• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fire on board Hull Trains 1A93 10 May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisdmadd

1A93 stopped at or near welwyn north with reports of a fire on board. Does anybody know the extent of this 'fire on board'? ECML diverting via hertford loop it seems.

I hope all on board are OK anyway. Couldn't have stopped in a worse place.... right between a tunnel and a viaduct!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nat67

Established Member
Have they got any more or is that the entire fleet killed now?

*the 'fuel tank' debacle was HT and not GC, wasn't it?
I'm not sure if GWR gave any to Hull trains or not, but the fuel tank was an object in the 4 foot I believe. I dont really follow 180's but ask (TT OR N)'s brother.

Last edited:

chrisdmadd

Ive just heard its a fuel line that caught fire, fire extinguished but not moving for some time (ETA for TRI 15:15)

chrisdmadd

Does anyone know how the box regulates the hertford loop in accordance with the following local instruction?

"LN120 - WOOD GREEN NORTH JN. TO LANGLEY JN VIA HERTFORD Entire Line Of Route No more than 18 electric trains per line may be operated over the Hertford Loop in any one hour period."

Im guessing they just have a counter for them and then constantly keep an eye on the clock? Must be a pain to monitor.

BestWestern

Established Member
Does anyone know how the box regulates the hertford loop in accordance with the following local instruction?

"LN120 - WOOD GREEN NORTH JN. TO LANGLEY JN VIA HERTFORD Entire Line Of Route No more than 18 electric trains per line may be operated over the Hertford Loop in any one hour period."

Im guessing they just have a counter for them and then constantly keep an eye on the clock? Must be a pain to monitor.

Regulated by way of the booked service pattern presumably?

*if that's a thick comment you'll have to let me off, I'm not local see :D

chrisdmadd

Booked trains is easy, but now when they are diverting the rest of the VTECs through there your talking an extra 2-3 booked electrics an hour also with things running so late you will obviously get a boat load through at once.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
1A93 stopped at or near welwyn north with reports of a fire on board. Does anybody know the extent of this 'fire on board'? ECML diverting via hertford loop it seems.

another one? If only there was a 125 mph capable diesel train available instead of these unreliable units...............

Well, it was in the fourfoot I guess!

it wasn't entirely in the 4 ft. Part of it was stuck in the fuel tank ;)

Andrewh32

Seen a tweet from one of the passengers on the Hull train saying the engine exploded under her carriage

BestWestern

Established Member
It wasn't entirely in the 4 ft. Part of it was stuck in the fuel tank ;)

A fair point! In mitigation we should perhaps mention that as the engine parts were collected from the floor they were found to have benefited from being very well lubricated indeed by the diesel from the rest of the train :D

malc-c

Just got back from Welwyn North as it's quite local. It was the rear unit that had caught fire. An eyewitness said he saw flames leap across the track and around ten feet in the air as it came through the second tunnel, which also caused a north bound train to stop just short of the platform. By the time I got there all passengers had been transported by coaches and just the police, fire brigade and railway officials were at the station. The underside of the rear unit was still smoking, being watched by a fire crew. There was evidence of heat as the paint / decals on the side of the unit had blistered. A line block was placed and the unit inspected, and shortly after they powered up the front two units and it made its own way to the sidings at Welwyn Garden City so that the line can be re-opened. Sand was placed on the rails as oil / fluid was everywhere, and the station is currently closed to stopping traffic.

I'm in the process of editing the video, and will put a link / image once it's complete

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A quick look through that twitter discussion shows how much a cheapskate the newspaper industry has become.

Normal working to be restored soon by the sound of it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Just passed Welwyn Garden City on 9S36 ("The Sussex Fenman").

The offending 180 was sat in the Up Yard, Fire Brigade busy inspecting the equipment underneath the rear coach.

Crossover

Established Member
A quick look through that twitter discussion shows how much a cheapskate the newspaper industry has become.

Normal working to be restored soon by the sound of it.

Not sure why you expect much better - one of our local RAGs has journos littering various local "private" Facebook groups - stories and discussions from there appear quite regularly in the paper

It was 180110 today.

Same unit has blown up again?!

Status
Not open for further replies.