• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Find BRB (Residuary) Ltd. property

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambro

As some on the forum will be aware, British Rail still lives on to some degree. BRB (Residuary) Ltd. is responsible for the structures associated with closed lines and disposing of property which is no longer required for rail purposes.

You might be interested in a little tool I've thrown together to search by postcode for nearby BRB (Residuary) Ltd. property.

You'll find it on my website at http://www.adambrookes.co.uk/brbr/property.

Any comments/problems/suggestions etc then please let me know.

Note that the locations given are approximate because they are only available as six figure grid references which aren't brilliantly precise. Therefore the relevant structure will be nearby the marker, not necessarily directly under it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
As some on the forum will be aware, British Rail still lives on to some degree. BRB (Residuary) Ltd. is responsible for the structures associated with closed lines and disposing of property which is no longer required for rail purposes.

You might be interested in a little tool I've thrown together to search by postcode for nearby BRB (Residuary) Ltd. property.

You'll find it on my website at http://www.adambrookes.co.uk/brbr/property.

Any comments/problems/suggestions etc then please let me know.

Note that the locations given are approximate because they are only available as six figure grid references which aren't brilliantly precise. Therefore the relevant structure will be nearby the marker, not necessarily directly under it.

Cheers for that, will have look shortly, :)

At Church Stretton station the driveway down to the Shrewsbury-bound platform has a BRB sign. Not sure exactly what they own (if they still do) as it would be a bit odd them owning the car park and driveway on that side of the station, as it's in full use by station users/ATW. Then again, there is another station access and car parking area on the other side of the platforms, so it could be that BRB do indeed own the Shrewsbury-bound side. Could this be looked into?

adambro

At Church Stretton station the driveway down to the Shrewsbury-bound platform has a BRB sign. Not sure exactly what they own (if they still do) as it would be a bit odd them owning the car park and driveway on that side of the station, as it's in full use by station users/ATW. Then again, there is another station access and car parking area on the other side of the platforms, so it could be that BRB do indeed own the Shrewsbury-bound side. Could this be looked into?

My data doesn't suggest any BRBR property near there. Many signs that mention BRB/British Rail Board will just be left over from the BR days.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very good idea, I'll have a bit more of a look around later, but it doesn't recognise my postcode and reverts to HD1 3DH when I put it in.

adambro

Very good idea, I'll have a bit more of a look around later, but it doesn't recognise my postcode and reverts to HD1 3DH when I put it in.

What's your postcode if you don't mind me asking and I'll investigate? If you'd rather you can send it via PM. Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Thanks again for highlighting this. It should now be fixed.

dave12435

I cant get the postcode search to work
im unsure why though as im using the usual structure

adambro

I cant get the postcode search to work
im unsure why though as im using the usual structure

If you send me your postcode via PM I'll look into it. Cheers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In addition to searching by postcode, you can now search by structure reference, for example INL/88, just start typing in the second input box and a list will appear. Click on the relevant structure and it along with others nearby will be shown on the map.

WatcherZero

Established Member
The thing ive been thinking about with BRB for the last year or so is that theyve almost finished selling everything that they can actually sell and their left with all the bridges, roads and viaducts that require annual upkeep but without any revenue as they arent in service. Im curious how close the money is to running out and it will have to be passed back to someone who can afford to maintain it, or the government will have to step in and start paying to maintain its holdings.

Last edited:

adambro

according to the website, BRB still owns all structures along the Old Dalby test track

Yes, it is my understanding from reading BRBR's Annual Report that the own the test track.

The thing ive been thinking about with BRB for the last year or so is that theyve almost finished selling everything that they can actually sell and their left with all the bridges, roads and viaducts that require annual upkeep but without any revenue as they arent in service. Im curious how close the money is to running out and it will have to be passed back to someone who can afford to maintain it, or the government will have to step in and start paying to maintain its holdings.

BRB(R) is owned by the Government, by the Department for Transport. It activities are funded from income it earns from its property activities (selling property, renting out office space etc) and a subsidy from the DfT if necessary.

It costs BRBR approximately £8m a year to maintain the bridges, tunnels, viaducts etc. that they are responsible for.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Take a browse of their site:
http://www.brbr.co.uk/property/property_listings/index_html?county=h&page=2

See how much you can find they aint already sold. According to their reports they made a 20m loss in 2008 and a 20m profit in 2009.

Their 2009 annual report lists their assets as:

270 parcels of unused land value £55m in 2009 (£97.3m in 2008 )
1.4m sq foot of office space (lost 5.8m in 2008 and 4.8m in 2009, they have 20.3m of future losses attached due to occupants not paying market rates)
4000 structures which require upkeep, costing £8m a year
The company has a net balance of -£168m
During 2008 the company sold 145 properities for £40m and renegotiated down 120m of liabilities from its below upkeep office rentals.

See what I mean about not having much left?

By my estimates they run out of money in about 3-4 years and the government will have to absorb the debts and yearly outgoings.

Last edited:

adambro

See what I mean about not having much left?

By my estimates they run out of money in about 3-4 years and the government will have to absorb the debts and yearly outgoings.

BRBR isn't going to run out of money. They get cash from the DfT as necessary. In the last year, they received £60m from the DfT. The Government are already subsidising the company's activities.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Any chance of allowing a search by place name too? It's great for looking around your own area, but not so good for looking at other places if you don't know the postcode.

Surprising thing around here is that they still own a load of structures on the old Charnwood Forest Railway to the west of Shepshed.

adambro

Any chance of allowing a search by place name too? It's great for looking around your own area, but not so good for looking at other places if you don't know the postcode.

Sure, I'll put it on the to do list.

Status
Not open for further replies.