• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Firefox fanbase reaches new high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisM

I for one use IE and have tried Firefox and don't see what all the fuss is about unless someone can enlighten me.
IE works for me.

Guinness

Established Member
IE is more prone to Hackers, Spyware, Adware etc.

Firefox is faster, Customizable and not Microsh!t!

Z12XE

Firefox is more secure for start and doesnt let in all the cr@p/spyware/theifware that IE does.

If there's a hole in IE there's a hole in Windows Operating System...even if IE isnt used it can potentially be exploited and if that Windows system happens to be a server, thats not a good thing

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
IE is more prone to Hackers, Spyware, Adware etc.
That'll be because it is used by most people so the hackers get more 'enjoyment' out of hacking it. Also because it is the best ;)

ChrisM

Guess i'm lucky so far that i have had no problems,EG virus,hackers and so forth.
People at work seem to wet themselves talking about how 'cool' Firefox or Opera is. :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.stopie.com/

Well, it does have some very handy features that IE doesn't have, the one I use most of the time is the right click > copy link location / copy image location.
Not forgetting the numerous add-ons.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Am I right in saying that many features that Firefox boasts will be available in the next version of IE? I think tabbed-browsing was mentioned.

Tbh, I've had no significant problems with IE, though my PC seems to have recently been invaded by those terrible popups. I'd much appreciate some advice on getting rid of them :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tools > Internet Options > Privacy

Under 'Pop up blocker', tick 'block pop-ups', you can click Settings to specify sites to allow pop-ups from (Railuk.org should be in here ;) )

There is also a 'Filter level' to choose how often pop-ups are blocked.

Be warned that some pop-ups are essential, you cannot use some sites without pop-ups (for example the ATOC Routeing Guide).

AlexS

Established Member
To me, it's just a thing I see webpages on. When I see 500 word postings on how cool/crap IE/FireFox/Opera is, I just laugh and click back to the forum index. I personally use none of them. Why? I use a browser made by a person at school! Just type your web page address in the bar, hit enter and you are away. It has only 6 buttons: Refresh, Stop, Go and Back, Home and Search. There's no viruses because only me and about 4 other people have it. And it was made from scratch as well.

About bloody time Firefox got up to 10%. Internet explorer is absolutely full of vulnerabilities which the alternatives (and regularly updated browsers) do not have. I have been informed and can actually believe that Microsoft hasn't made a significant change to IE in years and i truly could not live without some of the features which Firefox Gives me.

I will be downloading Internet Explorer 7, But won't be using it. Purely for the fact 50 different patches will appear on Windows update within the first week of release, as they always do. :lol:

Thanks,
David

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TheProtagonist - you make some good points, but isn't it a bit of an oxymoron to say that they make loads of updates yet never update it? ;)

Z12XE

AlexS said:
And it was made from scratch as well.

Does it just use the IE rendering engine though? If so it will be suseptiable to all the cr@p that IE is

Status
Not open for further replies.