• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finsbury Park to Leatherhead (rtn broken at Mitcham Jn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave W

Hello - hoping the ticket scholars can help!

I want to go from Finsbury Park to Leatherhead on 18th September. I also want to return the same day, but I'd like to break my journey to see some friends at Mitcham Junction.

Also of interest is the £3.10 for two bus journeys I'll make to get to/from FP, if a TfL cap is in the mix. Time is largely irrelevant although I must be at Leatherhead before 1430. I'd happily "split" by getting off a train, touching out, using a ticket to re-enter, and so forth.

The vague plan is this:

OUT
(c. 1255) LU Finsbury Park-Vauxhall 1320
1328 Vauxhall-Leatherhead 1406

RTN
1717 Leatherhead-Sutton 1731
1746 Sutton-Mitcham Jn
2155 Mitcham Jn-St Pancras 2233
2246 St Pancras-Finsbury Park 2252

Questions:

1. Assuming I can break my journey (I think I can on a super off peak return?), is this a valid way to return?
2. National Rail's website advises a Super Off Peak Day Return for this journey would cost £11, but when redirected to buy a ticket from a retailer, it changes to an Off Peak Day Return for £13.20 - can I get the £11 fare somewhere?
3. And, most importantly, whether £11 or £13.20... Can anyone beat that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The SWR site will sell it at £11.50 - provided you avoid the restricted times (which you are AFAIK). Presumably so would the TVM "upstairs" at FPK.

Oyster (capped) plus Boundary Zone 6 - Leatherhead (£3.90) is £2 more expensive even allowing for the buses.

freddie1729

Oyster (capped) plus Boundary Zone 6 - Leatherhead (£3.90) is £2 more expensive even allowing for the buses.

Oyster capping is not compatible with Boundary Zone tickets. You'd end up with an unfinished journey.

Dave W

The SWR site will sell it at £11.50 - provided you avoid the restricted times (which you are AFAIK). Presumably so would the TVM "upstairs" at FPK.

This is most useful, thanks.

Oyster capping is not compatible with Boundary Zone tickets. You'd end up with an unfinished journey.

Sure, I’d thought of that - aside from risking the chance of not being able to “complete” the fare online later, I would have tapped out, gone to get a drink then used the ticket to touch back in.

... IF it had been significantly cheaper. Which it ain’t.

Thanks very much, both!

sonic2009

Established Member
I'm not sure how this would work with Oyster and bus routes that are operated by TFL outside of the boundary zones, but have you considered using the 465 between Surbiton & Leatherhead, this may save some money?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sure, I’d thought of that - aside from risking the chance of not being able to “complete” the fare online later, I would have tapped out, gone to get a drink then used the ticket to touch back in.
A boundary zone ticket is not valid with a PAYG Oyster card, capped or not. It is only valid with a travelcard.

I'm not sure how this would work with Oyster and bus routes that are operated by TFL outside of the boundary zones, but have you considered using the 465 between Surbiton & Leatherhead, this may save some money?
Good point. As far as I know the 465 accepts Oyster throughout.

Dave W

Thanks Mike - consider me taught.

The bus is suddenly an attractive proposition, and something I’ve done before pre-Dartford’s entering the fold.

I shall review my options! Many thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.