• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

Volvodart

Established Member
You can get them at the reception to King Street Depot, there's a rack to the right of the door.

They had a lot of out of date timetables and they then all disappeared. They now have some, unsure if all routes and if they are up to date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Temporary timetables will be in place from the 26th of March 2020 until further notice. These timetables are in effect just a Sunday service but with additional morning journeys. The 1B, 3A, 8 & 18 will not be operating with the 8A operating Monday to Saturday and the 40 operating every day. As such there will be not services at all to Kirkhill, Altens, Charleston, Cornhill, Whitestripes, Tullos, Balnagask Circle, Mugiemoss, Riverview Drive (Dyce), Old Aberdeen & Hillhead Of Seaton.

Timetables can be viewed here - https://www.firstgroup.com/aberdeen/plan-journey/timetables/?source_id=3&operator=19&service=&page=1

Last edited:

lastbus

Temporary timetables will be in place from the 26th of March 2020 until further notice. These timetables are in effect just a Sunday service but with additional morning journeys. The 1B, 3A, 8, 18, 20 & X27 will not be operating with the 8A operating Monday to Saturday and the 40 operating every day. As such there will be not services at all to Kirkhill, Altens, Charleston, Cornhill, Whitestripes, Tullos, Balnagask Circle, Mugiemoss, Riverview Drive (Dyce), Old Aberdeen & Hillhead Of Seaton.

Timetables can be viewed here - https://www.firstgroup.com/aberdeen/plan-journey/timetables/?source_id=3&operator=19&service=&page=1
Glasgow will be the same ASAP.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Staff shuttle apparently

We'll have to wait and see what happens but i'd doubt that is the case. Why would they bring a 07 plate Solo up from the other end of the country when the Aberdeen fleet already has a mini (56501) that can be used on staff shuttles if needed, especially when that 07 plate could be used to oust an older Solo at another opco.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
We'll have to wait and see what happens but i'd doubt that is the case. Why would they bring a 07 plate Solo up from the other end of the country when the Aberdeen fleet already has a mini (56501) that can be used on staff shuttles if needed, especially when that 07 plate could be used to oust an older Solo at another opco.

There are precious few opcos that actually would require it. First SW don't need it and FHD only have 14 plate SRs. It's too long for Bath so that's FWoE out. No Solos at Sth Yorkshire, Essex or EC, and at Midlands, only a few in Worcester and it's too long for them.

It's quite amazing how few Solos are now in service with First when there were places like Worcester and Chelmsford that were absolutely teeming with them.

Bus Lightyear

Can't see that move taking place any time soon. Unnecessary under the present circumstances.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Can't see that move taking place any time soon. Unnecessary under the present circumstances.

Hasn't stopped repaints. Nor did it stop a Profile going the other way to Kernow!

There are precious few opcos that actually would require it. First SW don't need it and FHD only have 14 plate SRs. It's too long for Bath so that's FWoE out. No Solos at Sth Yorkshire, Essex or EC, and at Midlands, only a few in Worcester and it's too long for them.

It's quite amazing how few Solos are now in service with First when there were places like Worcester and Chelmsford that were absolutely teeming with them.

Even then though Scotland East and Glasgow still have a few 2002/3 vintage Solos running.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Even then though Scotland East and Glasgow still have a few 2002/3 vintage Solos running.

Like I said, precious few. Aside from those and Cymru, it does highlight how few Solos actually survive in First these days, probably reflecting the way in which First have widened headways (so favouring larger vehicles) and also walking away from tendered work where Solos are a useful tool.

That it's gone from Potteries to Essex to Somerset and now being punted to Aberdeen (?) might indicate it may not be the best. However, it may still have depreciation against it.

Bus Lightyear

Hasn't stopped repaints. Nor did it stop a Profile going the other way to Kernow!
If I were the member of staff given the job of taking a vehicle almost the entire length of the UK under the present circumstances, I think my response to that manager would not be very polite.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
With reprints still underway during the pandemic are there any plans for any of the Aberdeen buses to receive branding? It’s important to get them all into the new livery I get that but have their been any plans to do this or will all buses just be in the Aberdeen green and white livery?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
With reprints still underway during the pandemic are there any plans for any of the Aberdeen buses to receive branding? It’s important to get them all into the new livery I get that but have their been any plans to do this or will all buses just be in the Aberdeen green and white livery?

