• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

Deltic1961

Especially now the fare has gone up to £3.20 which I personally think is decent enough.

When I think back to all the changes they have made to fares, routes, timings and even bus stops it's no wonder people just deserted it. I'm sure they done that deliberately to finish it off in part.

The economic downturn is plain to see as town is pretty dead now, especially on Fridays and because Aberdeen has no decent clubs a lot of people are just going home earlier too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Despite being rumoured (albeit not confirmed) as getting withdrawn on Friday 5 of the 7 B10BLEs are in use today. 62149/66 on the 40 and 62165/67/80 on the 15. While the other two 62152/78 are both in the main line up at the depot and have had their displays updated for the service changes. So it seems they've survived once again for now.

In other news 69124 is back from repaint although the seats are yet to return from the trimmers so it won't go straight back in to service. 69258 has went for repaint in it's place.

Volvodart

Established Member
It looks like 1 November 2019 was the last day for the Wright Renowns. None were out yesterday and the ones I could see at the depot had their ticket machines and hoppers removed. It looks like there are surplus branded Platinum 12 and Northern Lights buses since the changes, so the spare ones could be early candidates for the new livery.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It looks like 1 November 2019 was the last day for the Wright Renowns. None were out yesterday and the ones I could see at the depot had their ticket machines and hoppers removed. It looks like there are surplus branded Platinum 12 and Northern Lights buses since the changes, so the spare ones could be early candidates for the new livery.

A sad day, but one we all knew was going to come sooner or later. The maintenance backlog has also improved, so there's less vehicles VOR. I suspect they kept the B10s going an extra week after the changes in order to see if they required them.

Volvodart

Established Member
Probably they were waiting to see what the loadings were like in case duplicates were needed.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Updated fleet list is now ready, i was planning to do this sooner. However i wanted to wait until the fleet movements that were anticipated over the last week or had passed.

First Aberdeen Fleet List & Fleet Card (7th November 2019)...

Latest Changes up to November 2019:
20353: In Service to Withdrawn
20354: In Service to Withdrawn
20360: In Service to Withdrawn
20367: In Service to Withdrawn
20372: In Service to Withdrawn
20373: In Service to Withdrawn
20374: In Service to Withdrawn
23401: In Service to Withdrawn
23402: In Service to Withdrawn
37636: Repaint from Platinum 19 to First Aberdeen Livery
56006: In Service to Withdrawn
56501: Repainted into First Aberdeen Coach Hire '2018 livery'
62149: In Service to Withdrawn
62152: In Service to Withdrawn
62153: Withdrawn to Disposal
62155: Withdrawn to Disposal
62165: In Service to Withdrawn
62166: In Service to Withdrawn
62167: In Service to Withdrawn
62178: In Service to Withdrawn
62180: In Service to Withdrawn
67783: Repaint from Olympia to First Aberdeen Livery
69110: Transferred to Glasgow
69122: Transferred to Glasgow
69124: Repaint from Olympia to First Aberdeen Livery
69258: Repaint from Midland Bluebird to First Aberdeen Livery

Edit: Link revised.

Last edited:

Blackpudding

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Thanks for the comprehensive listings Jordan. Just to note for your records that 20354, 23401 and 23402 have been re-registered back to their original registration numbers.

Thanks. I've amended the list to reflect that additional change.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Just a small "mini update".

37636 has now gained full Aberdeen vinyls with it's Wright wings painted.
62165 has been donated to Scottish Fire & Rescue and as such is now at their training facility near Portlethen, B10BLE 60813 also remains at the site.
69254 is currently being repainted

Following capacity issues the 1/1B/2 have been converted to Enviro500/B7LA operation in the evenings, this is the first time for almost a decade that the "big buses" are on all day duties, hopefully the Sunday service will be converted as arguably capacity issues are evening worse, despite there being a good 10 minute frequency.

I wasn’t aware that an E300 had been repainted!

Yup 67783, it was sent down for accident repairs so they painted it while it was down. Hopefully the pace of repaints will pick up and stay constant now.

Blackpudding

An update for your fleet list Jordan is that BMC Schoolbus 68518, SV54CFY, now has a 'SORN' against it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
An update for your fleet list Jordan is that BMC Schoolbus 68518, SV54CFY, now has a 'SORN' against it.

