• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Films you've seen/film discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
Geostorm - So, I like apocalyptic dramas, I like Gerard Butler, I like gratuitous demolition of American landmarks. I should have loved this.

It was awful. 1.5/5.0

I will now explain at great length why.

So, the basic premise is that in 2019, a number of extreme weather events (floods, hurricanes, etc) caused the world to realise "****, we need to do something about this", so they build a massive network of satellites to control the weather. That this happens in 2019, when the US will still have a president who believes global warming is a Chinese conspiracy, quite literally made me laugh out loud in the cinema.

It didn't get much better.

Gerard Butler designs and builds this network off-screen, and at the start of the film he's giving evidence to a Senate committee who basically decide to make his brother fire him. Three years later, an Afghan village gets flash-frozen, and they realise something is wrong with the system. Someone in space gets blown out an airlock. The bald guy (turns out to be Secretary of State) says they should call Gerard Butler. This is the first sign that he's evil - because this is a reversal, it should be the brother saying call Butler, the SoS saying "we fired him for good reason". So Gerard Butler leaves behind his daughter with his estranged wife and goes to space. He promises the daughter he'll come back, she knows he won't, and that seems reasonable.

Oh, did I mention Butler's an alcoholic now?

Then Hong King explodes with a Smart Car being chased by explosions. Buildings quite literally fall like dominoes.

So, they send the alcoholic to space as the only cargo on a shuttle, and he meets the captain of the ISS and a team of people including a British jerk who is also clearly evil, because we saw him be a jerk to the guy who was blown out the airlock. They try to retrieve the Hong Kong satellite to get its hard drives but it tries to kill them and the hard drives get fried. Butler realises the airlock which exploded has hard drives too, and part of it is still stuck nearby, so they send the two highest value people on the station out to get it, and then Butler's suit tries to kill him but he miraculously just avoids floating off towards the moon but loses the bit of airlock. He and the rest of the station somehow also avoid being punctured by the millions of bits of debris he just created.

I shall interject at this point to say that somehow the entire ISS has earth-normal gravity, despite only small parts of it spinning to generate centrifugal gravtiy. This for some reason includes the docking bay, which is an incredibly stupid place to have gravity all the time.

Gerard Butler saved the hard drive! He hid it as soon as he grabbed the airlock, but he only tells one person because someone tried to kill him. The airlock was fine, so he goes back to the security cameras, and finds guy-blown-out-the-airlock took a download of the Afghanistan satellite and hid it, because there are no cameras in the locker room. There's a virus and they need to whole reboot the system to fix it, but they are locked out.

Meanwhile, Butler's brother is shagging someone from the Secret Service, and he also knows this techie who he uses to deciper an extremely simple code Butler sent him which says "trust no one". The guy from Hong Kong who was driving the Smart Car and works for the ISS somehow is attacked in this massive office building where he's the only person there. He goes to Butler's brother and is promptly run over after being pushed into the road. The Techie finds references to "Project Zeus", but she can't open the files without being on the White House network.

Secret Service agent comes home and finds Techie wandering around in her underwear and Brother makes things worse. He tries to convince her to let them use her access to the White House. In doing so, he uses the phrase "this is bigger than you and me"; which Techie corrects as "you and I". And this shows how this movie likes to think it's being clever but fails, because "you and me" is actually the correct case here. Anyway, Secret Service agrees and decrypts the files. It's about using the satellites as weapons! Now they realise they need to shut down the network, so they decide to steal the keycodes from the president. Brother lies his way on to Air Force One.

Bald guy reappears, and calls Brother on the lie. He says Brother can trust him. Brother explains, Bald Guy says the president himself is the keycode - it's biometric - then slips up and admits he is the villain. Brother escapes and decides to kidnap the president. He and Secret Service succeed.

Meanwhile in space, things are getting worse, satellites are going rogue, and one fries to flash-freeze Rio. It freezes lots of people in bikinis, drops a plane from the sky, but somehow this one person in a bikini is able to outrun it when no one else can, and they successfully launch another satellite to crash into the first one and knock it offline. But then the station's self-destruct activates. Why does it have a self-destruct someone asks, apparently it's in case it was ever falling to earth. Why they can't abort the self-destruct is never explained. It's also never explained why the self-destruct blows up a small bit of station every minute or so getting slowly closer to the control centre, rather than just blowing up the entire thing at once. Anyway, everyone evacuates, except Butler, who stays behind to input the shutdown command.

