• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Firefighter looking to change career

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan smith

Hi there apologies if this has been posted before.

I am currently a firefighter and emergency response driver with 20 years experience based just out side of Glasgow, basically i am looking for advice on the application form for trainee drivers and the subsequent selection process should i get past the first hurdle.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated .

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Hi mate

I was in the police for 15 years so I fully appreciate your background as our roles often crossed over.

I can't speak for the fire service but there are a lot of ex-police officers now working in the rail industry.

I don't know what part of the country you are from but I live in the North West. I applied to Northern a short while ago and dipped two applications which failed the initial paper sift. I kind of took it for granted that my police career would sell me but sadly not. A few of the forum members on here were kind enough to give me some tips and advice about where I possibly went wrong. Unfortunately, Northern don't provide feedback if you fail the paper sift so I'm only guessing about where I went wrong.

The main advice I would give is as follows:-

A very strong CV and cover letter is vital. Northern ask for details of references, but the mistake I made was not providing their details. Most potential employers request two references so make sure you provide their details as soon as possible. I don't think you need the actual references themselves as I believe the potential employer should contact your referees at the final stage.

Make sure your application is word perfect. If there are any questions on the application make sure you put in as much detail as possible. If for example a question allows you 250 words then please use as many words as you can to reach the maximum 250. A few short sentences are not likely to cut the mustard. I find with any application that you should spend a bit of time on them and give yourself a few days to work on them and come back to re-read things and double check what you've typed before you submit the application.

From what I've established the applications for most jobs in the rail industry are quite high. For example, one post for a trainee train driver can attract hundreds of applications and even apprenticeship roles are very sought after so you've got to be prepared to give 110% to really do your best and sell yourself. On that note, I'm sure you'll get a few knock backs for railway jobs before you get any success so don't let it get you down. Keep trying and plug away at it.

I hope what I've shared here will be of some help. All the best.

C J

Joliver

I am currently a firefighter and emergency response driver with 20 years experience, basically i am looking for advice on the application form and the subsequent selection process should i get past the first hurdle.

Hi,
I was in the Fire service for roughly the same period as you. I left this year in Jan to start as a trainee train driver. There are so many ex public services on the railway from what I've seen in my short time on it. Our jobs give a good foundation for meeting the criteria that the railways require such as working well under pressure, working to strict rules and procedures etc etc. When you fill in your application make sure you meet the criteria areas that they stipulate in your answers. Have a good solid CV too. Be prepared for knock backs along the way. I had a few but got there in the end.
If/when you get through to the assessment centres just practice the material they send you, that should set you up fine for the actual tests themselves. Deal with these stages first then start to work on your interviews if/when you get there etc.

Hope this helps a little.

RSrimbo

It may be worth also looking at Guard positions. I left the police force with 10 years in and within a year was earning more as a guard than what I was earning in the police.

I had no experience at all on the railway but emergency service experience appears to be sort after.

A guards role is a great route onto driver.

Less that 3 years on the railway and I have got a start date for a trainee driver course. Throughout that lengthy application process, I used examples from both my policing background, but also from my time in a safety critical role as a guard.

Stigy

Established Member

I am currently a firefighter and emergency response driver with 20 years experience based just out side of Glasgow, basically i am looking for advice on the application form for trainee drivers and the subsequent selection process should i get past the first hurdle.

Hi Alan,

As has been said, your career as a Firefighter gives you a good basis to be success given your experiences. Just check your CV is up to scratch and tailor it to the job you’re applying for if need be. You will have some really good transferable skills to make use of, but don’t take this for granted and don’t be disheartened if it doesn’t happen for you first time (or second or third time to be honest) as its such a competitive job to get in to.

You have to be patient and keep trying.

The One

I do believe the railway like to recruit people like police and fire service as they have experience in dealing with situations day in and day out

Fireless

Considering your current job, you have the "Safety before punctuality before economy" mindset, you can work in a safety critical environment according to the rules and procedures under stress and you should at least be reasonably fit.
If you can sell that reasonably well during the application process, you should have quite a solid foundation.

Indy3995

Im an Ex Firefighter of 13 years about to start as a trainee driver in a couple of weeks.
As has already been said by a few folk, its the experience of safety critical working and the following of strict procedures that will stand you in good stead. You will be able to use lots of great examples when it comes to meeting the competencies at the MMI & DMI. Best of luck

Ladder23

Established Member
I heard the dreaded news yesterday I was unsuccessful again at becoming a whole time firefighter, third time for me now I have failed at the interview stage. I am interested as to why I am seeing firefighters looking to change careers, I have seen and heard this a lot recently? Is it becoming a unstable job?