Thanks for that, there's been lots of withdrawals within coach hire lately (They kept on extra coaches until Offshore Europe had finished), not helped by the fact some of those have since been reinstated. So it's been hard to keep track of things. Interesting to see 68518 has came off though as the plan was to retain both BMCs.

*****Separate Post*****

Ex-Aberdeen Prototype Bluebird AAFE 68000 Q275LBA has now been scrapped, this vehicle was saved for preservation in the North East England area, however it appears it has fallen through. Can't say i'm too surprised as it's a one off vehicle and a non-runner!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
B7RLE 69254 is now back from repaint and in service, Enviro300 67804 has now departed in it's place.

Volvodart

Established Member
With all the battered and scraped buses to choose from and too many branded buses because of the service cuts, it seems odds to choose a respectable looking unbranded one!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Reply to a post in the First Glasgow Thread

I wonder if with the repaints they’ll debrand the E500s or whether they’ll want the 1/2 to be fully branded

They'll want branding on the 1/2, but i suspect just now the focus is more really on getting as many buses in the new livery as possible and spread over different services. Hence why formerly branded 67783 hasn't been rebranded.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
38210 is now back in service after being off since June, this was due to head for repaint but failed on the way down near Laurencekirk after the coolant pip burst. 67801 is instead currently away for repaint.

Repainted 20021, 23330 & 56501 will be gaining full coach hire vinyls this weekend. The latter of which recent got a new engine so should be around for a good while yet.

Short update, 68518 is just off getting some mechanical work and a MOT, it should be returning soon.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
38210 is now back in service after being off since June, this was due to head for repaint but failed on the way down near Laurencekirk after the coolant pip burst. 67801 is instead currently away for repaint.

Repainted 20021, 23330 & 56501 will be gaining full coach hire vinyls this weekend. The latter of which recent got a new engine so should be around for a good while yet.

Short update, 68518 is just off getting some mechanical work and a MOT, it should be returning soon.

That’s a shame would have been nice to see an E500 repainted! I’m looking forward to seeing these branded up for the 1/2 with the red front.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That’s a shame would have been nice to see an E500 repainted! I’m looking forward to seeing these branded up for the 1/2 with the red front.

I'd imagine they'd send 38210 or another E500 fairly soon anyway. I'm not all that surprised 38210 broke down given it hadn't been ran properly for about 5 months.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I remember the 05 plate B7LAs being so much nicer and a step up than the W/X plates. I used to get them on the 40 and sometimes they’d stray on to the 61 or 62 rarely. They were nice buses. I miss a bit of variety.

Just before the B10LAs went to Aberdeen, they started appearing on the 62 a bit more during peaks.

I wonder what Aberdeen will do when the bendy buses come up for replacement. I wonder what high capacity buses they can use. I don’t know which bendy buses are available for the UK these days unless they go for an Enviro or Wright bus but I assume they’d need to commit to more orders so perhaps they could order some for Glasgow permitting they manage to create a Euro 6 variation?

10183 was decent, but again native examples were better, probably in part because they didn't get hammered as much.

If First were to order new Artics i suspect they'd combine an order for Aberdeen and Bath as that would total 30 vehicles which is probably enough to satisfy ADL/Wright, operators which currently have Citaros could take interest too. If i were to guess they'd probably be B8RLEA based (already offered in Australia).

The issue with deckers on the 1/2 is capacity, even the E500s are too small for peak RGU runs (although better suited at the Bridge Of Don end), to make matters worse Enviro400XLBs (which would have decent enough capacity) are too long to fit round the RGU site and won't fit along the route of the 1 within Bridge Of Don, particularly Balgownie and are too long for Ashwood/Scotstown Terminus.

In all honesty looking at how things are going i suspect when (cough... if) the new Streetdecks arrive the Geminis will be shunted on to the Non-Bridges E500 duties and 1B short workings to allow the E500s to exclusively operate the full length 1/1B/2, but it's going to be hell in the morning peak when that happens!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

10183 was decent, but again native examples were better, probably in part because they didn't get hammered as much.