Brother and Secret Service are in a taxi with the President, being chased by goons through a massive lightning storm. Lightning which strikes everywhere except this massive metal crane, which then just falls over on its own. Very little effort is made to explain to the President what's going on or why they've kidnapped him. Bald Guy is waiting on the edge of town with an RPG, and when he sees the President's car he shoots it, because geolocation says it's them. Except then Secret Service shows up behind him and cold-cocks him. Miraculously at that point all the state police show up, and the earth is about 20mins from destruction, but POTUS lets aldie explain that what he planned was to kill everyone ahead of him in the line of succession and also all America's geopolitical rivals. Also quite a lot of America actually, leaving the Midwest and Texas and that's about it. Why he leaves that bit, heavily Republican when he's allegedly a Democrat, is unexplained.

Daughter is with her mother and points to say "Daddy's in space". She appears to have got about 10 years less able to talk since she left Butler.

POTUS is taken to Cape Canaveral. The director of the Kennedy Space Centre explains how imperative it is that POTUS put in his authorisation, but then spends a minute commiserating with Brother about how Butler's still in space. POTUS has his eye scanned by his personal data slate then leaves. Why he didn't do this half an hour ago is unexplained. Brother realises Butler is still in space and going to die. It for some reason takes a full minute for POTUS's eye test to make it to space, but Butler must now run to plug it into the right terminal on the other side of the station. Why he needed to use the holoroom and couldn't take the call from the server room is unexplained. He's running but then the bit between him and the server room blows up. But then he's in a space suit! How he managed to get in a space suit inside 30 seconds, given you literally cannot put on a spacesuit by yourself, is (say it with me) unexplained. He makes for the server room, but his keycode won't open the airlock. Oh no! But then the station manager turns up again, and shows him he was trying to open a broom cupboard and not the airlock. They make it to the server room, somehow avoiding all the billions of pieces of deadly shrapnel, and they manage to press the reset button with one second to spare.

In Dubai, a guy on a camel is killed in a tsunami, and in Moscow the Kremlin starts to melt.

Butler's still in space, and the station's still exploding, but still everything is working and he transfers control back to NASA. Then he sees a satellite which has miraculously hung around. This satellite has an entry hatch and space for two people inside, and he and Station Manager get in. "We have to get as far away as possible before the station explodes" he says, and one second later the station explodes. But he's still alive! And he uses the satellite's thrusters to signal SOS, which a shuttle, which is miraculously undamaged from all the trillions of pieces of deadly shrapnel, connects with and saves him. They land and the earth is saved. Daddy takes daughter and brother fishing, they all hate it.

In some ways this is a decent movie. There's a good story in there, and I have to say it was kind of fun. But it was just buried under so much cliché, obvious foreshadowing, cosmic coincidence and denial of reality that it was just in the end plain bad. It's like if there's a song you really like by your favourite band. But then One Direction do a cover of it, which is awful, and they also change history so the original song never existed. This is that song.

As a lover of all things Smart I have to ask.....did the Smart car escape?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Patriot Games - Jack Ryan saves the world. This time v Irish Terrorists. Its decent enough. Harrison Ford is good in the lead roll. it has some plot holes and some cliches and some dodgy acting but it is watchable.

World Trade Centre - story about Port Authority policemen during 9/11. Good intentions and some powerful moments but overall a disappointment. Oliver Stone faithfully shows the story of the two trapped policemen and their families but the film seems entirely played for emotion and not for depth or power.

V for Vendetta - Dystiopian comic book cross over. Critics seem to hate it but i thought it was a decent film. I thought the two leads were interesting and while i might not buy their "love" i thought they acted well together. Political points about oppression, totalitarianism, corporate power and anarchy are made (if made less than perfectly) and there is an interesting social commentry. I enjoyed it.

Clear & Present Danger - Jack Ryan saves the world. This time from Drug Cartels/double crossing Whitehouse apparatchiks - See above.

Passenger 57 - Wesley Snipes saves a highjacked plane from a mad man. Silly film but Snipes and the villain (Bruce Payne) makes it worth watching if you are bored.

Coming to America - Eddie Murphy's African prince comes to New York to live as a poor person. It is silly and watchable if not ground breaking comedy. There are a lot of cliches and stereotypes mind!

Black Hawk Down - Non romanticized portrayal of an american military disaster. Very well shot and does not focus on one start but shows the interaction of a number of people and how they got on during the battle. It is graphic and involving and confusing and quite brutal at times. Ridley Scott puts together a very good anti war message hidden in an accurate combat focused film.

Pacific Rim (ming?) - Terrible science fiction monster film. Awful. Terrible. Awful. Terrible. Avoid. Did I say it was awful and terrible?

