• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finding out how late a train was

Status
Not open for further replies.

north

I caught the sleeper up to Edinburgh on Friday night and the train arrived about an hour late. Unfortunately I forgot to check exactly what time we arrived into Waverly. Is there any way to check how late a train was as obviously this makes a big difference to my compensation claim?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, members of the public cannot check. Write in to the TOC saying you were not sure how late the train was and would like them to check for you and give compensation as appropriate to the delay.

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes what's Mojo suggested is best, but enclose your ticket or proof of purchase otherwise they'll just write back saying they can't compensate you without proof.

But if you look at Scotrail's passenger charter it looks like a delay of at least 30 minutes gets you travel vouchers with the weather, vandalism etc. exceptions. They also say they will reply within seven working days or give you an extra £5 in vouchers.

north

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

But if you look at Scotrail's passenger charter it looks like a delay of at least 30 minutes gets you travel vouchers with the weather, vandalism etc. exceptions. They also say they will reply within seven working days or give you an extra £5 in vouchers.

They give 50% in travel vouchers for a delay of over 30 minutes and 100% for a delay of over an hour. Hence why I am interested in whether the train was actually over an hour late.

I do quite like to know all the facts when I write about these things - I have had TOCs in the past lie (or at least they receive incorrect information) about how long a delay was until pressed. It is my fault for not checking and if they is no way to find out I will happily entrust myself to First Scotrail customer services.

I am aware that this compensation is generous and above their legal obligations.

pemma

Veteran Member
With some lines there are less reporting points than stations meaning that they'll check how late a train was at the nearest reporting point to where you alighted and if the train made up five minutes between where you alighted and it's next reporting point then they could say the train was 57 minutes late, when you say it's 62 minutes late.

The legal requirement is 20% of a single ticket for a one hour delay or 10% of a return ticket for a one hour delay. Most TOCs are a lot more generous than this, until recently Merseyrail paid out at the minimum despite most stations having at least one train every 15 minutes, which made them look a bit mean compared to other TOCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.