• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finsbury Park to Harrow-on-the-Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Oh yes it is actually - and quite a bit cheaper too (£25.30 for a SVR rather than £28.50). There are also fares from Reading to Zone U3 routed Ealing Common/West Acton but they are the same price as the Zone U23 fares.

However the fares database shows Notting Hill Gate as being in Zone 1, and it doesn't have the facility for a station to be in two zones. So you would definitely need an external source of data to be able to work out properly which was the best ticket.

Are dual-zoned stations a later add-on to the original concept of London zones? It would seem strange that the fares database can't cope with them, unless the system wasn't like that originally and the schema simply wasn't updated later when dual-zoned stations were introduced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are dual-zoned stations a later add-on to the original concept of London zones? It would seem strange that the fares database can't cope with them, unless the system wasn't like that originally and the schema simply wasn't updated later when dual-zoned stations were introduced.

They have been around for ages, certainly since before London's NR fares went zonal in preparation for Oyster. NR has some dual zoned stations as well, like Lewisham, Greenwich, Vauxhall, Elephant and Castle, Willesden Junction, Putney, etc etc.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You could also get from Reading to Notting Hill Gate by changing at Ealing Broadway to the central line and using a ticket to Zone U123 routed "Ealing Common/West Acton".

The existence of these routed tickets is baffling to me. As the Underground doesn't fall under the scope of the Routeing Guide, it seems strange that Underground stations are used as a routeing in such a way. Can a Reading-U123 Route:Ealing Common/West Acton be used into Waterloo and then District Line to Ealing Broadway - if not why not?

As an aside, the number of available LU zonal fares is obviously fairly confusing even to staff not so far afield as Leeds - I've been sold a Reading-U1256 CDR routed Ealing Common/West Acton as the closest the guard could find to the Travelcard I requested! I used it without too much worry, thinking that the worst that could happen would be an excess (as it was U1256, I wouldn't be invalid anywhere on my trip with LU).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can a Reading-U123 Route:Ealing Common/West Acton be used into Waterloo and then District Line to Ealing Broadway - if not why not?

I guess that technically you could, but no-one in their right mind would do so, on both time and cost grounds.

Statto

Established Member
Can a Reading-U123 Route:Ealing Common/West Acton be used into Waterloo and then District Line to Ealing Broadway - if not why not?

District Line doesn't serve Waterloo, so you'd have to get the Bakerloo or Northern Line to Embankment or Jubilee Line to Westminster & change there.

I wonder if you can use that ticket via SWT to Richmond & change there for the District Line?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The existence of these routed tickets is baffling to me. As the Underground doesn't fall under the scope of the Routeing Guide, it seems strange that Underground stations are used as a routeing in such a way. Can a Reading-U123 Route:Ealing Common/West Acton be used into Waterloo and then District Line to Ealing Broadway - if not why not?
Having thought about this, I wonder if the intention is to prevent customers travelling into a London Terminal. I discovered a ticket last night, Birmingham to U1245 route Northolt (Und) which I can only assume is intended to have customers to alight at South Ruislip and get the Central line.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Having thought about this, I wonder if the intention is to prevent customers travelling into a London Terminal. I discovered a ticket last night, Birmingham to U1245 route Northolt (Und) which I can only assume is intended to have customers to alight at South Ruislip and get the Central line.

I think that's the intention, but it seems bizarre given that including U1 means the passenger can get to a London Terminal of their choice, but only by Tube. It might make more sense where different TOCs operate local and IC services, but that's not the case from Reading. Also, the CDR from Reading is more expensive than a Travelcard!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think that's the intention, but it seems bizarre given that including U1 means the passenger can get to a London Terminal of their choice, but only by Tube.
I'm confused by this, I always thought tickets to Uxxxx were valid for travel for one single journey per coupon for travel on the zones mentioned, which would surely not prevent a customer from travelling into London on Virgin, and then getting Tube to South Ruislip or Ruislip Gardens on the Central line? It's a bit of an odd one given once on the Tube, provided the ticket has the correct Zones listed I am sure the staff wouldn't mind which way you travel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Of interest is that WebTIS does not allow travel via either High Wycombe or Milton Keynes on this ticket, it assumes that U1245 is Ealing Broadway and in consequence I can only get it to allow via Reading.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Yes indeed. The £71.90 SOR represents quite a saving on the £149 that Virgin charge for an SOR to Euston. Do these fares date back to Network SouthEast days when they were introducing integrated ticketing with London Underground? Back then I'm sure a guard could complain that it was unreasonable to use the route Northolt ticket on a fast train into Euston, but does the routeing guide even say anything about these zonal tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.