Titanic - Famous ship hits ice berg, sinks, most die. Especially the plebs. Won a boat load of Oscars. Spectacular visual effects, close attention to detail, accurate recreation of the sinking, well put together and well acted however the Rose/Jack story seems a bit contrived.

Enemy at the Gates - Stalingrad based sniper dual with a silly love story thrown in. That bit doesn't work well and brings down the thriller angle with the German and Russian snipers hunting each other. middling

San Andreas - Silly disaster moving starting the Rock. Great special effects. Not Great acting.

Cars III - A friendly warm animated Pixar film. It is quite sad and emotional in a nostalgic an comforting way. Much better than Cars 2.

Snowden - Joseph Gordon-Levitt is good as the titular lead and there is good support from Tom Wilkinson & Zachary Quinto. It is good but doesn't seem to explore in depth what made a corporate man turn against his country. It is best, oddly, when it is just the three actors in a hotel room talking things out. Maybe Oliver Stone went to safe?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Kingsman Golden Circle - Naff. Austin Powers without the laughs. Misogynistic? The think with Glastonbury is cringe worthy and like a 13 years olds fantasy. Such a shame

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Anyone here seeing Star Wars: The Last Jedi this weekend? Got tickets for Saturday morning..I'm expecting good things - and I'm avoiding all reviews and Kermode & Mayo's podcast until after the fact.

Darandio

Established Member
Central Intelligence - Kid (Dwayne Johnson) with only one friend (Kevin Hart) is bullied in school and returns 20 years later to find that friend, except the friend doesn't really know he was a friend. Johnson is now in the CIA, needs Hart to help crack a big dangerous world ending case.

A fairly funny buddy movie, i've made it sound much more complicated than it is because in reality the plot is fairly non-existent. Had some laughs in places and the twist was fairly predictable. 6/10

TheNewNo2

Anyone here seeing Star Wars: The Last Jedi this weekend? Got tickets for Saturday morning..I'm expecting good things - and I'm avoiding all reviews and Kermode & Mayo's podcast until after the fact.

I watched it today after work. Not impressed. 2.0/5.0 It went on too long - there's at least an hour of filler, and, after the film reaches its climax, there's another half hour with a much more disappointing climax. There are three major stories, which are meant to take place at the same time but make very little sense doing so as one appears to take weeks, another days, a third merely hours. Once again Fasma was thrown up as a minor villain of no consequence, and thankfully she dies so hopefully that's the last we see of her.

Too much time spent on cute animals and not enough actual plot.

fowler9

Established Member
Watched The Town the other night which is kind of a bank heist film. Loved it and made me want to visit Boston!

nlogax

Established Member
Still recovering from the two and a half hours of extreme bladder endurance test that was The Last Jedi. All in all I really enjoyed it. That said, I agree with @TheNewNo2..there appeared to be multiple endings shoehorned into it. Way more loose ends seemingly tied up in this film than you'd expect for part two of a trilogy, and some characters disappear way too soon.

Just to be absolutely certain I didn't miss anything I'll see it again in a few days.

ComUtoR

Established Member
So I just watched Bright. I have no ****ing clue why the critics panned this to be one of the worst films of 2017. It's a chase movie at best. Yeah it could have been better and Netflix certainly ****ed up the writing a little but I think it was 90mil well spent. The concept is pretty decent but the plot is frankly, just ****. As I say it's a chase movie at best. granted the 'themes' are badly written and the subtext is off sucking d*** somewhere but I liked it. I can see why a sequel has been green lit already.

This is not a buddy cop movie or a fish out of water movie or a fantasy movie or anything of ****ing substance. This is a film that could have been the bollocks and from the trailer it looked pretty special.

Two cops. One Human, the other an unbloodded Orc, get called to a scene where the find an Elf with a Magic Wand. Then the **** hits the fan. Cue a chase movie where every mother ****er wants the wand. There are stereotypes abound and the race card is placed on the table as a theme. Elves appear to be complete d***s and Orcs are clearly playing spades but this is not really explored and the viewer is assumed to be in the know.

Add in an evil overlord that doesn't actually appear, the atypical government asshole feds with too much power and a secret agenda and the dirty cops that are dirty for no ****ing reason other than; ooooh look, magic wand. Expect zero character development and zero likability from anyone. Seriously, the script is c**p.

If you like chase movies with little plot but a few semi decently filmed scenes then you may like this. I found nothing wrong with how it was filmed, and the special effects were well played out, if a little to underplayed tbh.

