• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finsbury Park-East Croydon or East Croydon-Finsbury Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewiper

With the new public Thameslink services through the new tunnel starting tomorrow, can anyone tell me when I can catch one of the trains at Finsbury Park to travel to East Croydon, or to travel from East Croydon to Finsbury Park, please?

I tried looking at the Realtime Trains website but I have never used it before and couldn't figure it out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With the new public Thameslink services through the new tunnel starting tomorrow, can anyone tell me when I can catch one of the trains at Finsbury Park to travel to East Croydon, or to travel from East Croydon to Finsbury Park, please?

I tried looking at the Realtime Trains website but I have never used it before and couldn't figure it out.

FPK->ECR
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...18/02/26/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

ECR->FPK
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...18/02/26/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can't be certain on this pre 1933, but I believe FP to EC (or anywhere in Croydon) is a journey never previously possible by public transport without a change. You could do Croydon to the Nag's Head in Holloway, about a mile from FP, on a Sunday for a while by 133 bus, and it's a journey I once made, getting on for fifty years ago. Somebody will probably now prove me wrong!

The pre 1939 43 had a Sunday service to Croydon Airport which will also have passed the Nag’s Head.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The pre 1939 43 had a Sunday service to Croydon Airport which will also have passed the Nag’s Head.
Yes, you're right, but that service didn't touch Croydon proper: it went via Purley Way from Thornton Heath pond. However, prior to that, there was a Sunday 43 which went through central Croydon (North End) to the Swan and Sugar Loaf pub in South Croydon, which was a precursor to that Sunday 133: somebody at London Transport knew their history when creating that one. Still not quite Finsbury Park though!

pdeaves

Established Member
Realtime is showing them as class 365s. I know those were once dual voltage but AFAIK none has worked on third rail for a long time. Will the services actually be TL 700s, or have some 365s' shoes been reinstated?

Realtime is showing them as timed as class 365s. The service will be 700s.

LA50041

Established Member
Realtime is showing them as class 365s. I know those were once dual voltage but AFAIK none has worked on third rail for a long time. Will the services actually be TL 700s, or have some 365s' shoes been reinstated?

and the northbound ones are showing as a 319 timing load, that is all it is though a timing load. RTT does not show booked traction

Wirewiper

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I had wondered if the services might not start today due to the threat of weather disruption, but Realtime Trains has shown them all running to time so I will be heading out to Finsbury Park for the 14.29!

Kieran1990

I assume GTR a running this as some sort of preview service/ for driving route knowledge purposes across the core and canal tunnels?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Some Thameslink people were handing out cupcakes on the Brighton to Cambridge service as it traversed the Canal Tunnel.

Wirewiper

Yes, I got the 14.29 from Finsbury Park (although it ran late due to a fault on a preceding service and departed at 14.42) and a cupcake :p

DelW

Established Member
Realtime is showing them as timed as class 365s. The service will be 700s.
and the northbound ones are showing as a 319 timing load, that is all it is though a timing load. RTT does not show booked traction
Thanks for the confirmations, I thought they'd be 700s, but since I work near Redhill station, I'd have tried for a photo if there'd been any chance of a 365 appearing there ;). I hadn't noticed that northbound showed 319s, but then they were common in Redhill until quite recently anyway.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Veteran Member
See post #2 (you need to reset the date).
Strangely enough, it runs both ways :)
It runs via LBG and is SX.
It is popular (?) northbound with passengers who don't listen to announcements.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
See post #2 (you need to reset the date).
Strangely enough, it runs both ways :)
It runs via LBG and is SX.
It is popular (?) northbound with passengers who don't listen to announcements.

Thank you for that, I guessed it was both ways, but I had not used that tool/link before, got it now. I shall invest in an all zone travel card and try it out.

PeterY

Established Member
I did this today. 10.59 from Finsbury Park to East Croydon and 12.19 back.
It did seem a painfully slow journey with no cupcakes:frown::frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.