• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finally time to spend the air miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacenotes

Hope you don't mind, But in the end I did use a train but let me tell you how I got there first.

I moved to the uK 7 years ago and started saving my air miles by churning credit cards and tesco. About 2 years ago I realized what I was saving my miles for to take my new wife on Honeymoon. I really wanted to make it special so we started in Dublin at Platinum servies. This is a drive up and we sort out everything for you service.
Untitled by
, on Flickr

We drove up to the barrier and said who we were and we drove into the car park.
fixed jag photo by
, on Flickr
A young chap comes out for our bags. Once inside he took the keys and said he would contact Hertz
to pick it up.

He then showed us to our suite which was Suite 1. He offered us champagne which we couldn’t say
no to.
Untitled by
, on Flickr

He then offered us a tour of the facility. They have 7 suites and the presidential suite. The
presidential suite is mainly used for the government when they fly. They also showed us how the
corridors are set up as the president does not go through security yet his people who travel with him
do.
27754958674_567bc4b43a_k.jpg
[/url]Untitled by A Con, on Flickr by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/JhBqff
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, Really nice champagne glasses
by Galway Crystal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pacenotes

The flight arrived late so they informed us of the delay and that when the flight lands they will tell us
when to get ready. 25 minutes later they said it had landed and to get our bits together, we went to
the loo and then were ready to head to the plane. We had a private security lane. Infact there was
more security officers than us! We were then brought through the airport to our waiting car.
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
A BMW 7 series LB it had loads of leg space!
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr

It was a short drive to the plane which we waited in the car until the plane was ready.
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr

Once the green light was given we were first up the stairs to take our seats. Part of traveling First is
that you travel business. Today was a 65 minute flight, and we had 2 FAs in Club Europe.
Untitled by
A Con, God leg room in row 1 on this
A319.

Afternoon tea was offered with was three sambos and a cake.
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
Warm scones were given out too. It doesn’t sound great but I enjoy the afternoon tea. I enjoy the
clotted cream and strawberry jam.
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr
It wouldn’t be an afternoon tea with out a glass of champagne so we had an other one. ☺
Untitled by
A Con, on Flickr

We must have had someone important on the plane as we flew straight into LHR with no holding!
Once on the ground it was a short taxi to our gate and then a bit of a wait while they made sure they
had the right doors open for passengers arriving from Ireland.

We picked up our bags and got a uber home. Tomorrow we will be flying to Boston

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice indeed. Glad to see that the clotted cream and jam went on in the right order.

pacenotes

Monday morning came around and it was time for our trip to Heathrow. We both couldn’t check in online for some reason and the app said to get to the airport early to sort it out. We left at midday for our 18:20 flight. Arriving to T5 in 45 minutes from home with a big police operation was going on with loads of armed police at the entrance to T5. Good to see.

We used the first check in area.

Untitled by A Con, on Flickr

Turns out that when my wife asked BA to change her name on the ticket they did not reissue the ticket so the check in agent had to ring the customer services and get them to re issue it. It took a long time due to the new system FLY. They couldn’t get it to work for 45 minutes but we got her checked in and off to security we went.

About 5 people in the queue today at south security fast track so through in a flash. Today we used the millionaires door.

The guy in front of us was sent off to go around but she opened the door for us and let us in. A quick check in with the desk and we were through into the lounge. We headed straight to the bar and ordered a glass of champagne each. LGSP is a lovely champagne very crisp and easy to drink.

We went out onto the terrace where my wife rang a few people and I checked up on our flight and some other information.

At 14:00 we went through to the dining area for some lunch. Started with another glass of champagne.

I had the Ham hock and mustard terrine with piccalilli and soft boiled quail egg.

My wife had the soup which was carrot & rhubarb which was different.

For mains I had the BA burger with cheese & Bacon.

Tasted great but looked like it was a cheap Tesco frozen burger. I had a glass of the Clos des Jacobins 2006 Saint Emilion from Bordeaux which was great.

For dessert I had the Chocolate Brownie with mini profiteroles and salted caramel. It was just the right size for lunch.

At 3pm it was time for us to see what the cabanas are like. I asked before trough you first to book us one for 3pm onwards. It’s a nice room quiet away from everyone. We watched some news but nothing like the lounge in Dublin.

At 4pm my wife went off for her treatment of a facial. I took the time to have a quick shower. At 16:30 she was back and I went off to check in with teh spa, I had a few mins until my spa treatment so went into the gold lounge for a look around, The gold lounge is for first class passengers but they use the Concord room so its mostly BA gold card holders in there.

