• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fiona Onasanya: Recall petition successful & Labour hold seat after By-Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Established Member
It is said that you can tell when a politician is lying by their opening their mouth to speak...

Just saying...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46602635
Fiona Onasanya: Peterborough MP guilty in speeding case
An MP has been found guilty of perverting the course of justice by lying to police about who was behind the wheel of a speeding car.

Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya denied she was driving her car when it was caught doing 41mph in a 30mph zone in Thorney, Cambridgeshire, in July 2017.

The 35-year-old Labour MP was convicted in an Old Bailey retrial.

Her brother Festus Onasanya, 33, previously pleaded guilty to the same charge and two similar counts.

During her retrial, after a previous jury failed to reach a verdict, the court was told the MP's Nissan Micra car was caught near Peterborough just after 22:00 BST on 24 July last year.

She received a Notice of Intended Prosecution that required her to state whether she was driving the car at the time or to identify who was, and it was returned naming a Russian man called Aleks Antipow as the driver.

A fake address and telephone number were also provided, which the prosecution said would make Mr Antipow "untraceable to the police" and the "true driver" would escape prosecution.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Are MPs still allowed to represent their areas when they've been convicted regardless of the crime while a elected MP or does the rules say they have to stand down and a by-election is forced?

Equally would this mean her being thrown out of the Labour Party for her actions?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Are MPs still allowed to represent their areas when they've been convicted regardless of the crime while a elected MP or does the rules say they have to stand down and a by-election is forced?

Equally would this mean her being thrown out of the Labour Party for her actions?

A by-election can be called if more than 10% of registered voters within the constituency concerned sign a petition of recall if an MP is found guilty of wrongdoing.

Aictos

Established Member
Opportunity for May to gain an MP?

Quite possible now for some stats from Wikipedia:

Feb. 1974 Sir Harmar Nicholls Conservative
Oct. 1974 Michael Ward Labour
1979 Sir Brian Mawhinney Conservative
1997 Helen Clark Labour
2005 Stewart Jackson Conservative
2017 Fiona Onasanya Labour

Do you see the pattern here? So yes I would say the next MP will be Conservative without a doubt but it depends on May and her actions as it could swing either way but by going from past results I say it's a safe bet that IF Labour do retain the seat then the 2026 election will certainly turn blue.

As to the MP in question, Wikipedia states she was suspended by Labour on 19th December 2018 following her conviction in court for Perverting the Course of Justice with relation to speeding fines so I hope that means that as she was suspended she shouldn't represent Peterborough while she's suspended.

Ken H

On Moderation

1997 Helen Clark Labour

Do you see the pattern here? So yes I would say the next MP will be Conservative without a doubt but it depends on May and her actions as it could swing either way but by going from past results I say it's a safe bet that IF Labour do retain the seat then the 2026 election will certainly turn blue.

As to the MP in question, Wikipedia states she was suspended by Labour on 19th December 2018 following her conviction in court for Perverting the Course of Justice with relation to speeding fines so I hope that means that as she was suspended she shouldn't represent Peterborough while she's suspended.

suspended by the labour party. Still an independent MP

The honourable thing for her to do now is to resign her seat. Having someone with no regard for our laws in our legislature cant be right. If not, I am sure the tories can find the 10% necessary to cause a recall any subsequent by-election.

The fact that she is a solicitor who thinks perverting the course of justice leaves me speechless. But I think the Law Society will strike her off after this.

Aictos

Established Member
suspended by the labour party. Still an independent MP

The honourable thing for her to do now is to resign her seat. Having someone with no regard for our laws in our legislature cant be right. If not, I am sure the tories can find the 10% necessary to cause a recall any subsequent by-election.

The fact that she is a solicitor who thinks perverting the course of justice leaves me speechless. But I think the Law Society will strike her off after this.

Indeed she SHOULD resign her seat as every action has consequences as we all know however as she lied in court and did her best to frame a innocent man along with her brother, I doubt that she do the honourable thing and resign as MP unless she's forced out.

bramling

Veteran Member
Indeed she SHOULD resign her seat as every action has consequences as we all know however as she lied in court and did her best to frame a innocent man along with her brother, I doubt that she do the honourable thing and resign as MP unless she's forced out.

Surprised she hasn't resigned already, given she's now apparently been convicted. It will be impracticable for her to represent Peterborough if she goes inside, which seems likely.

Not a wonderful day for our democracy. An MP convicted of perverting the course of justice, a dismal performance from Theresa May at PMQs, and farcical scenes in the House over the Corbyn sexism row.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Chris Huhne (eventually) pleaded guilty, so avoiding a trial, and got a custodial sentence. Two other politicians found guilty of perverting the course of justice received substantially longer sentences i.e. Lord Archer and Jonathan Aitken. So that's two Conservatives, one Lib Dem and, now, one Labour. Huhne only lost the vote for the Lib Dem leadership by a tiny percentage to Nick Clegg, so, if he'd not acted so stupidly (if you're still allowed to call a politician stupid :lol:) he might have become Deputy Prime Minister.

chorleyjeff

The conviction has to be a custodial sentence for a time I have foregotten. And she may well appeal to gain some time and continue to get pay and allowances.

Ken H

On Moderation
Surprised she hasn't resigned already, given she's now apparently been convicted. It will be impracticable for her to represent Peterborough if she goes inside, which seems likely.
if she gets a suspended, will/can the speaker start a petition for her removal as an MP?
The recall of MP's act 2015 section 1 subsection 3 says
the MP has, after becoming an MP, been convicted in the United Kingdom of an offence and sentenced or ordered to be imprisoned or detained

I'd think not as she wouldn't been ordered to be imprisoned.

