• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filton Abbey wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Does Filon Abbey Wood have ticket gates? Planning a photo visit and wondered about access. The National Rail website is out of date; it shows the previous arrangement before quadrupling. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The station is unstaffed, however in the morning and evening peak Great Western have staff located to manually check and sell tickets using portable machines at the entrances to the platforms.

Whilst the bridge across the station (from the car park on Emma-Chris Way to the cycle path next to the MoD) is not technically a right of way, in practice staff will allow customers across the footbridge to the other side if asked.

The exile

Established Member
The station is unstaffed, however in the morning and evening peak Great Western have staff located to manually check and sell tickets using portable machines at the entrances to the platforms.

Whilst the bridge across the station (from the car park on Emma-Chris Way to the cycle path next to the MoD) is not technically a right of way, in practice staff will allow customers across the footbridge to the other side if asked.
Note that this means that a tight connection between platforms is likely to be missed unless you’re one of the first to reach the human barriers. Lots of fares to pay and faff with getting tickets on phones checked!

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

If you are coming up the cycle/pedestrian path from the MOD side, best not to have a camera “open” on view and definitely don’t point it their way! A lot of local people who you will see on that path work for the MOD and they have been told to “ring in” anything they think is suspicious.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks for the further info. It's a station I've never visited and as one of my daughters is at uni in Bristol, I thought I'd have a look round when I pick her up. Yes that footpath near the MOD is my planned route in. Fortunately, I just have a pocket camera; I'm not one of the neck-swinging top-end DSLR brigade... I did once nearly drive into the MOD in error, taking the wrong exit at a roundabout. Soon did a sharpish turn to exit.

Just as an aside, I find many of the maps (and other info) about stations on the National Rail website is now out of date. They don't seem to spend much effort keeping the info current.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks for the further info. It's a station I've never visited and as one of my daughters is at uni in Bristol, I thought I'd have a look round when I pick her up. Yes that footpath near the MOD is my planned route in. Fortunately, I just have a pocket camera; I'm not one of the neck-swinging top-end DSLR brigade... I did once nearly drive into the MOD in error, taking the wrong exit at a roundabout. Soon did a sharpish turn to exit.

Just as an aside, I find many of the maps (and other info) about stations on the National Rail website is now out of date. They don't seem to spend much effort keeping the info current.
Isn't that an issue with the original company used for the maps either going bust or wanting excessive money to make changes to the maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.