• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FIP coupons what are they and are they worth it for this trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all,

Am planning a trip to Marseille in late April and am looking at best way of getting there and back by train. I'm thinking Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Marseille. There are 2 of us going for 5 days and only I have FIP. We are likely to want to explore some lines in the area during our stay.

Am I best off using FIP card for a discount or my coupons? If so how do they work and how do I get them?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ge-gn

You will be able to get a good discount on the Eurostar to Paris.

I would advice you to get your coupon for the internal journey. This way all you will need to pay is a notional reservation supplement.

International Rail will sort the tickets and reservations out for you free of charge, or someone like Rail Canterbury are good, although they'll charge you around 10%.

Get your coupons by filling in a form via the link in the above post. Read the whole site, it's got loads of advice.

Biggest tip though, get straight on it, because Priv seats are limited on each Eurostar service.

Oh, you should get your RER in Paris free also, but make sure you specify!

ge-gn

You will be able to get a good discount on the Eurostar to Paris.

I would advice you to get your coupon for the internal journey. This way all you will need to pay is a notional reservation supplement.

International Rail will sort the tickets and reservations out for you free of charge, or someone like Rail Canterbury are good, although they'll charge you around 10%.

Get your coupons by filling in a form via the link in the above post. Read the whole site, it's got loads of advice.

Biggest tip though, get straight on it, because Priv seats are limited on each Eurostar service.

Oh, you should get your RER in Paris free also, but make sure you specify!

PS, The above booking agents will also sort out the other travellers public tickets and reservations to make sure you are sitting together.

I have travelled from Marseille to Lille direct by TGV before therefore avoiding having to cross Paris, but I'm not sure that is still an option. Someone else will know, or use www.bahn.de for their journey planner.

Veteran Member
i have travelled from Marseille to Lille direct by TGV before therefore avoiding having to cross Paris, but I'm not sure that is still an option. Someone else will know, or use www.bahn.de for their journey planner.
4 services daily with London connections possible. Not necessarily cheaper.

Established Member
Thanks everyone, speaking to colleagues as well and it looks like coupons are my best choice for this trip.

If anyone has any suggestions on places/areas to visit on our trip I would love to hear them!

Simple question... will the coupon be valid for as many trips as I can make within different countries until it runs out? Or is there a limit for journeys to be made within the validity time of it?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Simple question... will the coupon be valid for as many trips as I can make within different countries until it runs out? Or is there a limit for journeys to be made within the validity time of it?

No there is no limit on the number of journeys you can make within the validity period of the dated FIP coupon box.

No there is no limit on the number of journeys you can make within the validity period of the dated FIP coupon box.
sorry mate just found this on rail delivery group website

How do the coupons work?
When your coupon tickets arrive, they will show your title, full name and the expiry date. Each coupon contains four numbered boxes, which when dated are valid for up to 48 hours (that day and up to midnight of the following day) of free travel on the train services of the administration concerned. You must enter the date of travel in the next box (in the format dd/mm/yy) prior to boarding the train.
In the event of on-train staff being apparently unaware of this rule, the multilingual guide on the reverse of the cover letter with your coupon tickets may be of help.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
sorry mate just found this on rail delivery group website

How do the coupons work?
When your coupon tickets arrive, they will show your title, full name and the expiry date. Each coupon contains four numbered boxes, which when dated are valid for up to 48 hours (that day and up to midnight of the following day) of free travel on the train services of the administration concerned. You must enter the date of travel in the next box (in the format dd/mm/yy) prior to boarding the train.
In the event of on-train staff being apparently unaware of this rule, the multilingual guide on the reverse of the cover letter with your coupon tickets may be of help.

The key point being that within the 48 hours (my highlighting) you can travel on as many of that administrations services as you like.

387star

On Moderation
Do you need to make a reservation with coupons heard many European services require reservations

Surely Amsterdam airport into Amsterdam is a free journey.

Established Member
Do you need to make a reservation with coupons heard many European services require reservations

Surely Amsterdam airport into Amsterdam is a free journey.
If the train is reservation compulsory you will need a reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.