• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First A62 unit to be scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavelex

The first 4 car set of A62 stock is to be scrapped, the units are: (Aldgate end)5173-6173-6172-5172(Uxbridge end).

5173 hit a tree on the approach to Ruislip heading towards Aldgate on 27th May 2007 in heavy rain.

The car was already one of a kind from another accident, where the roof needed to be replaced. There were no driving motor car roofs available, so it had the roof of a trailer car.

Over the past year and a bit, many parts have been taken from the units, although when it first hit the tree it could have been put back in service easily, the never ending shortage of spare parts bites again.

I was on the train when it hit the tree, I have posted a clip on youtube HERE and the picture below was taken after shunting from the scene of the accident into Ruislip station.

a-stock-edit.jpg

I think I can safely say I was the only rail enthusiast on the 5173-6173-6172-5172 fair well tour :lol:

R.I.P 5173-6173-6172-5172

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LilLoaf

Was there passengers on that piccadilly line service ?

Was the driver ok of the MET train ? Its a pitty these units don't have long left in service i heard they are getting replaced. I know they are on the East London line. They are my favourite units on the underground.
Did this happen on the Uxbridge branch of the MET?

Gavelex

Was there passengers on that piccadilly line service ?

Was the driver ok of the MET train ? Its a pitty these units don't have long left in service i heard they are getting replaced. I know they are on the East London line. They are my favourite units on the underground.
Did this happen on the Uxbridge branch of the MET?

No, the Piccadilly line train had come forward as protection for the Emergency Responce Unit working on the track.

The Met driver seemed fine when he was chatting to me and having a laugh about it, but I havn't seen him since (dont use the Met much) so I dont know if what *could* have happened hit him when he got home. IIRC he had someone in the cab with him when he took the train back to Neasden, to 1) be there if he has a panic attack and 2) act as a pilot (as the windscrean was smashed and you couldent see through it).

This happened at Ruislip over a year ago, so yes, Uxbridge branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.