• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class on GWR, LNER & Greater Anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning,

All being well, I should be travelling in a couple of weeks on GWR from Paddington to Worcester & back, in First Class, I got a really good fare with a railcard, then hopefully in July & August I should be making some journeys from London going North & East on various LNER & Greater Anglia services again in First Class.

Has anyone travelled on these serves lately in First Class?, I was wondering, what if any catering may be included now?, I know it was all suspended due to cv. I think LNER were banning the sale and even brining on board alcohol for a while.

I presume, it is ok if necessary, to bring your own food and drinks, soft or alcohol on the trains and consume on board.

Thanks Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paulwestwood

Good Morning,

All being well, I should be travelling in a couple of weeks on GWR from Paddington to Worcester & back, in First Class, I got a really good fare with a railcard, then hopefully in July & August I should be making some journeys from London going North & East on various LNER & Greater Anglia services again in First Class.

Has anyone travelled on these serves lately in First Class?, I was wondering, what if any catering may be included now?, I know it was all suspended due to cv. I think LNER were banning the sale and even brining on board alcohol for a while.

I presume, it is ok if necessary, to bring your own food and drinks, soft or alcohol on the trains and consume on board.

Thanks Steve.

1st on GWR is normally available, with customers hosts diagrams now back in operation unless due to disruption and crew are in the wrong place. Currently GWR will normally serve the 1st Class and then do the trolley run through Standard and then work back as the trolley service has to have both customers hosts to operate through the train, one to take payments and one to serve the refreshments. 1st Class normally consists of Teas, Coffee, Soft Drink and Water also various snacks also if available the Snack Boxes as well (i've never had one so can't advise what's in them). I hope that helps for the GWR part of your trips.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
1st on GWR is normally available, with customers hosts diagrams now back in operation unless due to disruption and crew are in the wrong place. Currently GWR will normally serve the 1st Class and then do the trolley run through Standard and then work back as the trolley service has to have both customers hosts to operate through the train, one to take payments and one to serve the refreshments. 1st Class normally consists of Teas, Coffee, Soft Drink and Water also various snacks also if available the Snack Boxes as well (i've never had one so can't advise what's in them). I hope that helps for the GWR part of your trips.
The snack boxes are quite good (I think when I last had one it was when they were just doing them at the weekend - it actually meant the weekend offering was better in some instances than the weekday one).
Found the attached photo online.

Attachments

• D96JC1uWwAAoe85.jpg
    D96JC1uWwAAoe85.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 68

Emaharg

In summary :
Anglia is coffee, tea soft drink and a biscuit. GWR is the same with crisps or peanuts.
LNER : as above with crisps and a Egg sandwich or Chicken salad sub roll and bacon roll in the mornings.
Avanti : Bacon Roll or breakfast box AM. Afternoon is Macaroni Cheese, cheese and biscuits, or BLT, with hot drinks cold drinks and alcohol included as of May 17th.

TPE and Scotrail is nothing whatsoever. HST on Scotrail is still 1st class staff only. 385 you can sit in first class, although most people are unaware it is declassified as Scotrail only selling standard tickets.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for all of that, interesting that Avanti is doing Alcohol now, I don't think it shows that yet on their website although it may have been updated since I looked a few days ago. Hopefully LNER may follow suit soon.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's disappointing with ScotRail First Class on their HSTs. I really hope that changes soon, given I have plans to go that way in the next few months and I plan to buy a First Class ticket!

greyman42

Established Member
Thank you for all of that, interesting that Avanti is doing Alcohol now, I don't think it shows that yet on their website although it may have been updated since I looked a few days ago. Hopefully LNER may follow suit soon.
I have taken and drank alcohol on LNER during the alcohol ban, and the staff did not bat a eyelid.

Veteran Member
I asked that question on board a couple of days ago and the staff member said that no date had been announced, but it was expected.

cosmo

HST on Scotrail is still 1st class staff only. 385 you can sit in first class, although most people are unaware it is declassified as Scotrail only selling standard tickets.

Bumping this thread a little I know, but I was on a ScotRail 4 car 385 today and first seemed to be locked out of use (or staff only). Wonder if something has changed as their website says you can still sit in first?

E: Was on another and first is still open, seems it was just an odd case.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Bumping this thread a little I know, but I was on a ScotRail 4 car 385 today and first seemed to be locked out of use (or staff only). Wonder if something has changed as their website says you can still sit in first?