I think she will go to prison. Huhne and Pryce went to jail and they pleaded guilty. They got 8 months so i would expect double that as you get a 50% reduction for a guilty plea.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
if she gets a suspended, will/can the speaker start a petition for her removal as an MP?

I think she will go to prison. Huhne and Pryce went to jail and they pleaded guilty. They got 8 months so i would expect double that as you get a 50% reduction for a guilty plea.

Please try some research:

Sentaced for 12 months or more - dismissed and by election called asap

Sentaced for less than 12 months even if suspended: recall potion issued. If 10% of constituents vote to recall = by election

Busaholic

Veteran Member

The maximum reduction for a guilty plea is currently one third: it can be between nothing and a third.

Aictos

Established Member
But she didn't plea guilty and when you face charges in any court, the sooner you plea guilty the more reduction that can be applied to your case.

Bear in mind that they do count any time that you spend in custody awaiting trial so if we use a example below:

Person A was held in custody awaiting trial for a period of 3 months, they then go to trial and get sentenced to 24 months in prison now taking into account the period of custody and the fact that they would serve 12 months in prison that is now further reduced to 9 months in prison although they would still be on conditional release for a further 12 months once they get released from prison.

I hope that helps?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

1997 Helen Clark Labour

Do you see the pattern here?

Do you mean the pattern that appears to show because you've cunningly left out all the election results in Peterborough where the party didn't change, and only listed the ones where the winning party changed? ;)

Aictos

Established Member
Do you mean the pattern that appears to show because you've cunningly left out all the election results in Peterborough where the party didn't change, and only listed the ones where the winning party changed? ;)

1974 to 1979 - Labour
1979 to 1997 - Conservative
1997 - 2005 - Labour
2005 - 2017 - Conservative
2017 - Present - Labour

So either way there is a pattern emerging either you can accept it or not ;)

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
It is said that you can tell when a politician is lying by their opening their mouth to speak...

Just saying...

Fiona Onasanya's actions are utterly appalling, and I imagine all of us hope they they meet with a proportionate sentence. But can you clarify why you've chosen to tarnish all politicians (most of whom are actually pretty decent people who are doing their best to serve their communities to the best of their beliefs and abilities, in a rather thankless occupation) with the same brush?

You may have noticed that Fiona Onasanya is also (a) a woman, and (b) black. But I bet you wouldn't be using her conviction to tarnish all women, or all black people, with the same brush - because, quite obviously, her actions reflect on her, and her alone.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
1974 to 1979 - Labour
1979 to 1997 - Conservative
1997 - 2005 - Labour
2005 - 2017 - Conservative
2017 - Present - Labour

So either way there is a pattern emerging either you can accept it or not ;)

Yes, the pattern is that Peterborough has for a long time been a somewhat marginal seat, and prone to change hands (although doubtless boundary changes and demographic changes over the years have had a hand in that as well).

The conclusion (based on last year's election result, not on the 1974 results!) is that, given her very small majority, and in the absence of any significant national swing to either Labour or the Conservatives since the last general election, the seat could probably go either way in a by-election, and it could be rather foolish at the present time to predict the outcome with any confidence.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, the pattern is that Peterborough has for a long time been a somewhat marginal seat, and prone to change hands (although doubtless boundary changes and demographic changes over the years have had a hand in that as well).

The conclusion (based on last year's election result, not on the 1974 results!) is that, given her very small majority, and in the absence of any significant national swing to either Labour or the Conservatives since the last general election, the seat could probably go either way in a by-election, and it could be rather foolish at the present time to predict the outcome with any confidence.
I remember a TINY majority in a General Election at Peterborough - I'm pretty sure it was 4, in the Conservative's favour, and I've never known a closer result in the sixty odd years I've been following these things.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember a TINY majority in a General Election at Peterborough - I'm pretty sure it was 4, in the Conservative's favour, and I've never known a closer result in the sixty odd years I've been following these things.
The only other time I remember a similarly close vote was when Lib Dem Mark Oaten won Winchester by either 4 or 6 votes in 1997.
It didn’t all work out very well for him a few years later either...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The only other time I remember a similarly close vote was when Lib Dem Mark Oaten won Winchester by either 4 or 6 votes in 1997.
It didn’t all work out very well for him a few years later either...
I'd forgotten that one. Lembit Opik backing him for the Lib Dem leadership was probably his kiss of death!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd forgotten that one. Lembit Opik backing him for the Lib Dem leadership was probably his kiss of death!
That and the News of the World running a story about (the married with two children) Oaten hiring male prostitutes for three in a bed romps... :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But she didn't plea guilty and when you face charges in any court, the sooner you plea guilty the more reduction that can be applied to your case.

Bear in mind that they do count any time that you spend in custody awaiting trial so if we use a example below:

Person A was held in custody awaiting trial for a period of 3 months, they then go to trial and get sentenced to 24 months in prison now taking into account the period of custody and the fact that they would serve 12 months in prison that is now further reduced to 9 months in prison although they would still be on conditional release for a further 12 months once they get released from prison.

I hope that helps?
I'm not saying it's never happened, but I can't imagine an MP being remanded in custody for almost anything. A terrorist charge or, possibly, murder, but nothing else.

PR1Berske

Established Member
A by-election is expected in the constituency of Peterborough following the conviction of Labour MP Fiona Onasanya (see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46602635 )

The result at the 2017 general election was as below :

Fiona ONASANYA (Labour) 22,950 (48.1 +12.5)
Stewart JACKSON (Conservative) 22,343 (46.8 +7.1)
Beki SELLICK (Liberal Democrat) 1,597 (3.3 -0.4)
Fiona RADIC (Green) 848 (1.8 - )

The by-election is not guaranteed, as Fiona Onasanya can appeal, and she does not necessarily lose her seat automatically. However given the circumstances of the case and potential sentence, it is likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.