I had booked the back message which was a 10 minute treatment and it felt great. When I got back we had enough of the cabinas so we went back out to the balcony and ordered the espresso martini. It was good and strong just want we needed to make sure we stayed awake for the flight ahead.

Once we got our drinks it came up on the screens that our plane would be leaving from the B gates. We finished up our drinks with 40 minutes to go and went down to the train.

We arrived at the gate to loads of people waiting around. I went off and took some photos of the bird that we would be on for the next 6 hours.

They called all priority at once so it was a bit of a scrum at the gate but we were about the first 20 people on the plane. We were shown to our seat which was 2A & 2K for this flight. Looking it up before hand I knew it was a full F for this trip.

pacenotes

Flight BA215
LHR-BOS
Scheduled departure 18:20
Take off 19:50
Time in the air 6:34
Seat 2A

Couldn't even reach the buddy seat.

PJs were handed out and I had to ask for slippers.

Nice view from your three windows from your seat.

The older TV system on this plane.

View from the loo on the ground.

They offered us a Pre-departure drink of champagne & I asked for some water too. We were delayed a bit and then 4 people didn’t show up so had to wait to get the bags off. More champagne was offered ☺ I was one of the last to be asked what I would like for dinner so I didn’t get my first choice of Sea bass but I was able to ask for the steak as rare as possible. The FA pointed out that its up to how much they have cooked it on the ground so it could have been cooked all the way through before the FA even get their hands on it. The TV system was turned on so we could start watching some films.

Some more champagne before we left the gate and as we were on a plane with the very old TV system it wasn’t playing ball so it was a manual safety brief today. Then TVs were put back and glasses taken for take off. Take off was so smooth. The 747 really is the queen of the sky.

First few drinks on the ground.

A380 taking off just in front of us. We were using the South runway 27 today.

Soon we were in the clouds.

Vanity kit were given out on the ground but I just opened it in the air. Everything you would want. The shave cream is very good when I used it a few days later. Eye mask also worth keeping.

First glass of the Blanc de Blanc champagne.

Once in the air the FAs jumped into action. I started with a glass of the Blanc de blanc which was lovely. Warm nuts also came with the champagne.

Warmed nuts that came with the champagne.

Another top up before dinner.

pacenotes

Menu

page1 by A Con, on Flickr

page2 by A Con, on Flickr

page3 by A Con, on Flickr

page5 by A Con, on Flickr

page4 by A Con, on Flickr

page6 by A Con, on Flickr

page7 by A Con, on Flickr

page8 by A Con, on Flickr

page9 by A Con, on Flickr

Then tables were laid and it was show time.

Starters

Severn and Wye smoked salmon cannelloni with lemon puree, cucumber, verjus and marinated beetroot

Heirloom tomatoes shepherds purse fettle cheese with tomato marshmallow, basil cake and white balsamic pearls

White asparagus soup with shaved asparagus and spring onion salad

Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of honey mustard or Caesar dressing

Main

Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus, smoked beef cheek, pomme mousseline, mushroom ragout and heritage carrots with bordelaise sauce

Pan fried sea bass dressed crab, compressed watermelon, asparagus purée with comfit potato and citrus hollandaise

Beef burger with streaky bacon, monterey jack cheese, barbeque sauce, coleslaw and spicy potato wedges

Orecchiette pasta with pea, mange tout, tomato fricassee with a parmesan crisp and semi dried tomatoes

Seared Thai spiced tuna orange and coriander salad with hot roasted spiced kernels, espelette pepper dressing and a gazpacho shot

Desserts

Chocolate marquise

Hedgerow berry financier

Madagascan vanilla ice cream

Cheese Plate

Worcester White

Tomme de Savoie

Blacksticks Blue Premier Cru

Perl wen

I started with the Severn and Wye smoked salmon cannelloni with lemon puree, cucumber, verjus and marinated beetroot. It was very good. The cream cheese was lovely and the cucumber & Marinated beetroot went perfectly with the salmon. I stuck with the Blanc de Blanc for the starter.

For the main course, it was the steak. Let's see how good they got it. It was perfect! You wouldn’t of got a better piece of beef on the ground! I went with the Chateau Cantemerle 2008 it was perfect with the beef.

Perfectly rare steak! Which is surprising for BA according to the internet.

I asked could I wait a bit for my pudding but I already knew I was having the cheese. I asked for all of it except the blue. As I was one of the last to have pudding they left me the cracker tub and let me dig in. I had a glass of the port to help me finish it off.

