• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Film about a hijacked train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
No-one has yet mentioned "Back to the Future" Part 3

Another classic, the Titfield Thunderbolt, also sees two very drunken naughty individuals stealing a steam locomotive from a railway yard, and which they promptly crash into a tree.
After it runs off a turntable and through the streets. They also "hijack" Old Dan's house (a grounded railway carriage) and mount it on a flat wagon for use in the inaugural train after the original train is wrecked by the baddies from the bus company.

Last edited:

Sean Emmett

North West Frontier and Once Upon a Time in the West my fave railway films. Rail scenes in both part filmed in Spain. As was Dr Zhivago.

87 027

Silver Streak (1976) is another great train movie, which does involve a hijacking of sorts in amongst several other capers. Also the birth of the Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor double-act.
One of my favourites also. Driver's safety device overcome by simply holding the pedal down with a toolbox after the driver was shot, leading to a very spectacular crash through the barriers at the end...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Major thread drift alert.....

Anyone remember the 70s spoof disaster movie 'The Big Bus' about a nuclear powered bus?
Yes! I saw it once, probably when I was in my early teens. I've never seen it since, though.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Technically, I suppose, the 1936 film "The Last Journey" could be said to be a train hi-jack, albeit by a member of the crew.

If you haven't seen it, it's about the last journey by a GWR express driver (Bob Holt, played by Julien Mitchell) who's depressed at the thought of early retirement and also believes that his wife is having an affair with his fireman. The train leaves Paddington and during the journey Bob has a mental breakdown and tries to kill the fireman, who escapes; Bob is eventually calmed down by a doctor on board, and all ends well.

It was filmed on the GWR (they gave the film company full access over a number of weekends, I believe) and features a lot of the locos from that era. The express train loco changes from a King to a Castle to a Hall to a Castle and back to a King (I may have the order wrong, but I do know that it changes rapidly!).

It's a very good film, and worth watching if you haven't done so. I think that I got my copy from the British Film Institute, but I guess that it's available from other sources as well.
Yes its a good film, Talking Pictures have shewn it

ac6000cw

Established Member
The 'bus' equivalent, "Speed". :)
...which is also a great film of the non-stop-action genre - and the finale involves a hijacked LA subway train, so it's not all rubber tyred action :)
(It even won a couple of Oscars for sound).

Andrew S

Going very off topic, sorry, but I love the "Speed" inspired milk float sequence in Father Ted.

Darandio

Established Member
Nobody has mentioned 'Atomic Train' yet? :lol:

Those of you who get seriously annoyed with continuity will love it, I believe the train featured on the advertising poster isn't even in the actual movie and completely different trains are used. I'm not even sure the train class featured on the poster even existed any more at the time the movie was released.

Neo9320

Nobody has mentioned 'Atomic Train' yet? :lol:

Those of you who get seriously annoyed with continuity will love it, I believe the train featured on the advertising poster isn't even in the actual movie and completely different trains are used. I'm not even sure the train class featured on the poster even existed any more at the time the movie was released.
Brilliant movie! Total guilty pleasure! Watch it whenever it’s on, purely for its cringeworthy factor

whoosh

Established Member
Glad I'm in good company regarding opinion of the original, 'Taking of Pelham 123'.
What a great film!

The book is worth a read too, with an attempt for Woodlawn 141 to follow the hijacked train using the express tracks when it sets off after the money has been handed over.
Also it's the Motorman who gets killed, rather than the Conductor. I suppose the film used the Conductor as we'd got to know him more and he was looking to progress in life - the viewer was more invested in that character.

Enjoyed the Father Ted reference about boxes in the road!

I remember 'The Big Bus' too.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Under Siege 2. Steven Seagal as an ex Navy SEAL on a hijacked train through the Rockies(?) with his daughter (or possibly niece?)

Definitely a so-bad-its-good guilty pleasure.

It’s beyond that - it’s so bad it’s not even good bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.