• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FIP Coupons Italy & DB-ÖBB in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Now I know that FS FIP coupons are not valid on high speed trains in Italy but what is the script with the EuroCity trains run by DB-ÖBB - specifically EC 188 ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Where does EC188 run from and to ?

Generally, a train, run in one country by another country takes the policies of the country it is running in.

So a DB train running in Italy has the rules of Italy. If you get free DB coupons but not Italian then you would have to pay.

IC & EC trains in Italy normally have compulsory reservations. You travel free but a few Euros for the reservation.

Trains from Austria to Italy via the Brenner pass require a supplement of about £15 - even if you have coupons for the entire journey

Alfie1014

EC188 is a Bologna - Munchen service. These were originally operated jointly by DB/OBB/FS. However a few years back FS withdrew from most cross border services and the services were then operated for OBB for a time by FNM in Italy but without FS ticket availability. OBB now have the ability to operate them in Italy under their own safety case etc.. but FS tickets as I understand it are still not valid and special 'global' fares apply and as such these trains between Brennero and Italian stations are outside normal FIP inter availability.

EAD

Where does EC188 run from and to ?

Generally, a train, run in one country by another country takes the policies of the country it is running in.

So a DB train running in Italy has the rules of Italy. If you get free DB coupons but not Italian then you would have to pay.

IC & EC trains in Italy normally have compulsory reservations. You travel free but a few Euros for the reservation.

Trains from Austria to Italy via the Brenner pass require a supplement of about £15 - even if you have coupons for the entire journey

Just a point that may impact this (but I am not a FIP user). The Brenner ECs are run by DB/OBB (hence the marketing) with LeNORD/Trenord as opposed to FS in Italy. As such the original cooperation with FS ended and so it was run as essentially an open access train in Italy. There were many reasons it ended - FS wanted out, DB/OBB were unhappy with the service they were providing etc. Originally as a result FS played a few tricks on its operation and did not sell tickets.

Of course things are complex now as LeNord is merged into Trenord, which is a JV with you guessed it FS! FS do sell tickets now on the EC, but I am not sure whether they are an operator as technically it is Trenord and not FS. It may be worth asking DB/OBB as they offer extensions to Germany only tickets into Italy so that implies it is still not an FS service (which makes sense as OBB provides traction and rolling stock and Trenord operates it in Italy for them, with DB providing personnel etc.

Travelled on this route a year ago last week !

We travelled from Verona to Innsbruck using both FS and OBB coupons.

The journey was free but I'm sure there was a supplement of about £15pp

Just had a look at my tickets for this journey.

The trip cost 4.5 Euros per person with a 7 Euro supplement. This was for a journey from Verona to Innsbruck

Status
Not open for further replies.