• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FIP coupons on ICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

Is there a supplement to pay on ICE trains even if I hold free coupons? The rail delivery group site suggests it's not necessary but I'm sure I've paid some kind of supplement in the past. Maybe this was for reservations? I'm intending to travel from Utrecht to Düsseldorf but I'm struggling to work out what I have to pay for (if anything!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEscapist_

I used a lot of ICE trains with FIP last year and didn't have to pay anything extra. I used the Frankfurt - Amsterdam ICE to Düsseldorf and had no bother with it either! Enjoy your travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member
Confirm that, providing you've got your Dutch and German coupons you're good to go.

There is a list of ICE trains where FIP coupons are not valid on the RDG website. While it looks a lot most are only certain days over parts of routes, so you would be unlucky to pick one of those. The one to watch is the Hamburg Copenhagen via Puttgarten service.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
No, supplements that might have existed for ICE services no longer do.

My understanding is FIP supplements are needed on Thalys, NightJet, TGV and probably a few other high speed services.

ge-gn

Thanks for that people. I found up some old travel documents yesterday in which I had paid for reservations in the past when travelling with my family to ensure we sat together. But no supplements. Appreciate your help.

ge-gn

Confirm that, providing you've got your Dutch and German coupons you're good to go.

There is a list of ICE trains where FIP coupons are not valid on the RDG website. While it looks a lot most are only certain days over parts of routes, so you would be unlucky to pick one of those. The one to watch is the Hamburg Copenhagen via Puttgarten service.

Yes I saw that list of restricted trains. Is that restricted as in you can't travel on that particular service?

D1009

Established Member
No, supplements that might have existed for ICE services no longer do.

My understanding is FIP supplements are needed on Thalys, NightJet, TGV and probably a few other high speed services.
In the latter cases you quote, FIP free coupons are not valid, but you can buy a reduced rate ticket with your FIP card, similar to Eurostar.

Status
Not open for further replies.