• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fire between Doncaster and Wakefield (15/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class195

How bad is the fire at Doncaster? I'm currently on the last Northbound HST and we've been told to expect lengthy delays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tractor37

Don’t know delay length but the fire is near Elland Road, Leeds not Doncaster.

CHAPS2034

NRE reporting at 2132 that all lines are now open but there may be some residual delays.

Class195

Think of all that extra time spent on an HST at no extra cost.:D

Not sure who the conductor was on the last ever LNER HST into Leeds but from Wakefield, it was all opera music over the pa system.

I thought that was a really nice touch.

Class195

Just waiting to go in the cab and have a look around.

Attachments

• CAF894BB-4FE2-40FB-93E1-095F0833A649.jpeg
    CAF894BB-4FE2-40FB-93E1-095F0833A649.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 208

Stampy

Lucky...

I was 3rd in the queue for that at King's Cross - when a jobsworth stopped it and locked the (rear on departure) cab shut and "shooed" everybody away....

Class195

Lucky...

I was 3rd in the queue for that at King's Cross - when a jobsworth stopped it and locked the (rear on departure) cab shut and "shooed" everybody away....

Sorry to hear that, I guess we got lucky at Leeds with the LNER staff.

GoneSouth

If you are on an HST ,then it can be diverted around this problem.
Are any of the Azumas bi modes so could also have made the diversion?

I believe GWR’s variants are all Bi more, but that could be put down to necessity given the half arsed job at electrification of the GWR mainline I suppose!

robbeech

Established Member
Are any of the Azumas bi modes so could also have made the diversion?

I believe GWR’s variants are all Bi more, but that could be put down to necessity given the half arsed job at electrification of the GWR mainline I suppose!

They have some bi-mode ones and some all electric ones. The electric ones have a single engine that allows train power for lighting/heating etc and will allow the train to move in an emergency at a very low speed. It's designed for short distance moves where overhead power is off due to faults or to move the train out of the way / to a safer place to evacuate. It's unlikely that a diversion route would be considered with this method unless it was absolutely necessary.

GoneSouth

Thanks for the info. I suppose that’s an improvement on what they’re replacing as I suspect in an emergency the old electrics would have needed a shunt from a separate loco like they used to do when they went to Harrogate or the very early days they ran to Bradford FS.

Shame they aren’t bi modes though, look at what GWR will be able do with theirs when all the electrification work is finished, eg run on diesel via Gloucester and Chepstow to bypass the tunnel if there’s engineering work.

Status
Not open for further replies.