is going to hit the buffers at Hastings (which it doesn't have but the Bay, which is the other way to the train heads...).

There's a hilarious bit where the hijacker slows the train for a tight bend in tunnel and the police try to stop the train using sandbags...

randyrippley

Established Member

(But I digress ;))

-Peter
Its a CIG with VEP doors, a CIG cab that becomes a thumper, and is diesel powered.
And has a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher that explodes with a fireball

Easily found on your usual bootleg downloads site, which will remain nameless

Tomo

Weird... I had this exact thought earlier today but also wondered what could be done to stop it if the hijacker knew how to drive a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.