E: Was on another and first is still open, seems it was just an odd case.
Still suspended according to the website, but it says 'you may continue to sit in the first class carriage where it is safe to do so'. So again presumably only where not being used by staff.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have now done the First Class journey on GWR, I was very impressed, the 1st Lounge was open at Paddington, table service by friendly staff, serving, complimentary teas, coffee, water, juice, crisps, biscuits etc & at the time I was there, about 10.30, croissants. Exactly the same service when on board the trains in both directions, enhanced by a 2nd trolley, that served 1st class then 2nd class and that also had wine and beer on board, to purchase. (If GWR can do that, why can't other TOCs)? There were at least 2 runs of both trolleys on both journeys. It will be interesting to see how this service compares to the LNER, Greater Anglia and also now Hull Trains & TPE 1st class trips that I hope to be doing in July, August, September etc.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I have now done the First Class journey on GWR, I was very impressed, the 1st Lounge was open at Paddington, table service by friendly staff, serving, complimentary teas, coffee, water, juice, crisps, biscuits etc & at the time I was there, about 10.30, croissants. Exactly the same service when on board the trains in both directions, enhanced by a 2nd trolley, that served 1st class then 2nd class and that also had wine and beer on board, to purchase. (If GWR can do that, why can't other TOCs)? There were at least 2 runs of both trolleys on both journeys. It will be interesting to see how this service compares to the LNER, Greater Anglia and also now Hull Trains & TPE 1st class trips that I hope to be doing in July, August, September etc.
I'm still undecided as to whether to make my All Line Rover 1st or standard class next month...

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I'm still undecided as to whether to make my All Line Rover 1st or standard class next month...
Not sure what the difference in cost is, but if you can do it in first, it may be worth it, as there would be more room and less people in the carriages, better for keeping your distance from other people cv wise. If you do have an all line, or any type of rover ticket, how do you make seat reservations which are required on many journeys, especially on busy routes and trains?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Not sure what the difference in cost is, but if you can do it in first, it may be worth it, as there would be more room and less people in the carriages, better for keeping your distance from other people cv wise. If you do have an all line, or any type of rover ticket, how do you make seat reservations which are required on many journeys, especially on busy routes and trains?
I've done a few ALRs in the past and always 1st class but not sure if the lesser catering offering/lounges etc will make it worthwhile on this occasion.

The reservations can be done at ticket offices (I would always make one for the dinner service on the TfW "Gerald" service for instance, although no dinner service on that currently) or for some TOCs like LNER reservations can be done on the website.

revkev7

LNER now offering complimentary wine and beer in 1st class all week and also weekends along with water, hot drinks, sandwiches, crisps and biscuits. A considerable improvement. Some refreshments KGX lounge but not EDI or BWK yet.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
LNER now offering complimentary wine and beer in 1st class all week and also weekends along with water, hot drinks, sandwiches, crisps and biscuits. A considerable improvement. Some refreshments KGX lounge but not EDI or BWK yet.
Thank you for that, very good to know, although is wine and beer in 1st class definitely complimentary? I just looked on their website and although it mentions hot drinks and water, it does not mention free alcohol, although I can see that wine & beer is available to purchase from the on board bar or trolley, so at least the trains don't appear to be dry anymore and I suppose one could always bring on a couple of cans or bottles?

Last edited:

Blinkbonny

Thank you for that, very good to know, although is wine and beer in 1st class definitely complimentary? I just looked on their website and although it mentions hot drinks and water, it does not mention free alcohol, although I can see that wine & beer is available to purchase from the on board bar or trolley, so at least the trains don't appear to be dry anymore and I suppose one could always bring on a couple of cans or bottles?
Yes it is "complimentary" though the TOCs often use that term to mean that it can't be insisted upon.

The other drawback to complimentary is of course you're limited to times and amounts of their choosing. Nothing worse than waiting to be offered a drink!

I always take my own anyway.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes it is "complimentary" though the TOCs often use that term to mean that it can't be insisted upon.

The other drawback to complimentary is of course you're limited to times and amounts of their choosing. Nothing worse than waiting to be offered a drink!

I always take my own anyway.
OK, many thanks, hopefully other TOCs will follow suit. Cheers Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.