• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class on Virgin Easter Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooses

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong subforum - please move if appropriate.

Having had a flight from Manchester to Heathrow rescheduled (apparently a departure 2 hours earlier is 'nothing') by bmi, I'm looking at alternatives. I had originally written off travelling by train due to the engineering going on over the easter weekend. What would the first class service be like PM of Easter Sunday? Ordinary Sunday service or less?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ordinary Sunday service AFAIK

Edit - However, I'm not too sure what the WCML is running over the Easter Weekend, there may be severe disruption.

gooses

Ordinary Sunday service AFAIK

Edit - However, I'm not too sure what the WCML is running over the Easter Weekend, there may be severe disruption.

Thanks. Thought as much.

Apparently get booted off at Nuneaton and put on another train which makes its way to Euston the back way. Or something.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Apparently get booted off at Nuneaton and put on another train which makes its way to Euston the back way. Or something.

Aye, that's it, via High Wycombe (the same route Chiltern take to London), before cutting through North London to Euston.

gooses

Aye, that's it, via High Wycombe (the same route Chiltern take to London), before cutting through North London to Euston.

Sounds "scenic".

Edit: I note that I can get fares with East Midlands via Nottingham for cheaps in first as well. Anybody have an opinion on which I would do better in on a Sunday? Personal preference tends to be Virgin, but I haven't travelled East Midlands since Midland Mainline, so maybe it's all changed...

34D

Established Member
Apologies if I've posted in the wrong subforum - please move if appropriate.

Having had a flight from Manchester to Heathrow rescheduled (apparently a departure 2 hours earlier is 'nothing') by bmi, I'm looking at alternatives.

Is your ultimate destination heathrow?

dvboy

Established Member
Ive booked fri and mon from bham to euston fine, anyone know exactly what work's taking place over easter?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Sounds "scenic".

Edit: I note that I can get fares with East Midlands via Nottingham for cheaps in first as well. Anybody have an opinion on which I would do better in on a Sunday? Personal preference tends to be Virgin, but I haven't travelled East Midlands since Midland Mainline, so maybe it's all changed...

On Virgin you will still get biscuits and crisps on Sundays alongside your tea and coffee. On EMT you get sub-standard tea and coffee (ie. from a generic brand which taste awful) and nothing else.

You get free WiFi on both.

If you haven't experienced the standard of service since MML days, I would say don't bother unless it's much cheaper.

calc7

Established Member
If you haven't experienced the standard of service since MML days, I would say don't bother unless it's much cheaper.

At weekends, most EMT trains seem to price 1st as only a pound or two more than STD (and sometimes less if lots of the latter have been sold). Definitely worth it on a Meridian because of the cramping, and on a HST due to the imo fantastic standard of seating in 1st.

gooses

Is your ultimate destination heathrow?

Yeah - have a flight to India first thing Monday morning.

On Virgin you will still get biscuits and crisps on Sundays alongside your tea and coffee. On EMT you get sub-standard tea and coffee (ie. from a generic brand which taste awful) and nothing else.

You get free WiFi on both.

Sounds like EMT are right misers.

Definitely worth it on a Meridian because of the cramping, and on a HST due to the imo fantastic standard of seating in 1st.

I don't think I've been on a Meridian - but I assume it's really just a Voyager? Anything to be excited about? Personally, I like HSTs - anyway of checking the diagrams of specific EMT trains?

calc7

Established Member
I don't think I've been on a Meridian - but I assume it's really just a Voyager? Anything to be excited about? Personally, I like HSTs - anyway of checking the diagrams of specific EMT trains?

www.125group.org.uk/diagrams-EMT.pdf is very useful :)

Meridians are like Voyagers but a bit better. Some have 1 1/3 coaches of 1st and only 2 2/3 coaches of STD (or thereabouts). I've been on one at the weekend when STD was rammed, and 1st was also full due to upgraders, so worthwhile booking a regular 1st ticket! ;)

Edit: if you can get a £10 off voucher code for EMT, the 1st class fares become ridiculously cheap (one user often pays 55p for an Advance 1st)

Status
Not open for further replies.