This is a Netflix movie and in all honesty it was a decently produced Hollywood style 'blockbuster' What surprised me is the shocking amount of swearing. **** me it was every other word. It pretty much ruined the film and they could have gone more family orientated. I started watching with my ickle one but switched it off after about five minutes. Not one to watch with the kids, regardless of how it appears from the trailers. I'd give it 3/5 stars, although this review has way more stars than it deserves. <D

Oh and I watched Star Wars : The last Jedi too. Meh 3/5, and If you have seen Return of the Jedi, then you have pretty much seen this movie too. There are so many homages to the previous movies that this film just feels fragmented and not a film in its own right.

Butts

Veteran Member
With regard to Star Wars - The Last Jedi.

Chewbacca is literally head and shoulders above the other performers within this Movie. His dialogue also exceeds anything produced by his fellow thespians.

Best of all his new miniscule side kicks who now seem to be part of his entourage.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
BIG Xmas update needed but 2 for now:

last cinema of 2017: The Greatest Showman. Panned by many critics ( especially Mark Kermode) this musical telling of P T Barnum of circus fame is simply Ok. Colourful, fun but VERY shallow and brainless. Such a waste of a good story and cast.

First cinema of 2018: Molly's Game. Crime drama based on the book of her life ( or some of it!) by Molly Bloom who ran high stakes poker games for celebs & wall street types before the Russian and Italian mafias muscled in and ending in being busted. Directorial debut for Arron Sorkin ( of the West Wing fame) it is really good with a super performance by Jessica Chastain ( an Oscar opportunity?) in the lead backed up by a good turn from Idris Elba. It's very good.

fowler9

Established Member
Watched Dunkirk over the Christmas period and really enjoyed it. I won't give away what happens. Very well made.

Butts

Veteran Member
Watched Dunkirk over the Christmas period and really enjoyed it. I won't give away what happens. Very well made.

Didn't you find it strange that despite the dire predicament faced and the era hardly anyone was smoking ?

Check out cinereels of the era for an authentic depiction where smoking heavily features.

fowler9

Established Member
Didn't you find it strange that despite the dire predicament faced and the era hardly anyone was smoking ?

Check out cinereels of the era for an authentic depiction where smoking heavily features.
Ha ha. True, perhaps not as well made as I thought. I smoke myself and never got on to that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Post - Starring Meryl Streep & Tom Hanks and directed by Steven Spielberg this is a proper old school drama of the sort "they" don't really make these days dealing with the 1971 Washington Post publication of leaked top secret pentagon studies into the point and purpose of the Vietnam war. The growth of the Streep character throughout the film from socialite to hard nosed newspaper publisher ( her husband died leaving her the company she didn't expect to run) and stepping out of the men's shadow is well played and Hanks is, as always, superb as the editor determined to firstly grow the paper but as the film develops to protect the rights of a free press to hold government to account. It is a very good film, well shot, well acted, filmed with an authentic 70's look and I expect it to garner several Oscars.

beeza1

Watched "Darkest Hour" last week, absolutely brilliant, I had reservations about Gary Oldman playing Churchill, especially after seeing Brian Cox last year, but I was pleasantly surprised, Kristen Scot Thomas was also superb.
I came away with the overriding thought of how we need a leader like that now.
I had watched the latest "Star Wars" offering over Christmas, it was OK, but I hope it's the last one, I think it's run it's course.

beeza1

A depressive who drinks too much? I'm your man.
Admitted he had his faults, don't we all, I was suggesting the strong leadership qualities he possessed during what was indeed "Our Darkest Hour" are sadly lacking today.

Butts

Veteran Member
Watched "Darkest Hour" last week, absolutely brilliant, I had reservations about Gary Oldman playing Churchill, especially after seeing Brian Cox last year, but I was pleasantly surprised, Kristen Scot Thomas was also superb.
I had watched the latest "Star Wars" offering over Christmas, it was OK, but I hope it's the last one, I think it's run it's course.

I went to see it today and it was not a bad film. However I think the Brian Cox one last year was better.

beeza 1 did you notice that although The King and Churchill were featured heavily smoking throughout the Film hardly anyone else was.

Think to the scenes in the War Rooms underground there were lot's of ashtrays but virtually no one smoking apart from Churchill.

Think of the scene where he travels on the Tube and the only smoker in the whole carriage (who could not even hold a cigarette properly) offers him a match.

Think of the scenes on the streets and the other venues where hardly anyone else seemed to smoke.