I currently work for S&T and earn considerable more money, but it’s not the job I dream of! As much as I say I’ll never stop trying, I think nearly 10 years on its now time to wash my hands.

Daveb1664

I heard the dreaded news yesterday I was unsuccessful again at becoming a whole time firefighter, third time for me now I have failed at the interview stage. I am interested as to why I am seeing firefighters looking to change careers, I have seen and heard this a lot recently? Is it becoming a unstable job?

I currently work for S&T and earn considerable more money, but it’s not the job I dream of! As much as I say I’ll never stop trying, I think nearly 10 years on its now time to wash my hands.
Which brigade are you trying to get in?

Daveb1664

Have you had feedback? Have you looked at the PQAs, The plan, key performance indicators, prevention work, does that brigade deliver falls response health agenda or co response, equality and diversity massive in the brigade.

Ladder23

Established Member
Have you had feedback? Have you looked at the PQAs, The plan, key performance indicators, prevention work, does that brigade deliver falls response health agenda or co response, equality and diversity massive in the brigade.

No feedback, they’re unable to provide. I’ve studied all this and more, I’m all too familiar with most of it, honestly I felt like I cracked it this time round. Maybe the face don’t fit. Diversity is a huge thing, I live in a very multi cultural county, I strongly believe they’re trying to change the typical image of a fire fighter, women and those from ethnic minoritys are more desirable from what I have been told from people working in services from other county’s.

Indy3995

In my experience of 13 years in the fire service and half of that as a union official, the job has changed so much to its detriment. Its so badly underpaid now and terms and conditions are being eroded at a frightening speed. The numbers of Firefighters that I know that have left or are desperate to get out are staggering. Morale in most large metropolitan brigades is at rock bottom and has been for many years. Had it not been for Grenfell and the debacle that is Brexit...the Conservative Government would have had wheels in motion by now to privatise the Fire Service. It will come eventually! I wouldn't recommend it as a career anymore, it is just a poorly paid Job for the number of skills you have to learn, perform and maintain.
Capability dismissals on fitness will start to increase steadily over the next 10 years as Firefighters have to work till 60 to get their pension. Fail to pass the fitness tests which are becoming tougher, then you face the sack and you are out of work in your late 50's with a heavily (up to 40%) reduced pension that you cant get till state pension age. People dont realise just how much the government has attacked the fire service over the last 10 years. Its scandalous.
Rant over :D and the best of luck if you decide to keep trying to get in

Ladder23

Established Member
very sad to read that, but it comes as no surprise, I've seen and heard it before. What a shame.. the pay is certainly very poor, I would of been taking a good £10,000+ decrease in pay annually if I was successful, during training that is, then once qualified I would still be at a loss, but the money wasn't a issue, it never crossed my mind, I had, and still cannot help but want to fulfil my dream of being a fireman for many reasons. I feel I proved myself twice very well now, I got friendly with a few working guys in local stations too over the years, one serving was actually my college lecturer for public services 10 years ago, we spoke recently. A retired chap told me the same thing, he no longer recommends it and told me I would be an idiot to leave what I have behind.

Thanks for your input anyway buddy, whether I apply for the next campaign or not is another thing, right now I am just very frustrated, I just wish I knew where I was going wrong!

Joliver

In my experience of 13 years in the fire service and half of that as a union official, the job has changed so much to its detriment. Its so badly underpaid now and terms and conditions are being eroded at a frightening speed. The numbers of Firefighters that I know that have left or are desperate to get out are staggering. Morale in most large metropolitan brigades is at rock bottom and has been for many years. Had it not been for Grenfell and the debacle that is Brexit...the Conservative Government would have had wheels in motion by now to privatise the Fire Service. It will come eventually! I wouldn't recommend it as a career anymore, it is just a poorly paid Job for the number of skills you have to learn, perform and maintain.
Capability dismissals on fitness will start to increase steadily over the next 10 years as Firefighters have to work till 60 to get their pension. Fail to pass the fitness tests which are becoming tougher, then you face the sack and you are out of work in your late 50's with a heavily (up to 40%) reduced pension that you cant get till state pension age. People dont realise just how much the government has attacked the fire service over the last 10 years. Its scandalous.
Rant over :D and the best of luck if you decide to keep trying to get in
All the reasons why I left the job.

Ladder23

Established Member
the fitness situation is disgusting, having to perform the requirements in your late 50's to keep your job/ pension. I didn't realise. When do feel the fire service started to go downhill?

