• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filming locations on the Bakerloo line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehmuli

Hi,

I'm travelling to London next week (perfect timing with the strike of course), and I was wondering if there are any good locations to film Bakerloo line trains along that line, apart from stations? I'm specifically interested in the Bakerloo line, because of its old trains and because I haven't travelled on it very much on my previous visits. I've heard and also have personal experience, that sometimes the station staff are trying to prevent photography (although I'm only filming for personal use), which is one reason why I'm asking for filming places outside stations.

Thanks for any replies!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi,

I'm travelling to London next week (perfect timing with the strike of course), and I was wondering if there are any good locations to film Bakerloo line trains along that line, apart from stations? I'm specifically interested in the Bakerloo line, because of its old trains and because I haven't travelled on it very much on my previous visits. I've heard and also have personal experience, that sometimes the station staff are trying to prevent photography (although I'm only filming for personal use), which is one reason why I'm asking for filming places outside stations.

Thanks for any replies!
Lambeth North would be my bet if you just want Bakerloo units. I think that's the most quieter stations in zone 1

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
South Kenton has some merit -and a short walk on the down side through a safe park allows you to access the Windermere Avenue footbridge (a well known photo sight - gives good views of the WCML also)

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Worth mentioning that the strike will likely have an impact on the Bakerloo, given that the section north of Queen’s Park is Network Rail infrastructure (including power and signals staff).

boiledbeans2

[...]and I was wondering if there are any good locations to film Bakerloo line trains along that line, apart from stations?[...]

My reply isn't about filming, but rather "must-visit" locations on the Bakerloo, as I notice you're from outside the UK and you mention you haven't travelled much.

1) Visit Piccadilly Circus station: At one end of the platform, you can see a crossover and have a view of both platforms. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Piccadilly_Circus_-_Bakerloo_crossover_01.jpg

2) Ride the train between Queen's Park and Kensal Green stations. The train goes through a working depot between those stations.

3) The tracks between Kensal Green and Harrow & Wealdstone are shared between the smaller tube trains and full-sized National Rail trains. So you can get some photos showing the difference in sizes between the trains, e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/8075047283

4) Waterloo station is a good photo opportunity, because of the sharp curve of the platform. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Waterloo_Underground_station_(Bakerloo_Line),_SE1_-_geograph.org.uk_-_874223.jpg
Not so good for filming though, because of the very loud squeal from the sharp curve.

I have taken many photos/videos at Bakerloo line stations with no problems, but I usually don't stay very long, e.g. 10 minutes maximum at the end of Piccadilly Circus station waiting for good photo opportunities. Then I move on to somewhere else before staff notice me.

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
2) Ride the train between Queen's Park and Kensal Green stations. The train goes through a working depot between those stations.
Slightly misleading, although not deliberately so; 'covered sidings' / 'train shed' would be more appropriate rather than 'working depot'. Queen's Park North Sheds are used for reversing trains and overnight stabling - no 'maintenance' etc. is performed beyond that relevant to train prep duties.

boiledbeans2

Slightly misleading, although not deliberately so; 'covered sidings' / 'train shed' would be more appropriate rather than 'working depot'. Queen's Park North Sheds are used for reversing trains and overnight stabling - no 'maintenance' etc. is performed beyond that relevant to train prep duties.
Thanks for the correction. It's been some time since I last went there, so my memory was a bit hazy.

But still an interesting place to ride through. I remember the trains going very slowly, sometimes (or always?) even stopping, so you get a good look at the train shed.

Last edited:

Lewlew

Thanks for the correction. It's been some time since I last went there, so my memory was a bit hazy.

But still an interesting place to ride through. I remember the trains going very slowly, sometimes (or always?) even stopping, so you get a good look at the train shed.
10mph northbound
15mph southbound

Often held at a signal waiting for access onto the network rail line or into the southbound platform. Only sometimes though.

Lehmuli

South Kenton has some merit -and a short walk on the down side through a safe park allows you to access the Windermere Avenue footbridge (a well known photo sight - gives good views of the WCML also)
Do you mean the footbridge at Northwick Park that comes out on Conway Gardens? I was just looking at this location on Google Maps as it's quite close to my hotel.
Worth mentioning that the strike will likely have an impact on the Bakerloo, given that the section north of Queen’s Park is Network Rail infrastructure (including power and signals staff).
Yes, and also the Underground's own strike on Tuesday will be a problem, but I'll try and plan any rail-related activities for other days.
4) Waterloo station is a good photo opportunity, because of the sharp curve of the platform. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Waterloo_Underground_station_(Bakerloo_Line),_SE1_-_geograph.org.uk_-_874223.jpg
Not so good for filming though, because of the very loud squeal from the sharp curve.
Does filming specifically mean taking a video? I thought it just meant photography in general. I am planning to mostly just take photos, but I might shoot an occasional video or two.

boiledbeans2

Does filming specifically mean taking a video? I thought it just meant photography in general. I am planning to mostly just take photos, but I might shoot an occasional video or two.

Yeah, filming refers to taking a video.

You might also want to take photos of the Piccadilly line trains. They're only 1 year younger than the Bakerloo's, but will be replaced in the next few years.

The Bakerloo trains still have some time left.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I've personally had no problems at any Bakerloo Line station taking photos (though i tend not to stay at stations long). Willesden Junction is an interesting spot with the LO interchange. Stonebridge Park has a depot and you can it clearly from the platform, plus there are NR sidings nearby so you'll usually see some other interesting rail stuff nearby. South Kenton is next to the WCML so you'll be able to see passing trains on that plus the platform has a rather funky Art Deco shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.