• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class Aberdeen to Kings Cross - Is Coach M at the back or front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meglos

I'm planning a journey from ABD to KGX, and am thinking about travelling 1st. As the 14:52 train from ABD gets into KGX after 10PM I need to be at the front of the train, to make a good connection out of Waterloo. So it would be useful to know if carriage M is normally at the front of rear?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I'm planning a journey from ABD to KGX, and am thinking about travelling 1st. As the 14:52 train from ABD gets into KGX after 10PM I need to be at the front of the train, to make a good connection out of Waterloo. So it would be useful to know if carriage M is normally at the front of rear?
Carriage M will be the front most carriage, first class is always at the London end :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nearly always at the front (though trains can be the wrong way round it is very rare)

Meglos

Thank you to those who responded. Coach M (or L & K) seems to be the way to go.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Although being at the front on arrival helps, the bigger time saving for a fast connection to the underground at KGX is to not follow the signs for the underground but exit straight on out of the main trainshed into Kings Cross Square, turn right and take these stairs down into the old ticket hall and down the escalators there:

kings-cross-and-st-pancras-underground-tube-station-euston-road-london-DRWWWR.jpg

The signed walking route through the new concourse to the LU platforms is much more circuitous for crowd control purposes.

Hope this helps!

Butts

Veteran Member

Why don't you fly - no worries about late connections then ?

Just over an hour and you'll be there.

BA Lounges open in Aberdeen and Heathrow.

Meglos

Why don't you fly - no worries about late connections then ?

Just over an hour and you'll be there.

BA Lounges open in Aberdeen and Heathrow.
Sure I could fly, but the point is that I want to travel by train, as it's far more comfortable (especially in First Class). I have clocked up well over 100000 flight miles over the past 30 years, but have very little intercity train experience. Also by the time I take baggage charges into account, the price of the flight exceeds the cost of a first class train ticket..

Butts

Veteran Member
Sure I could fly, but the point is that I want to travel by train, as it's far more comfortable (especially in First Class). I have clocked up well over 100000 flight miles over the past 30 years, but have very little intercity train experience. Also by the time I take baggage charges into account, the price of the flight exceeds the cost of a first class train ticket..

Perhaps in the days of HST's - have you travelled on a mobile Hitachi Ironing Board ?

In the old day's a journey of that length could have seen you staggering off at Kings Cross with the amount of free Scotch available for imbibing, however that's a thing of the past at the moment as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.