At this point, I was stuffed. I was nearly finished my film now as they had to restart the whole system as many were not working including mine so that was 45 minutes of nothing lost.

I asked for a Jonnie walker blue and was given a huge portion. First time trying Blue and it is a great whiskey. I was wondering what a £200 bottle tastes like and now I know I would buy a bottle for the right price.

(Sorry for the inclusion of ice) I only asked for a cube

Onto my second film and I had finished the blue I asked for the Glenlivit 18 year old. Not as good as the blue but still went down a treat. Once my second film was over we were 90 mins out. I didn’t start a 3rd as I knew we would have to put away the screens for landing.

pacenotes

For afternoon tea it was the normal sambos cakes and scones. It wouldn’t be afternoon tea with out a glass of champagne so another glass of the blanc de blanc was had. I also had a cup of earl gray tea which I proceeded to spill all over me!

After the lunch was done with I had a G&T to finish off a great flight.

I put away my bits and got ready for landing. As I had taken a few moments to get up and thank the chef who cooked todays meal and had a bit of a laugh with the crew when I was putting away my bag a member of the crew ran up and handed a bottle of champers and said enjoy the Honeymoon :) Such a nice thing to do to end a fantastic first first in BA.

We came in on RW 22 for a smooth landing and a 10 minute taxi way to our stand. The air bridge was attached to 1L and they held back everyone so F could exit first. Then into Logan with a 75 minute wait to get past immigration. It seemed we came in behind a flight from Hong Kong. Once through our bags were on the belt and we were through customs.

leightonbd

Who needs all that posh food?
IMG_1629.JPG

Seriously ... congratulations on your marriage. I used to do a lot of long haul flying, it is a great experience as long as you are at the front of the aircraft. Great read so far.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations from me too on getting married, I hope it was a top honeymoon!

The food looks too posh for me, but I would have taken advantage of the alcoholic beverages instead! Very jealous of the 747, never had one but would jump at the chance! Great read so far and while the whole experience looks super luxurious I'm not rushing to try it.

pacenotes

Washington

We spent a few days in Boston and then flew down to Washingdon DC. Minaly to go to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. I booked a car through Enterprise as they were two blocks from the hotel. I got up early and got a Dodge Challenger by 09:30.

It took us 30 minutes to drive to the Museum. After a quick check of our bags we were in. We went straight to the tour area as a tour was starting at 10:30.

The first bird we seen was the STR71. A huge sight and an amazing bit of engineering.

Next our tour guide brought us over to the space area. They have the space shuttle Discovery.

Some daft person wanted them to repaint it but sense prevailed and it was shown with all its battle scares.

European space laboratory that would be put in the shuttle and sent up for experiments.

To make sure people could survive 14 days in space like the moon missions they sent this up with two astronauts. When they came back to earth they exited and said that they were now both engaged.

They didn’t know if when you went to the moon if you would come back with something so when you landed you were put in one of these and taken in a cargo plane back to the main land.

First rocket propelled aeroplane.

Some cold war stuff.

The latest fighter jet. This is the prototype of the F35

pacenotes

One of the most important planes in the world.

Some commercial aircraft.

The first Air France Concorde I have seen.

It has to be one of the best tours I have ever done. He knew a lot about each plane and most had a story. The most incredible being the Japanese kamikaze pilot who came to look at a plane and looked up at the Enola Gay and said that he owed his life to that plane.

They have an observation deck 10 floors up. We went up for a quick look. You can see planes landing on the runway for Dulles.

With that it was time to head back to Washington. A great day out that everyone should do.

We got back to Washington in about 30 minutes again and dropped back the car. Then got a Lyft to Union station. We were taking the Amtrak to NYC. After a short wait in the station they opened the train for us to get on.

Loads of leg room.

It was comfy and was quick too. I caught up on this trip report and just had a good look out the window. I went up and got some drinks from the bar and it was a great way to travel between the two city’s.

Before we knew it we were in Penn station.

pacenotes

I forgot to post about a trip on vintage train up in the mountains outside Boston.

We then took the Kancamagus Highway to Jackson.

We were heading over to a little motel for the night as we wanted to do a dinner train ride. Just before we arrived at the motel we had to stop to let some ducks cross.

Our motel for the night was a tiny 4 bedrooms motel. We had seats outside and everything. It was once again a huge room but tiny bathroom! She had free drinks in the fridge for us which was really nice. She was a lovely women who was so happy to have a couple of honneymooners with her.

