• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Find my nearest Pacer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristofferson

Specifically, a Leyland-based Class 142!

Evening all. After reviewing my "stock to try out" list, I realised there was one glaring omission - the Pacer!

Having been told all about them by the bus spotter-in-law, I'd like to give one a go and share my experience with those who are also lucky(?) enough to have never set foot on one.

To simplify things, my nearest station is Watford Junction. Would you gentlemen be good enough to point me in the direction of my closest Class 142 please? :)

Cheers,
Kris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member

Evening all. After reviewing my "stock to try out" list, I realised there was one glaring omission - the Pacer!

Having been told all about them by the bus spotter-in-law, I'd like to give one a go and share my experience with those who are also lucky(?) enough to have never set foot on one.

To simplify things, my nearest station is Watford Junction. Would you gentlemen be good enough to point me in the direction of my closest Class 142 please? :)

Cheers,
Kris

Either Northern Land or Cardiff area.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member

Cheers,
Kris

You've asked the right man, my good friend...

At the moment, Manchester Picc, Carlisle, Middlesbrough, Doncaster and Sheffield are good places for 142 action. If there is a unit you would like to try out especially, I have contacts at Northern that might be able to help

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Cheers,
Kris

Stockport would be the easiest station from Watford. A ticket there then a Greater Manchester Wayfarer should help fulfill your wildest Pacer fantasy!

crehld

Established Member
Stockport would be the easiest station from Watford. A ticket there then a Greater Manchester Wayfarer should help fulfill your wildest Pacer fantasy!

A greater Manchester rail ranger instead of a wayfarer would achieve the same objective and save you a bit of cash (although is subject to evening peak restrictions).

Kite159

Veteran Member
I vote for a trip to Cardiff to sample some of ATW's delightful 142s, plus you get valley scenery to look at ;)

Kristofferson

Kite: I do holiday in Cardiff regularly, but no way is the missus letting me go Pacer bashing on one of them!

Boaty McRoyal: I'm up for that. I've only met Tech and Hassan so far (hasn't everyone??) :)

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Kite: I do holiday in Cardiff regularly, but no way is the missus letting me go Pacer bashing on one of them!

Boaty McRoyal: I'm up for that. I've only met Tech and Hassan so far (hasn't everyone??) :)

Tell her you have to set a pace..............r on a running track

Not met Lord Techie yet - keep missing each other

Cambus731

If you want a scenic run on a Pacer, then I recommend going to Preston and riding on one to Colne. Do bear in mind that Class 150s also work on that route so you may have to wait a little while for a Pacer

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As DarloRich suggests, book yourself a cheap pair of Advances to Manchester Piccadilly. Use a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger to take you to Pacer havens such as Rose Hill Marple, but also ensure you take in some Starship action to Hadfield!

Not everyone's met me yet Kristofferson! HMS Ark Royal, I certainly intend to bump into you when I eventually make it up to the North East again!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
As DarloRich suggests, book yourself a cheap pair of Advances to Manchester Piccadilly. Use a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger to take you to Pacer havens such as Rose Hill Marple, but also ensure you take in some Starship action to Hadfield!

Not everyone's met me yet Kristofferson! HMS Ark Royal, I certainly intend to bump into you when I eventually make it up to the North East again!

Missing you by a day or so, Techniquest...

hassaanhc

Established Member
Last month I went on three Pacer services in succession, although I had a £10 Northern Day Ranger so was able to go over a wider area:

0956 Manchester Victoria to Rose Grove 1048 (142034 with bench seats)
1055 Rose Grove to Colne 1114 (142001 with bench seats, 142047 locked out on rear)
1121 Colne to Preston 1231 (142047 with Merseytravel refurb, 142001 locked out on rear for part of journey)

Track quality on those routes is generally good, but there are sections with jointed rail. Personally I thought the ride quality was equal to or better than a LUL 72ts/73ts :o (think I should get my coat now :lol:). I am also short enough to have had enough legroom in the seats; the Merseytravel interior ones are notorious for poor legroom, and the seats themselves aren't liked either (although I had no problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.