• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Final day of the Class 460s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbon 1

Ok, my first try at one of these, here goes! (Also posted here)

So, when my family go to watch their beloved West Bromwich Albion play a London side, I will usually get £30, and a day in London by myself (I can't stand football!). Saturday 15th September 2012 was to be a 'normal' day, with a few hours at Clapham Junction, and maybe a trip behind a Class 90 from Liverpool Street to Stratford, for a wee bit of window hanging. However, about two days before, I found a thread on RailUK Forums (This one) about the diagrams of the Class 460s. After a bit of research, including asking the Southern twitter page(!), I found out that the 15th would indeed be the last ever day of the Class 460s. This changed my plans completely, I would now be doing an 'unloved classes bash'. This would include the 442s and 458s as well as the 460s.

The day had come, we caught the 0959 off Newark North Gate to Kings Cross, with 43308 & 296 as the power. Once at Kings Cross, I brought Zone 1-6 Travelcard, said my goodbyes, and jumped on the Victoria line to Victoria. My plan was to stand around and wait for a 460 to turn up, and buy a ticket to Gatwick. I decided to ask the gate attendant whether he knew, and to my surprise, he did! Although what he told me was that a 460 would work the last two services of the day. Defeated, I went straight to platform 16, where 337445, 131 & 442 on the 1247, took me the short distance to Clapham, where I could take some pictures, and keep an eye out for any 460s, should they come through. This strategy, however, would mean that my whole day would be dedicated to the Class 460s.

After walking to the London end of platform 9/10, I took maybe six pictures, and what should come through? Yep, 460002 on it's way back to Victoria. With my camera shoved into my bag, I headed straight to platform 12, where I would catch the 1213 back to Victoria. To my annoyance, it was delayed by 12 minutes! With 377421 and 544 showing up late, I knew my chances were a bit slim, and i knew there was no chance after waiting for a platform out side Victoria for 7 or 8 minutes, it wasn't going to happen. Once on the concourse, and with the 460 pulling away, I sat and watched the world go by, before deciding to catch 442423 & 128 back to Clapham at 1405.

45 minutes later, I was once again on my way back to Victoria, after she made another appearance. This time all went well with 377414 & 128 showing up on time at 1450. I headed straight to the ticket office with my £25 (no lunch for me then!) and got my return ticket to Gatwick. After a few pictures, I boarded my first and probably last ever 460, and found a seat towards the back of the train.

At 1515 sharp, 02 pulled out of Victoria, and took me onto new track south of Clapham. The journey was pleasant, with me spending most of my time watching the stations pass, and noticing a green 73 in Selhurst Depot (but missing it with my camera!) on board the fresh air express (and it was empty!).

Once we arrived at Gatwick, it was picture taking time, with about 25-30 photos added to my collection. Then the time came for the return at 1605, and as we were meant to be meeting my step-sister for dinner at Covent Garden, it was to be straight their on the tube. But then my dad rang me, saying that we couldn't meet her for dinner. So, I asked if I could go again, and he said yes, but I had to be back at Kings Cross for the 1930 back to Newark.

After 460002 had another photo shoot, it was back to Gatwick on the 1700, and with my spare £5 being put towards a hot chocolate, I waited patiently for Selhurst Depot to come into view, before snapping a few pictures of the green 'ED'. Then it was business as usual at Gatwick, with many pictures being snapped, as i waited for what would be my last ever trip behind these iconic EMUs. After another phone call to my dad, it was agreed that I could stay and film it, but i couldn't 'cut it too close', but I knew this wasn't going to be a problem, with it leaving at 1845.

Once back at Victoria, another photo shoot, and with tripod set up, I perched on the ankle height rail around the walls, waiting for the departure, and at 1845 on the dot, 02 left Victoria on 1D24, which was to be the third to last ever service, with her working into the early hours of the next morning.

Feeling quite sad (my first ever last day of a class!), I set off back to Kings Cross, where 91126 would push us home. And thankfully my parents had got me some sandwiches for the journey back!

Thanks for reading,
Matt

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good write up :) However one thing I must ask: did you buy Southern only returns to Gatwick!? ;)

Aictos

Established Member
Just to be pedant, Class 91s ain't used on the GEML - think you find Class 90s are used on that line ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.