First Aberdeen

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by Jordan Adam, 21 Jun 2018.

1. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

It does not surprise me one bit..

2. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Established Member

All 6 that were planned to move are now there, with 10167/68/69 confirmed as in service with temporary Unibus branding.

First Aberdeen's maintenance seems to be on par to be fair. The only bus types there's any real issues with are the Streetlites (No comment) and the fuel injector issues on the B9TLs. As i say the fuel injector issues are common across all B9s with the D9B engine. It's not too bad on the Geminis here, but certainly with the 4 Olympus and the B9R Panthers on the 35 and Royal Deeside corridors it's proving to be a massive reliability constraint with daily breakdowns. That said Stagecoach North Scotland maintenance generally speaking is not something to speak highly of...

The Enviro300s are quite interesting, Glasgow's are on very different work to ours. Aberdeen's E300s are solid reliable motors easily the smoothest running buses i've ever been on. Finally the E200s here have not had any issues (65 plates).

The Artics are quite reliable too, they only issues they ever have is running out of coolant on the hotter days (less of an issue now the Euro 2 variants are gone) and the air tank failure, not much can be done about this really, it is avoidable, but often the drivers are not aware it's going on until the jacknife break comes on and the buses refuses to move until both tanks are equal again.

3. Gingerbus1991

Gingerbus1991 Member

Then again, as you mention panthers, The B9R elites that were on stagies x7 did a short time as dunfermline to replace some of the scania 6x2s on the x55’s, I remember them having really clattery engines by that time although they were humped on the x7, The ishift on these wasnt all the best either but the B136x2 and newer B11R4x2 elites on the x60 st andrews <> leven do seem to be an improvement, the ishift does seem to have different ratios to better effect these days since the b12’s and b9’s were introduced, i’d personally like a shot of lothiancoaches new b11r panthers to sample the ZF gearbox.

Glasgows 300’s still are decent to be fair, but the interiors are starting to look grubby.

I actually cant criticise streetlites, never driven one, while I don’t actually think dunfermlines 200mmc’s were all that bad on the move either, my biggest critisism of those was there sluggishness of the mark despite them being 6-cylinder engined, especially at halbeath P&R roundabout, the voith trans was almost always confused by changing terrain, something I think is well documented by drivers, its almost as if it were hunting for gears that it didnt have.

4. Jordan Adam

5. Gingerbus1991

Gingerbus1991 Member

6. Jordan Adam

When they work yes, but the reliability of them is a major draw back. Lately they've been using them as little as possible.
    The lease to First/Stagecoach ends in December and as far as i know Stagecoach will not be extending their lease, thus returning the vehicles to the council.

The technology has advanced quite a bit in recent years, and the recent trials of the Streetdeck went smooth without any hitch, unlike the trials of the VanHools which saw a number of breakdowns!

7. Gingerbus1991

Gingerbus1991 Member

Heres hoping

8. Jordan Adam

The Hydrogen powered Enviro400 demonstrator is now at King Street Depot for trials.

9. Jordan Adam

Quite an interesting article in the P&J today regarding council run bus services.

To be fair even if ACC did have the option to start up their own bus services i highly doubt the TC would grant them a PSV License.

10. overthewater

A number of changes have appeaered for 12th nov.. Is this part of the new by pass opening?

11. Volvodart

Volvodart Member

Broad Street and Upperkirkgate closing for the Christmas Market.

12. Jordan Adam

13. Jordan Adam

14. overthewater

Who is getting these buses?

15. Jordan Adam

It's been mentioned on Flickr that these are off to some Essex, with some other E300s due to head south. 67805 should be the only example from Aberdeen though,

16. Blackpudding

Blackpudding Member

Mercedes-Benz Vario 56006 and 56009 are currently untaxed. They should have been re-taxed by today and would normally be taxed well in advance of the 1st of the month. Please can anyone confirm if they have been stood down?

17. Jordan Adam

I'm unsure what the current status for the Mercs is, but they're not in the list of vehicles due for refurbishment so i suspect they'll be leaving the fleet soon if they've not been re-taxed, either that or the DVLA are slow in updating.

A number of new and nearly new coaches are away to join the fleet. Currently confirmed are 3 Panthers, 2 Elites and a Sunsundegui bodied B9R. Possibly some Temsa's too. Refurbishments will be for the Levante's, B7Rs and 20021, these will be done by Simpson's of Rosehearty. 20353, 23021 and 23305 will be leaving the fleet as they've started to leak badly.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2018
  18. Volvodart

Volvodart Member

One of the duties done by the minibuses is now done by a coach. I think they only have one minibus duty now. 56501 is pretty unreliable and often out of service. I wonder if the one spare for it will be enough though?

19. Jordan Adam

56501 is a decent vehicle, but it's suffering from the engine overheating. It's normally on the Garthdee to ISA (via South Deeside) run.

20. Blackpudding

Blackpudding Member

Thanks for the response Jordan. I didn't realise that Aberdeen were due additional coaches. I'm sure I read, at some point, that the coach hire side was being wound down. What's changed?

21. Volvodart

Volvodart Member

56009 is the minibus that is in use today.

22. Blackpudding

Blackpudding Member

Thanks Volvo Dart. I've just checked the DVLA site again and 56009 is now shown as taxed since my comments last night. 56006 still remains untaxed - at this time!

23. Jordan Adam

B10BLE 62169 has been converted to a driver trainer and is back in the Aberdeen fleet.

24. Strathclyder

Strathclyder Established Member

As has 62163 (was moved back up to Aberdeen the day after these images were taken). 62164 was still at Caledonia as of Thursday (abeit converted/repainted & awaiting application of decals/vinyls), while 62177 has yet to be either converted or repainted (164 is in front of 177 in the second image, for those wondering).

25. Jordan Adam

Many thanks for sharing, still no sign of 62179 strangely! It left with 62164 and went to Larbert, but it's not been seen since!

I suspect 62163/69 will replace Scania 61230 which has picked up a engine defect (preserved 62228 covering for it just now) along with the B10M N535SJF that's on loan currently.

I'm unsure if Aberdeen will see 62164/77 return as they really don't need 4 trainers, perhaps they're destined for Scotland East?

26. Strathclyder

Strathclyder Established Member

Maybe so, with us getting 61230 in exchange after repairs are effected, given that FiG has now settled on the Wright Eclipse Solar/Scania L94UB combination for it's training fleet (the number of the older Axcess Floline-bodied L94s has dropped off quite a bit recently).

27. Jordan Adam

Sunsundegui bodied Volvo B9R BF63 HEV has now arrived at King Street Depot. It will be given the fleet number 20812.

This is the first of about 6 vehicles due for First Aberdeen Coach Hire to replace older stock. It was painted white at Caledonia and should gain full vinyls in due course.

28. Blackpudding

Blackpudding Member

In a move associated with this, 23305 has now been re-registered back to its original registration YN54NXX from PSU628.

29. Jordan Adam

You beat me to it! I was just about to post that. Grr :P

I'm unsure if they'll sell the 3 coaches on or just scrap them, i'd suspect they'll be for scrap seeing as they leak.

30. Blackpudding

Blackpudding Member

Ha! I also notice that Volvo B7R 20353 (WA05UNF) was not re-taxed at the start of this month according to the DVLA. It's not on your list for disposal so any info gleaned would be appreciated.