Just before we had to head down to the train the heavens opened and a huge storm rolled on in. With flashes of lightning and huge claps of thunder we enjoyed sitting on the porch like the locals just watching the storm.

The Lafayette Dinner Train is a old train ride that takes 2 hours to complete and a 5-course dinner is offered.

I started with a cocktail a MGM martini.

We headed off over the river just outside the station.

Some bread was offered.

Untitled by A Con, on Flickr Untitled by A Con, on Flickr

For starter I went with the pork belly.

Then a pine nuts and blue cheese salad.

A lime sorbet to cleanse the pallet.

For main I had the wild bore chop. It was very good.

My wife had the beef.

For desert I went for the Lemon mouse cake.

The red wine was good too a Maldec from Argentina. As we were up in the doam we had to share with an other couple. Turns out they were traveling to Ireland in a couple of months so I was able to tell them what to do and where to go. They were good fun but were tee total so only so much you could talk about.

pacenotes

After we stopped we were able to have a look around.

We decided to walk back to the motel stopping in a sports bar for a few drinks. Boy do they like to make the spirits drinks big, We had Amarettos on the rocks. They should of called it a glass of booze. We had a quick game of pool before heading back to the Motel.

pacenotes

As part of our wedding instead of asking for a gift list we asked for activity’s to do while on Honeymoon. One of the first things to be got for us was a Helicopter tour of NYC. We had booked online and all we could get was 2pm on a Thursday for that week!

We walked down past the flat iron building.

IMG_4902 by A Con, on Flickr

Then we used our NYC pass to get us a big bus tour ticket and hopped on one of the buses that headed to lower Manhattan. We got down there in no time.

IMG_4923 by A Con, on Flickr

I took this photo and then every photographers nightmare happened. A full memory card! I had filled a 32gb card! But thankfully I was able to delete enough before the flight.

IMG_4928 by A Con, on Flickr

I’m guessing not many have done a tour of NYC by helicopter so I will tell you the basics. You arrive outside they make you fill out a form including your weight in pounds. Then they bring you inside to the desk to make sure you have paid and then you are brought to seats and once they know they have a helicopter for you, you then wait in a line with the people who you are going along with. You watch a safety video and get given a life jacket to wear on a belt.

Then a guy works out on a computer who should go in which helicopter and you get moved around a lot. He also works out where you will sit in the helicopter due to weight. The lighter you are the more likely you will sit up front with more rugby like players in the back.

IMG_4935 by A Con, on Flickr

View from the waiting area.

IMG_4936 by A Con, on Flickr

Our ride for today. They walk you out and will take a photo that they try to flog to you but I didn’t even have to ask and they took a photo for us with my camera.

IMG_4941 by A Con, on Flickr

They then get you into the aircraft and the pilot will introduce themselves. You can just listen but you also get to listen to radio chatter too.

Our pilot for today.

We took off and went low past Governors Island. Then around Liberty.

A bit higher now over Governors Island.

IMG_4993 by A Con, on Flickr

Our Pilot then asked air traffic control to enter NYC over the river and he was allowed to enter.

IMG_5005 by A Con, on Flickr

IMG_5020 by A Con, on Flickr

Got to see another Concorde

IMG_5033 by A Con, on Flickr

Midtown

IMG_5048 by A Con, on Flickr

Central park.

IMG_5053 by A Con, on Flickr

Then we turned back.

IMG_5062 by A Con, on Flickr

A great day for it.

IMG_5076 by A Con, on Flickr

That building is as tall as the new WTC but the WTC has the mast on top to make it taller.

IMG_5078 by A Con, on Flickr

IMG_5106 by A Con, on Flickr

pacenotes

It doesn’t really come up but the pilot informed us that most of the new WTC is empty. You can see right through it with about the first 30 floors taken and the roof space used.

IMG_5139 by A Con, on Flickr

IMG_5152 by A Con, on Flickr

As seen on the best movie ever the dark knight.

IMG_5176 by A Con, on Flickr

Then the pilot asked to land which he had a bit of fun as he had a last second change.

Then we came in sideways due to the wind.

Then it was all over you sit waiting for a heliport employee to come out and get you. Then you jump out and walk back into the terminal.

IMG_5208 by A Con, on Flickr

IMG_5217 by A Con, on Flickr

Just wow what a great trip. If you visit NYC you have to do this. If it is all you can do skip everything else and just do this!

With smiles on our faces we walked up to pier 7 and got the ferry across to Brooklyn.

pacenotes

After a few days in NYC we headed back to our normal boring days :(

We got dropped to the kerb and went inside. Looks like a tiny terminal but we only seen probably a tiny bit of it as it's all so compact for F passengers.

