• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fire at Vauxhall station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
that simply isn't true. Whilst those sort of jobs cant be done quite as easily as many of you suggest with proper planning they can ( and are) be done.

However it is important to note, which many posters seem unable to do, that we don't live in 1957. The available windows for works, the pool of man power, HSEA regulations, the commercial challenges associated with the privatised system and the much more intensively used railway are very different than in the past.

Of course I understand it's a very different world now, but my experience is, first hand, that the things I mentioned simply aren't being done. Maybe they are elsewhere in the country but not on routes I frequent around London. To take one example to which I referred - the train indicator on the platform at Redhill has not worked for more than five months, and numerous track possessions have passed without anything being done on its replacement. I have been specifically told that a possession is needed for this urgent work (their words not mine) and that manpower is available when a possession is (obviously planned well ahead), but it remains untouched. No co-ordination, no impetus to progress, no action...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
The CIS system keeps crashing when linked to Darwin, so it probably would have made things worse today!
Thanks for that. That's interesting. Didn't know that. Would it be possible to revert back to the previous system whilst they resolve it.

I don't know if the interim solution is taking up more staff time as I don't know how it all works.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Taunton

Established Member
the much more intensively used railway.
I know there are more passengers but it hasn't translated to more trains. Just more standing.

With all those light engines, empty stock trains, mail, newspapers, parcels, boat trains, military specials, freight (there was a bulk milk depot at Vauxhall), etc all gone from Waterloo, this section was actually busier back 50 years ago, especially overnight when work was done then.

infobleep

Veteran Member
that simply isn't true. Whilst those sort of jobs cant be done quite as easily as many of you suggest with proper planning they can ( and are) be done.

However it is important to note, which many posters seem unable to do, that we don't live in 1957. The available windows for works, the pool of man power, HSEA regulations, the commercial challenges associated with the privatised system and the much more intensively used railway are very different than in the past.
H&S aside for one moment. Is the railway more intensively used than in 1957?

TEW

Established Member
Thanks for that. That's interesting. Didn't know that. Would it be possible to revert back to the previous system whilst they resolve it.

I don't know if the interim solution is taking up more staff time as I don't know how it all works.

They do revert back to the previous system every time attempts to connect it to Darwin fail.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
H&S aside for one moment. Is the railway more intensively used than in 1957?

Depends how you measure it. But in passenger miles per single track mile, vehicle miles per single track mile and train miles per single track mile, it is far, far more intensively used.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Depends how you measure it. But in passenger miles per single track mile, vehicle miles per single track mile and train miles per single track mile, it is far, far more intensively used.
So does that mean more trains on the tracks in a 24 hour period out of Waterloo than in 1957?

Status
Not open for further replies.