• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Bus Introduce Social Distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerOut

Who is blaming the drivers?

My complaint was directed to First at keeping a busy route to one bus per hour leaving myself and others behind.

Apologies, that wasn’t aimed at you as such, just a general comment. I just meant it seems that bus drivers are in a no win situation with these guidelines.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

But did they succumb because they were bus staff? I imagine far more people who were not bus staff have died than those who were. Thus proving conclusively that the safest occupation you can be in is a bus driver. :?:
Which is why I said rate rather than numbers. But hey, great " joke". You decide what that proves.

And there is zero evidence any of those contracted it at work.

Type 2 diabetes is disproportionately high amongst lorry and bus drivers, increasing covid risk
It's impossible to prove where anyone caught it, but sitting in a big metal box for 8 or 9 hours a day with numerous contacts with the public,unable to access hand washing facilities for 5 and a half hours, cut every corner management attitude to drivers health and safety, companies lying about PPE and cleaning, still handling cash ( which is filthy) whilst being denied hand gel and toilet access and many of them being in a group most at risk won't help.

Surely if they are in one of the most at risk groups they should be supported more, not less?

Perhaps I am a bit naive, I honestly thought companies would step up to the plate and do the right thing,rather than their usual treat their drivers as an expendable nuisance.

There are a number of people in this thread who would make excellent depot managers, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

richw

Veteran Member
but sitting in a big metal box for 8 or 9 hours a day with numerous contacts with the public,unable to access hand washing facilities for 5 and a half hours, cut every corner management attitude to drivers health and safety, companies lying about PPE and cleaning, still handling cash ( which is filthy) whilst being denied hand gel and toilet access and many of them being in a group most at risk won't help.

Your post is misguided again. 95% of those who died were London, where they have huge Perspex screens, don’t handle cash, don’t interact with customers, yet deaths elsewhere are very low.

There is no lying in my experience from any bus company and ppe has been supplied here is just some of my issues stuff. I have much more too.

We have new Perspex screens, fitted to the entire fleet as we didn’t have them before

Attachments

• 92048342-2F60-40C1-9AC4-ED4CD8D52390.jpeg
    92048342-2F60-40C1-9AC4-ED4CD8D52390.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • D8C043C0-F0B5-4F9D-B18F-211D37AE5548.jpeg
    D8C043C0-F0B5-4F9D-B18F-211D37AE5548.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37

northernchris

Established Member
One observation I have is that bus and coach drivers (and lorry drivers too, so I wonder how the stats go with those?) seem disproportionately likely to be overweight, probably because their job is completely sedentary and (unlike office workers) they tend to work long shifts, so meaning little opportunity for daily exercise. Being obese (BMI>30) is a very high risk factor for COVID to develop into a serious case.

There's also many drivers, particularly in London, who are from the BAME community and unfortunately they are more likely to succumb to the virus

Enthusiast

still handling cash ( which is filthy)

Completely with you on that - but not Covid related. No buses should take cash payments. Cash was banished from London buses some time ago (so long ago I can't remember when it was). If cashless works in London it can be made to work anywhere.

RogerOut

London went cashless in 2014. Remember their network is different from the rest of the UK though.
Their fares are single only, no farestages. Concession tickets can be used at any time.
The Oyster card ( if people still use them) can be topped up at newsagents and online.
Many people don’t have contactless bank cards, and particularly out in the sticks may find it hard to not use cash.
London is way more advanced with their bus network than the rest of the UK ever will be, remember TFL run the show, the operating companies have no say in ticket pricing or timetables.
Having said that, the industry will slowly head that way in the next ten years or so with regards to going cashless.

Non Multi

London went cashless in 2014. Remember their network is different from the rest of the UK though.
Their fares are single only, no farestages. Concession tickets can be used at any time.
The Oyster card ( if people still use them) can be topped up at newsagents and online.
Many people don’t have contactless bank cards, and particularly out in the sticks may find it hard to not use cash.
London is way more advanced with their bus network than the rest of the UK ever will be, remember TFL run the show, the operating companies have no say in ticket pricing or timetables.
Having said that, the industry will slowly head that way in the next ten years or so with regards to going cashless.
TfL has had steadily declining bus passenger numbers for several years now, and was very slow to specify buses with new mod cons that the rest of the UK have had for nearly half a decade. They're also been woeful at marketing their bus routes, other than the fare price.

Going cashless in the long term will simply hurt the poorest transport users the most. I know there's a very popular bandwagon on this forum for doing away with physical cash but frankly all those in favour are completely divorced from the real world.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I suspect ENCTS takes out the majority of people who would otherwise insist on paying cash. I saw a quote somewhere saying First Bristol "did 70% of their business" via their mobile app!

richw

Veteran Member
I suspect ENCTS takes out the majority of people who would otherwise insist on paying cash. I saw a quote somewhere saying First Bristol "did 70% of their business" via their mobile app!

Since lockdown started I imagine it’s probably 90% or more by contactless or app. I’m going days without taking any cash in Cornwall!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
TfL has had steadily declining bus passenger numbers for several years now, and was very slow to specify buses with new mod cons that the rest of the UK have had for nearly half a decade. They're also been woeful at marketing their bus routes, other than the fare price.

Going cashless in the long term will simply hurt the poorest transport users the most. I know there's a very popular bandwagon on this forum for doing away with physical cash but frankly all those in favour are completely divorced from the real world.

Well said. Contactless payment should be an individual choice for the customer, not the only option for paying your bus fare.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Au contraire. TfL buses have the important mod cons. Decent moquette seating, dual door and extractor fans. The latter makes a huge difference - no musty "smell of wee" or steamed up windows even on the dampest rainy day. Contactless payment meaning boarding is easily as quick as conductor operation but without the extra cost.

Gimmicky mod cons are not needed - USB ports (just carry a battery pack), plastic fake leather seats (unpleasant) etc.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Well said. Contactless payment should be an individual choice for the customer, not the only option for paying your bus fare.
Absolutely. Contactless is useful for the bus (all the buses around me are exact fare only) but cash should still be an option.
Gimmicky mod cons are not needed - USB ports (just carry a battery pack), plastic fake leather seats (unpleasant) etc.
I’ll have to disagree with you on that - I find USB ports very useful, and I know of many people around me who like said leather seats.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's clear we have now drifted way off topic.

For discussion of social distancing on public transport generally please use this thread:

and for discussion of COVID related issues on buses please see:

Status
Not open for further replies.