Indy3995

the fitness situation is disgusting, having to perform the requirements in your late 50's to keep your job/ pension. I didn't realise. When do feel the fire service started to go downhill?
The biggest change and downturn came with the ludicrous pension change which brought about the last strikes back in 2013. The union has only recently won the fight against the discrimination that these pension changes came with, however it is still ongoing and the government will be appealing in return and will most likely succeed. If they do, we will probably see a return of strike proposals again.

Ladder23

Established Member
Any idea why the government are attacking the fire services? I have not looked into the political side of things before so this is new to me

Indy3995

Any idea why the government are attacking the fire services? I have not looked into the political side of things before so this is new to me
The big picture is that they (Conservative's) ultimately dont want the burden and responsibility so would rather have it in private hands. The best way to go about doing this is strip it down to bare bones in terms of numbers of stations, engines amd firefighters, take away an expensive pension scheme, drive morale to rock bottom so people leave and then in turn leave the union which was one of the remaining strong powerful ones left. This is then much more attractive to the private companies like G4's, Serco etc, that will run an emergency service for profit.
Anyways.....we best not digress and hijack this thread about becoming a train driver with all this :D

Ladder23

Established Member
The big picture is that they (Conservative's) ultimately dont want the burden and responsibility so would rather have it in private hands. The best way to go about doing this is strip it down to bare bones in terms of numbers of stations, engines amd firefighters, take away an expensive pension scheme, drive morale to rock bottom so people leave and then in turn leave the union which was one of the remaining strong powerful ones left. This is then much more attractive to the private companies like G4's, Serco etc, that will run an emergency service for profit.
Anyways.....we best not digress and hijack this thread about becoming a train driver with all this :D

looks to be unfolding that way slowly then, I appreciate your responses buddy, its nice to be able to confer with somebody once from the job. Your right, back to subject :D

C J Snarzell

Established Member
There's some interesting points made on here by the fire service members.

I was in the police for 15 years and all I will say is that the situation in police world these days is just as bad, if not worse than the fire brigade.

Under the Tory government, police numbers have been cut back. In Greater Manchester Police there was just over 8000 officers in the force ten years ago and the present number is around 6,200. The issue is not necessarily the cut backs but the police are now dealing with far more incidents than they were a decade ago.

The top priority in the police now is safeguarding and protecting vulnerable people which ties in with incidents such as domestics or mental health. I found that as a bobbie on the beat, you are basically doing the job of other people such as social services and the hospitals which is wrong. Unfortunately, genuine victims of crime, such as a someone who has been burgled don't get the service they should and they are just being dealt with by a civilian over the telephone who will give them a crime number. Basically there crime is not treated as a priority any more.

I got very down and depressed by the job as I worked the front line and it was a case of sink or swim! You are very often working alone going to some pretty violent incidents with potentially no back up! I was assaulted twice in five years and on both occasions the offenders walked free from court which is another thing that irrated me - repeat offenders who just had no fear of the law and the repurcussions of their actions. The court system is another issue all together and I'll leave that for another time!!!

On night shifts, you would perhaps only parade on four or five constables and a sergeant covering a town the size of Bury or Wigan and you would usually have thirty or forty outstanding incidents on the job queue that were waiting to be dealt with. Some of these jobs are left for days before some one gets a visit. Because of the volume of work you very rarely sat down to have a dedicated meal break and on many occasions I finished late because I was stuck on a crime scene or waiting in A & E with a prisoner and there was no officers available to releave me!

The pension system in the police has also changed. All new recruits now will have to work until their 60 which is a bit much. The older bobbies are presently fighting to retain their pension rights via an arbitration which has been dragging on now for quite a few years. I saw many officers leave before myself and the police in my view is no longer a 30 year career job anymore. A lot of the new starters will move on after 10 years because of the pressures in the job.

Theresa May could not have made it more clearer that she doesn't care about protecting our emergency services. The police regularly come under criticism in the media for various things and I just don't think the wider public appreciate what actually goes on behind the scenes.

I don't think there is actually a perfect job out there, but certainly the railway industry is geared up to look after staff and has a very strict health and safety rules which are again put in place to keep everyone safe. What's safe about turning up at a multiple pub fight on your own?

I hope my thread has been of some use to other forum members.

dctraindriver

did anyone ask about police here!?
I guess they were sharing their experiences within the emergency services as in all of them are getting a kicking from the govt. I found it an interesting post as well as some of the others above. Yours was equally as informative too, thanks for your input.....

Daveb1664

Morning all. Sorry the hijack the post. Does anyone know if you can transfer in to the railway pension from the fire service pension? Have about 13 years service.

Ziege

Yes i know someone who had 11 years fire service pension and received 13 years of railway pension when he transferred it across.

Status
Not open for further replies.