• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class 66 to be cut up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

P156KWJ

Established Member
I have heard strange rumours lerking about that say that either EWS or GBRF is having one of its 66 scrapped. I am not sure how true this is! Can anyone help??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

16CSVT2700

Established Member
The first 66 to be cut up was 66521, involved in the Great Heck smash.

And I don't think either EWS or GBRf are scrapping one of their 66s, that's complete piffle.

David

Established Member
Why on earth would a 66 need to be scrapped ????

Nothing has happened to warrent the scrapping of one ....

class 313

Established Member

Well a 66 could of been used for spare parts (As I know this is the case with the 67s). So all the parts could of been used so the 66 is now just a shell with nothing in it. I don't know but that could be a reason.

thefab444

Established Member

Erm, 66521 was presumably damaged beyond repair, so was raided for spares and then cut.

There is a demic EWS Shed with no engine, but I don't think its going to be cut.

66031 is the demic with no (or very little) engine. Not going to be cut though...

Hentis

No freightliner's 66521 was the only one that was written off and scrapped No parts were servicable from it. Although EWS have a66 thats currently dumped at Toton its 66031 which blew its power unit some months ago and has no internals. I beleive its waiting for a new one but I think it will need several other parts as well.

Apparently 60058 put a leg out of bed working the 6H23 Margam to Llanwern on the 29th.... oh dear. Glad I dont need that one.

Source www.wnxx.com

Cheers
Hentis

Turbostar

Well a 66 could of been used for spare parts (As I know this is the case with the 67s). So all the parts could of been used so the 66 is now just a shell with nothing in it. I don't know but that could be a reason.

Why would a shed be 'mothballed' for spare parts??? Parts are readily available I would of thought from various stores of the companies that operate 66's, and you've got EMD in Canada, & I would of thought other sources recommended by EMD throughout the world. It's not a case of production has ceased, & parts are few & far between is it now. If we followed rumours on this forum, we'll all be rich by now! lol :lol:

class 313

Established Member
Why would a shed be 'mothballed' for spare parts??? Parts are readily available I would of thought from various stores of the companies that operate 66's, and you've got EMD in Canada, & I would of thought other sources recommended by EMD throughout the world. It's not a case of production has ceased, & parts are few & far between is it now. If we followed rumours on this forum, we'll all be rich by now! lol :lol:

Why do you think 66031 is empty(ish)? Its cheaper to rip them out of a OOS machine than to order brand new parts.

W14Fishbourne

AFAIK, all 66s operated in the UK are owned by leasing companies. It would be up to them, not the operators, to decide whether to scrap a locomotive and that would only be likely with such modern machines if there was an insurance payout, as would have been the case with 66521.

Hentis

AFAIK, all 66s operated in the UK are owned by leasing companies. It would be up to them, not the operators, to decide whether to scrap a locomotive and that would only be likely with such modern machines if there was an insurance payout, as would have been the case with 66521.

In the case of 66521 it was uneconomical to reapir. It was a right off. The only 66 that is currently in bits is 66031 at Toton without a power unit and other internals.

Hentis

W14Fishbourne

In the case of 66521 it was uneconomical to reapir. It was a right off. The only 66 that is currently in bits is 66031 at Toton without a power unit and other internals.

Hentis

As I said. It's an insurance company that decides to write off an asset that it has covered and pay the owner its value. It would normally do that only if the cost of repairs were greater than the value of the item insured. The insurance company would then pay out and the item in question would become the property of the insurance company, to do with whatever they wished. That wouldn't necessarily result in the item being scrapped. In the case of a Class 66, for example, it may be possible to repair the locomotive to a lower cost standard acceptable to some other railway operator.

In the case of 66031, unless the leasing company accepts otherwise, EWS will be expected to hand over a complete working locomotive when the lease expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.