If First were to order new Artics i suspect they'd combine an order for Aberdeen and Bath as that would total 30 vehicles which is probably enough to satisfy ADL/Wright, operators which currently have Citaros could take interest too. If i were to guess they'd probably be B8RLEA based (already offered in Australia).

The issue with deckers on the 1/2 is capacity, even the E500s are too small for peak RGU runs (although better suited at the Bridge Of Don end), to make matters worse Enviro400XLBs (which would have decent enough capacity) are too long to fit round the RGU site and won't fit along the route of the 1 within Bridge Of Don, particularly Balgownie and are too long for Ashwood/Scotstown Terminus.

In all honesty looking at how things are going i suspect when (cough... if) the new Streetdecks arrive the Geminis will be shunted on to the Non-Bridges E500 duties and 1B short workings to allow the E500s to exclusively operate the full length 1/1B/2, but it's going to be hell in the morning peak when that happens!

Really wouldn’t expect artics for Bath. The ones currently used are employed in crowd shifting at peak. Off peak, the e400mmc are more than enough. They’ll use them until they can run no more.

In fact, triaxle deckers are the way forward.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

Surely there is no other option here but to look into high capacity artics then? If they are the best source of dealing with the capacity surely First have no other choice but to consider the B8RLEA. The newest artics Aberdeen have are now 14 years old and up for replacement within the next couple of years so surely plans must be in motion.

I never even considered Bath I always thought Glasgow streets were too tight for artics but they would suit certain routes of which the used to operate on like the 2, 9, 61, 60. The could even be used on peak 1 services operating to Old Kilpatrick like before or even just Clydebank.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Surely there is no other option here but to look into high capacity artics then? If they are the best source of dealing with the capacity surely First have no other choice but to consider the B8RLEA. The newest artics Aberdeen have are now 14 years old and up for replacement within the next couple of years so surely plans must be in motion.

I never even considered Bath I always thought Glasgow streets were too tight for artics but they would suit certain routes of which the used to operate on like the 2, 9, 61, 60. The could even be used on peak 1 services operating to Old Kilpatrick like before or even just Clydebank.

I think the issue with Glasgow is more poor parking and infrastructure, Artics are actually fairly manoeuvrable (except when reversing) but at city centre stops they do need more space, however they spend less time at stops as the loading/unloading process is faster. The E400XLB is the first decker sold in the UK that's been able to get even near to a bendy bus in terms of overall capacity, however it's main downfall is manoeuvrability. Despite some rough early years the B7LAs besides from their worn paint jobs and a few rattles still run well. However being realistic their time is nearly up.

They should look at a split fleet again and do the following..
  • 10 B8L/E400XLBs* for the 2: The higher seating capacity makes them well suited to the busy Ashwood runs.
  • 15 B8RLEA/ADL body for the 1/1B: The Bridge Of Don end of the 1/1B is not as busy as the 2 so they do not need the seating capacity of the E400XLBs, artics can also get round the tight junctions in Balgownie/Braehead where the E400XLBs would struggle or find it impossible. The higher overall capacity and improved passenger flow when loading/offloading also makes them better for the RGU runs.
  • Retain the Enviro500s: 1B peak extras, School duties, non 1/2 & 19 decker duties etc.
  • Cascade the Geminis to Glasgow to assist with LEZ
*If Enviro400XLBs were allocated on the 2 Ashwood terminus would have to be modified, while there is space to do this i doubt the council would be willing, despite the fact the current turning circle (which dates back almost 25 years) was only meant to be built on a temporary basis until the road got extended - however this never happened.

For reference (although not the best example) at 0:50 in this video you can see a B7LA (10154) turning at what is probably the tightest turn on the route. As you can see it gets round fine, however buses operate both ways round that turn and it's tougher going the other direction and at quite an awkward angle with very steep inclines at both sides. Although it's impossible to know without physically trialling, i am pretty confident anything rigid that's longer than the E500s will not make it round, granted the Hydrogens are longer at 13M and get round however the rear axles are set quite far forward on these and the turning circle is superior to most other types, this is not the case on the E400XLB where the wheelbase is rather long and turning circle is poor.

Really wouldn’t expect artics for Bath. The ones currently used are employed in crowd shifting at peak. Off peak, the e400mmc are more than enough. They’ll use them until they can run no more.

