• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class on EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
Hi all,

Looking to go up to Nottingham from St Pancras on a Friday next month, is First Class on EMT any good? What do you get in terms of complimentary goodies?

Apologies if this has been asked recently, the search function wasn't particularly forthcoming :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pro4600

Complementary tea/coffee, water and biscuits.
And a bigger seat.

OLJR

I have travelled on three sets of EMT trains in 1ST.

The old InterCity 125s are quite comfy but very worn. Overall, good.

The more modern trains are comfy in 1ST but note that due to poor interior design 50% of window seats do not actually have good window views. Overall, should have been good and comfy enough but could have been better. :roll:

There was some refurbished InterCity 125 with a ghastly interior with purple ICS and extremely hard cushions. Overall terrible (but still probably better than STD).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What time of the day are you travelling?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Based on a recent weekday journey the offering has improved a bit to include other soft drinks and some snacks (small cakes, crisps and popcorn!).

extendedpaul

Why are so many on-train hot meal options spicy food ?

I've noticed on several occasions both the main choice and vegetarian alternative on East Coast and Virgin are spicy. Maybe I am in a small minority in not liking it but I'm certainly not alone and I have heard other people complain.

The giant Yorkshire with beef and onion on EMT was really nice, shame it's been dropped. Burger and chips for me next time I guess !

bengolding

The xx15s are all HSTs with plenty of room in First. I'd recommend it over the Meridian stopper to Nottingham.

I'm not a fan of the new EMT First menu. Whilst prices have increased significantly (£7.50 for a chicken curry with rice and naan), I find the choice of hot options is quite poor although the service is attentive. Bring back the days of First Premier on MML, that was hard to beat!

Last edited:

Tibbs

Why are so many on-train hot meal options spicy food ?

I've noticed on several occasions both the main choice and vegetarian alternative on East Coast and Virgin are spicy. Maybe I am in a small minority in not liking it but I'm certainly not alone and I have heard other people complain.

The giant Yorkshire with beef and onion on EMT was really nice, shame it's been dropped. Burger and chips for me next time I guess !

I think it'd be a cost thing. Spicy food can be lower quality than non-spicy food and people are less likely to notice.

From a profit perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.