First Aberdeen

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by Jordan Adam, 21 Jun 2018.

1. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

It does not surprise me one bit..

2. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

All 6 that were planned to move are now there, with 10167/68/69 confirmed as in service with temporary Unibus branding.

First Aberdeen's maintenance seems to be on par to be fair. The only bus types there's any real issues with are the Streetlites (No comment) and the fuel injector issues on the B9TLs. As i say the fuel injector issues are common across all B9s with the D9B engine. It's not too bad on the Geminis here, but certainly with the 4 Olympus and the B9R Panthers on the 35 and Royal Deeside corridors it's proving to be a massive reliability constraint with daily breakdowns. That said Stagecoach North Scotland maintenance generally speaking is not something to speak highly of...

The Enviro300s are quite interesting, Glasgow's are on very different work to ours. Aberdeen's E300s are solid reliable motors easily the smoothest running buses i've ever been on. Finally the E200s here have not had any issues (65 plates).

The Artics are quite reliable too, they only issues they ever have is running out of coolant on the hotter days (less of an issue now the Euro 2 variants are gone) and the air tank failure, not much can be done about this really, it is avoidable, but often the drivers are not aware it's going on until the jacknife break comes on and the buses refuses to move until both tanks are equal again.

3. Gingerbus1991

Gingerbus1991 Member

Then again, as you mention panthers, The B9R elites that were on stagies x7 did a short time as dunfermline to replace some of the scania 6x2s on the x55’s, I remember them having really clattery engines by that time although they were humped on the x7, The ishift on these wasnt all the best either but the B136x2 and newer B11R4x2 elites on the x60 st andrews <> leven do seem to be an improvement, the ishift does seem to have different ratios to better effect these days since the b12’s and b9’s were introduced, i’d personally like a shot of lothiancoaches new b11r panthers to sample the ZF gearbox.

Glasgows 300’s still are decent to be fair, but the interiors are starting to look grubby.

I actually cant criticise streetlites, never driven one, while I don’t actually think dunfermlines 200mmc’s were all that bad on the move either, my biggest critisism of those was there sluggishness of the mark despite them being 6-cylinder engined, especially at halbeath P&R roundabout, the voith trans was almost always confused by changing terrain, something I think is well documented by drivers, its almost as if it were hunting for gears that it didnt have.

4. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

5. Gingerbus1991

Gingerbus1991 Member

6. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

When they work yes, but the reliability of them is a major draw back. Lately they've been using them as little as possible.
    The lease to First/Stagecoach ends in December and as far as i know Stagecoach will not be extending their lease, thus returning the vehicles to the council.

The technology has advanced quite a bit in recent years, and the recent trials of the Streetdeck went smooth without any hitch, unlike the trials of the VanHools which saw a number of breakdowns!

7. Gingerbus1991

Gingerbus1991 Member

Heres hoping

8. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

The Hydrogen powered Enviro400 demonstrator is now at King Street Depot for trials.

9. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

Quite an interesting article in the P&J today regarding council run bus services.

To be fair even if ACC did have the option to start up their own bus services i highly doubt the TC would grant them a PSV License.