First check in had a small queue with mainly gold card holders. Why I know they were gold is that they don’t get brought to the front of the security queue.

Once our bags were tagged our passports were taken and the check in agent walks you the front of the queue at security and hands your boarding pass and passport over and is checked by the TSA agent. Bit awkward but you're through in seconds so you don’t have daggers for too long.

Security was quick as the TSA lady on the door was very slow so was straight through with no one in front of us. (The queue outside security was quite long with about 20 people in it)

Once past security the Concorde room is up the ramp and to the left.

concorde room by A Con, on Flickr

We sat down and ordered some champagne. A bit of a humid day.

Some random photos of the area.

After a while we went and had some food. They have a dining area with an order as you want menu.

Untitled by A Con, on

Flickr

Some bread rolls but tasted as if they were just out of a microwave!

I had the scallops.

My wife had the soup.

We both had the steak for main.

Cheese for pud.

With a glass of port for me.

And a coffee for the wife.

pacenotes

Then I sat back down while my wife went off and spent the rest of the dollars.

Then we had an amazing sunset over NYC. The sky line looks fake it's so perfect. The detail cant come out on a camera but if you get a nice day you will have a perfect view from the concorde room.

Time for us to leave the lounge as they had started boarding.

No one in the priority lane (As they didn’t announce it yet in the lounge!) So we got straight on.

Champers handed out straight away.

New IFE which was turned on straight away. I started to watch Eddie the eagle which was an easy film to watch. Bit funny too.

Started to get dark before we pushed back.

The remote for IFE (It is also touch screen)

Seat controls

Blind controls & USB charger port.

Our projected route home.

The spirits list was the same as the outbound flight. Champagne was the same.

Menu for dinner.

Breakfast.

The crew handed out some hot rags. With how humid it was it would have been better if they were cold!

We pushed back on time and made it out the runway in record time and were away turning left over the bay very quickly and I seen nothing of NYC.

Nuts and Champagne was handed out.

pacenotes

I opted for dinner as soon as possible. As did everyone else. I think it was the crews hope we wouldn’t order anything but about 5 of us ate. A few went straight to sleep and a couple of us couldn’t sleep.

For starter I had the prawns which were very tasty.

For main I had the salmon ravioli and it was so bland and dry it was horrible.

A Jonnie Walker blue for my bed time drink.

We were flying very fast tonight we had hitched a ride on the end of a storm.

With that the crew quickly made up my bed and I slept for 90 minutes. Not perfect sleep but I only really sleep in my bed at home perfectly. I woke up with 90 to go so asked for a cup of tea.

For some reason I wanted to try the Philly steak. I wish I didn’t bother.

I only had a bite before I sent it back.

With only a couple of loops of London we landed 90 minutes early!

The bird that brought us to Boston.

As we had a big star in with us in first (the male actor from 50 shades of gray) the cabin crew really made sure we were first off the plane today blocking everyone from view. You could tell we had a couple of fans in the cabin crew today.

Bye bye 747.

We followed the special services who was bringing the vip through the airport yet he got on the same carriage as us on the train over to the main terminal and was left at the passport queue to fend for himself. (At least all E gates were open and we were through in a couple of minutes) He was actually very nice ( We had a baby in F and when the cabin crew were giving excuses he was saying he has two kids and knows how they feel.) I think the crew were the ones who made more of a fuss.

We then went to the arrivals lounge. We were asked at the door if we were eating as we could use the concorde room but we said no. I then went and asked if a shower was free and was given a room where as my wife for the novelty and asked for a bath.

The shower pods are just a plastic pod with a shower a toilet and a sink. There is a towel and a ground towel in there for you all ready. Excuse the rubbish photos but its tiny.

After that we ordered a cab and met them at departures and was home in 30 minutes.

Perfect trip where we paid £500 for the flight! Would I pay £10 grand for a seat in a plane hell no. But for us air mile collectors its perfect.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You must have had a LOT of AirMiles to get those flights for that price!

The food looks way too posh for my taste, but the drinks would be fine lol. I've seen that Concorde on Intrepid up close (sadly it was closed for the inside tour) and it looks amazing. The helicopter tour sounds amazing fun and I have made a mental note to do one if I do return to New York in 2018 as is the plan.

Many thanks for sharing the photos and the report, I'm not rushing to try First Class but the 747s I am very jealous of!

Status
Not open for further replies.