In fact, triaxle deckers are the way forward.

It was just an idea as a way to bump up order numbers, i'm not the best glued on the situation in Bath atm.

I would generally agree tri-axle deckers are the way forward, however i think it really comes down to each situation individually and the operational requirements, in the case of the 1 i don't personally believe they are the future for that reason.

danielwilkie

I think you may be surprised what the Enviro400XLB will do when turning. Dont think ashwood would be any issues and the RGU wont be a problem either. They are the only viable solution to the attics at Aberdeen

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think you may be surprised what the Enviro400XLB will do when turning. Dont think ashwood would be any issues and the RGU wont be a problem either. They are the only viable solution to the attics at Aberdeen

Not sure i'd agree, they barely fit round the mini roundabout on Waverley Bridge in Edinburgh and it's bigger than Ashwood Turning Circle. E400XLBs would probably get round Ashwood but the point is that it would be a struggle. As i say though this is more to do with the fact that Ashwood Terminus was only meant to be temporary. If you look at it you can see that one side is a straight line with a 90 degree corner this is because the original plans were for the road to extend to join up with Scotstown Road, however that phase of the development never became reality so we're left with a unfinished "bodged" turning circle that most drivers go the wrong way around as it's easier to do. As for RGU, the main concern is the area outside the Sports Centre. However as i say a E400XLB would have to be trialled before we knew for sure. What i can say with total certainty however is that Enviro400XLBs will not make it round the turn in Balgownie.

Lastly E400XLBs are not the only "Viable" solution, i still hold the view that a new mixed fleet would be best with 15 Artics for the 1/1B and 10 Tri-axles for the 2, with E500s being retained for peak extras, schools and other services. It's pretty evident that the Artics are preferred on the 1/2 too as on weekdays they always take priority on the route over the E500s which tend to quite often be shunted on to the Lochside Academy runs, the Peak only 1B short workings and what's left of the full length 1/2 workings (there's not enough Artics to cover these).

The 1/1B do not need the seating capacity as the majority of the passengers over the busier sections are on the bus for 10 minutes at most, compared to the 2 which is far more used north of the Bridge Of Don. Even in the evening peak you'll find if a Artic is on the 2 it'll still have standing passengers by the time it gets to Jesmond Drive, the 1 however will be down to no more than 10 passengers by Braehead Way. That's not to say the 1/1B are not well used, it's just that the 2 is busier.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The E500s must surely be due a midlife refurbishment. I remember the seats being a bit tired even when they left Glasgow in 2015 and by that point the buses were only 6 years old. Not sure I’m keen on the seating it’s very London style seating like on the 55 plate B7TL that Glasgow has.

It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with for the 1/2 and I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough given the B7LAs are almost at the end of their life and the E500s are now 10 (almost 11) years old now so they’re beginning to get on a bit too.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The E500s must surely be due a midlife refurbishment. I remember the seats being a bit tired even when they left Glasgow in 2015 and by that point the buses were only 6 years old. Not sure I’m keen on the seating it’s very London style seating like on the 55 plate B7TL that Glasgow has.

It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with for the 1/2 and I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough given the B7LAs are almost at the end of their life and the E500s are now 10 (almost 11) years old now so they’re beginning to get on a bit too.

Honestly i wouldn't be too surprised if once the new Hydrogens arrive the cascaded Geminis get used to replace E500s on non 1/2 duties allowing the E500s to be fully allocated to the 1/2. The interiors are quite tidy on them, they just need a retrim.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Just a quick catch up with the recent repaints and disposals. This will probably be the last fleetlist of 2019 as i can't imagine any further changes happening until after the new year.

First Aberdeen Fleet List & Fleet Card (18th December 2019)...

Fleet changes up to December 2019
20360: Transferred to First Kernow
23402: Transferred to First Kernow
62165: Donated to Scottish Fire & Rescue Service
67799: Repaint from Olympia to First Aberdeen Green Livery
67800: Repaint from Olympia to First Aberdeen Green Livery
67801: Repaint from Olympia to First Aberdeen Green Livery
67804: Repaint from Olympia to First Aberdeen Green Livery
69254: Repaint from Barbie 3 to First Aberdeen Green Livery