The impression you could come away with is that during that era smoking was the exception rather than the rule :p

Geezertronic

Established Member
What does everyone think about films based on true stories? I'm leaning towards two directed by Clint Eastwood - Sully, and American Sniper. Both obviously have dramatic effect added and exaggeration, but I think both are good films - Sully being the better one

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

I went to see that last week, it was the first time I had been to a cinema for very many years. It was a great film.

fowler9

Established Member
What does everyone think about films based on true stories? I'm leaning towards two directed by Clint Eastwood - Sully, and American Sniper. Both obviously have dramatic effect added and exaggeration, but I think both are good films - Sully being the better one
Not much to add to that. Agreed. Ha ha. I love Sully and have seen multiple documentaries on it and read his book.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I'm going to watch The Commuter in the cinema on Thursday. Has anyone already seen it? I have heard pretty good things so far but it would be nice to hear people's opinions.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm going to watch The Commuter in the cinema on Thursday. Has anyone already seen it? I have heard pretty good things so far but it would be nice to hear people's opinions.
Spoiler alert. Liam Neeson elbows his way on to a train before everyone has got off then has a 90 minute Twitter battle about delay repay because it was held up by a signalling fault near Chatham.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Spoiler alert. Liam Neeson elbows his way on to a train before everyone has got off then has a 90 minute Twitter battle about delay repay because it was held up by a signalling fault near Chatham.
Haha that is hilarious! I won't bother going to see it now as I can watch that for myself in real life :lol:

beeza1

I went to see it today and it was not a bad film. However I think the Brian Cox one last year was better.

beeza 1 did you notice that although The King and Churchill were featured heavily smoking throughout the Film hardly anyone else was.

Think to the scenes in the War Rooms underground there were lot's of ashtrays but virtually no one smoking apart from Churchill.

Think of the scene where he travels on the Tube and the only smoker in the whole carriage (who could not even hold a cigarette properly) offers him a match.

Think of the scenes on the streets and the other venues where hardly anyone else seemed to smoke.

The impre

The impression you could come away with is that during that era smoking was the exception rather than the rule :p
To be honest no, I never picked up on the smoking scenario, but I did when I watched Dunkirk last year, another film worth watching, if you ignore the hype around Harry Styles, I couldn't even tell which was him.

To be honest I didn't pick up on the smoking scenario. I did when I watched Dunkirk though, another film worth watching.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
MEGA NEW YEAR/XMAS UPDATE PART 1!

Grimsby - Puerile. Rubbish.Painful. A pile of rotting fish.

Gold - Matthew McConaughey leads in this picture loosely based on the true story of the 1993 Bre-X mining scandal, when a massive gold deposit was supposedly discovered in the jungles of Indonesia but was in fact a massive con. Stodgy. Dull. Cliched.

Wimbledon - Management section choice. OK. Nice. Harmless. It seems to focus on good things happening to good people

Green Street - Preposterous. Predicable, awful dialogue. Awful cockney accents. Stupid.

High Rise - based on the 1975 dystopian novel High Rise by British writer J. G. Ballard. Tom Hiddleston leads as Dr. Robert Laing. It is a dark, disturbing (and at times humorous) look at oddly current socioeconomic themes. It is a very good film that wasn't popular with the cinema goers but was popular with the critics even if i don't think it is as good as the book. Worth a watch

Hacksaw Ridge - Mel Gibson directed The film focuses on the World War II experiences of Desmond Doss, an American pacifist combat medic who was a Seventh-day Adventist Christian, refusing to carry or use a firearm or weapons of any kind. Doss became the first conscientious objector to be awarded the Medal of Honor, for service above and beyond the call of duty during the Battle of Okinawa. It is violent, harrowing, heartbreaking, graphic & moving with some of the best battle sequences ever filmed. Vince Vaughn & Hugo Weaving are very good.

MASH - satirical, anarchic, subversive, black comedy war film. Great cast, superb direction. Fantastic

On the Beach - 1959 American post-apocalyptic science fiction drama based on Nevil Shute's 1957 novel of the same name starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Anthony Perkins & Fred Astaire. Virtually all life on earth has been exterminated by the radioactive residue of a nuclear holocaust. Only Australia has been spared, but it's only a matter of time before everyone Down Under also succumbs to radiation poisoning. it isnt a modern film being from a different time (and modern critics seem to focus on that rather than the message) but it is still a very good, moving, bleak and thought provoking well acted and well filmed picture.

Freefire - arms dealers and buyers end up in a double crossing shoot out. Poor story, poor crafting. Tires to be Tarantinoesque but fails. Unoriginal. A rare failure from Ben Wheatley.

Flight - Alcoholic pilot saves plane from disaster through fancy flying. Hailed a hero but the truth will out. A thoughtful and provocative character study led by a superb performance by Denzel Washington which is perhaps worth watching for that performance alone even if the film around him isnt quite up to that quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.