There will be branding at some point, the whole point of the new livery scheme is to better incorporate route branding and the idea of a colour coded network. It was originally thought branding may appear as we enter the new financial year and a budget becomes available, however with the losses that are anticipated due to Covid-19 i wouldn't be surprised if the budget for this year is ditched again.

Repaints stopped around 2 weeks in to lockdown, repaints in Glasgow did stop all together briefly but have since started again, i'm not sure what the current plan is regarding Aberdeen as prior to lockdown they were consistently repainted the E300s at a rate of 1-2 per week, with more than half now done.

At present repaints are as follows:
B9TL: 37636
Streetlite: 63203
E300: 67783/86/93/96/97/98/99/800/01/02/03/04
B7RLE: 69124/134/254/258/282/284/290/294

I suspect they'll hold off repainting any further Geminis until later in the year when the Streetdecks come as 37638-44 are due to leave the fleet. With the fleet due to increase in size by the end of the year (23 out, 35 in) i wouldn't be shocked if some single deckers are cascaded elsewhere too. 69123 is likely on the bucket list given that it doesn't comply for LEZ funding and it is in very poor condition both externally and internally.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There will be branding at some point, the whole point of the new livery scheme is to better incorporate route branding and the idea of a colour coded network. It was originally thought branding may appear as we enter the new financial year and a budget becomes available, however with the losses that are anticipated due to Covid-19 i wouldn't be surprised if the budget for this year is ditched again.

Repaints stopped around 2 weeks in to lockdown, repaints in Glasgow did stop all together briefly but have since started again, i'm not sure what the current plan is regarding Aberdeen as prior to lockdown they were consistently repainted the E300s at a rate of 1-2 per week, with more than half now done.

At present repaints are as follows:
B9TL: 37636
Streetlite: 63203
E300: 67783/86/93/96/97/98/99/800/01/02/03/04
B7RLE: 69124/134/254/258/282/284/290/294

I suspect they'll hold off repainting any further Geminis until later in the year when the Streetdecks come as 37638-44 are due to leave the fleet. With the fleet due to increase in size by the end of the year (23 out, 35 in) i wouldn't be shocked if some single deckers are cascaded elsewhere too. 69123 is likely on the bucket list given that it doesn't comply for LEZ funding and it is in very poor condition both externally and internally.

I wonder if the plan is for 37638-44 to be cascaded to Glasgow like the ex-FSE B9TLs to help with LEZ. Are there still plans for some bendies to come up from down South?

It would be interesting to see route branding on Aberdeen services but it makes sense just now for them to continue getting the buses into the new livery.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I wonder if the plan is for 37638-44 to be cascaded to Glasgow like the ex-FSE B9TLs to help with LEZ. Are there still plans for some bendies to come up from down South?

It would be interesting to see route branding on Aberdeen services but it makes sense just now for them to continue getting the buses into the new livery.

It's not been confirmed where the Geminis would go but yes i'd find that most likely, or to Scotland East to displace the life expired B7TLs. Yes we're still due to get 11106/8-15 from York. The 9 Citaros from York combined with the 5 retained Geminis will displace the 14 B7LAs.

Hopefully once the E300s are all repainted they'll gain blue branding for the 17/18. It would also be nice to see the Citaros with red fronts for the 1/2.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Deltic1961

It's basically pedestrianisation through the back door to appease the overwhelming cycling / walking lobby at ACC.

They've been waiting years to pull a stunt like this and to hell with the consequences.

I have lived in aberdeen my whole life and it doesn't matter how much they push it and how much money is wasted Aberdeen is too cold and hilly to make it work. Some may think this will make Union Street and surrounding areas thrive but it will kill them off completely.

£1.7 million on something apparently temporary is a crass waste of money from Scottish Government. The social distancing rule will be gone in a couple of months at most and all the money spent by businesses and Councils implementing the changes is a total waste.

Grampian Region has had 250 deaths out of 400,000 people, 50% in care homes and this gives them the right to shut off the City Centre?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It's basically pedestrianisation through the back door to appease the overwhelming cycling / walking lobby at ACC.

They've been waiting years to pull a stunt like this and to hell with the consequences.

I have lived in aberdeen my whole life and it doesn't matter how much they push it and how much money is wasted Aberdeen is too cold and hilly to make it work. Some may think this will make Union Street and surrounding areas thrive but it will kill them off completely.

£1.7 million on something apparently temporary is a crass waste of money from Scottish Government. The social distancing rule will be gone in a couple of months at most and all the money spent by businesses and Councils implementing the changes is a total waste.

Grampian Region has had 250 deaths out of 400,000 people, 50% in care homes and this gives them the right to shut off the City Centre?

I fully agree, as i've said since the closures started these aren't to protect people or enforce social distancing (the closures make no real change in that regard), they're just so the council can push through their unwanted and unpopular agenda without prior consultation. I don't know where the £1.7M has went as thus far all they've done is play with some cones. They said the measures would be implemented in 3 weeks. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and so far they've done nothing.

I do think part pedestrianisation (Broad Street - Union Terrace) of Union Street could work, however it needs to be done in a way that Buses can still serve the full length and viable alternatives for cars are found. This would also need to be done after the Berryden / South College Street improvements are completed. In addition restrictions would have to be put in for HGVs, specifically on Guild Street and perhaps around the Castle Hill area although i'm not sure what exactly for the latter as it could present numerous issues depending on how it's implemented. The main concern with closing Union Street is that you send far too much cars up Union Terrace / Schoolhill / Upperkirkgate.

With your last point i can guarantee of the other 50% the vast majority were elderly people with underlying conditions. It's a tough balance because on the one hand you need to protect those vulnerable, but on the other hand for most people the virus isn't any worse than the flu and closing businesses and asking everyone to stay at home will do nothing but kill the economy.

On a side note for the moment bus services seem to be coping okay, however with the next phase coming in the currently level of service will probably need reviewed.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Most Services will be getting enhanced from next Monday. A rough rundown of services is listed below, timetables should be publicly available soon.

1/2: Saturday timetable (7/8 Mins)
1B: Saturday timetable (30 Mins)
3/3A: Saturday timetable (15 Mins)
8: Not operating
8A: Normal service
11: Saturday timetable (20 Mins)
12: Special Timetable (15 Mins)
13: Saturday timetable (20 Mins)
15: Unchanged (40 Mins)
17/18: Saturday timetable (10 Mins)
19: Saturday timetable (15 Mins)
20: Special Timetable (hourly)
23: Special Timetable (15 Mins)
X27: Special Timetable (Hourly)

12/23 will provide a 7/8 minute frequency to Heathryfold.

* Routes with "Saturday Timetable" are running roughly to a Saturday level of service, but may have extra morning journeys or be retimed.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Revised social distancing is being implemented on buses for Monday.

Updated capacities for the First Aberdeen fleet are as follows:
B9TL - 38
Enviro500 - 42
Streetlite - 19
Enviro200MMC - 19
Enviro300 - 20
B7RLE - 22

Last edited:

Deltic1961

Was there any conversation on the potential takeover of First Aberdeen by ACC?

They can't run a bath let alone something as complex as a bus service.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Was there any conversation on the potential takeover of First Aberdeen by ACC?

They can't run a bath let alone something as complex as a bus service.

It's been sporadically mentioned a few times but never a dedicated thread or anything as there's doesn't really need to be.

Every year in June/July the council claim they're buying out First Aberdeen, it's merely just a publicity stunt that they've pulled every year (probably since deregulation :lol:). First have no interest in a sale and even if they were the council wouldn't be able to give a high enough offer. We could go in to more detail about it but there's really not much more to say!