• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class Parliamentary Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Can anyone think of a station/stations/line which receives a Parliamentary Service, which includes First Class?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
TPE's Lancaster-Windermere via Morecambe service and maybe Southern's Kensington Olympia-Wandsworth Rd train?

wintonian

Established Member
I expect the train to Newhaven Harbour conveys first class, the taxi however is unlikely to. ;)

WCML

Polesworth to Crewe

Not much of a first class offering on a 350, but first class all the same.

ushawk

Established Member
I expect the train to Newhaven Harbour conveys first class, the taxi however is unlikely to. ;)

Nope, Seaford branch trains are nearly always 313s now, with no toilets, let alone FC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
TPE's Lancaster-Windermere via Morecambe service and maybe Southern's Kensington Olympia-Wandsworth Rd train?

The Kenny O to Clapham High St (got extended last December) is 455 operated (at least it has been every time ive used it anyway).

causton

Established Member
Nope, Seaford branch trains are nearly always 313s now, with no toilets, let alone FC.

The Kenny O to Clapham High St (got extended last December) is 455 operated (at least it has been every time ive used it anyway).

Same here (once used, once seen, once seen photographed) :P

wintonian

Established Member

Obviously I ment Newhaven Marine, either way that makes it pretty pointless Southern still having first class fares for Lewes to Newhaven Harbour.

NSEFAN

Established Member
ushawk said:

When I used this train back in early January, it was a 377.

Interestingly, it arrived from the Willesden direction at Kensington, whereas I presume a 455 would have appeared from the Clapham direction. Also, it only worked as far as Wandsworth Road and not to Clapham High Street as it should have.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
If you count the one-train-a-day-in-each-direction (Mon-Fri only) service that the halts on the North Cotswolds line (Combe, Finstock, Ascott-under-Wychwood, and with a very slightly better service, Shipton) get as "parliamentary", then, yes, that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Interestingly, it arrived from the Willesden direction at Kensington, whereas I presume a 455 would have appeared from the Clapham direction.

It is formed by a train that terminates at Shepherds Bush in the current timetable (0937a ?). DC trains can go beyond Shepherds Bush as far as the North Pole depot exit road to reverse IIRC.

Capybara

I travelled to Seaford and back, for the first and only time so far, the Saturday before last and it was on a 377 both ways, though why anyone would ever travel first class on a 377 is beyond me.

tsr

Established Member

Interestingly, it arrived from the Willesden direction at Kensington, whereas I presume a 455 would have appeared from the Clapham direction. Also, it only worked as far as Wandsworth Road and not to Clapham High Street as it should have.

It is formed by a train that terminates at Shepherds Bush in the current timetable (0937a ?). DC trains can go beyond Shepherds Bush as far as the North Pole depot exit road to reverse IIRC.

I have heard that this train is occasionally worked by a dual-voltage (i.e. collector shoe and pantograph equipped) 377. This would not surprise me too much, but neither would a third-rail-only 377.

...though why anyone would ever travel first class on a 377 is beyond me.

I agree. That's why I don't even consider travelling FC on Southern!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have heard that this train is occasionally worked by a dual-voltage (i.e. collector shoe and pantograph equipped) 377. This would not surprise me too much, but neither would a third-rail-only 377.

Just looked up the diagrams. The morning service is booked for a 377/1 or 377/4, the afternoon diagram is booked for a 455.

However as you say there's no reason why a 377/2 wouldn't turn up if available, AIUI any /2s that are left over after the day's dual voltage services are allocated are just in the general pool

tbtc

Veteran Member
Depends on how you define a Parliamentary service*, but IIRC the Fort William portion of the Highland Sleeper is the only service to use a couple of chords outside Glasgow (someone who knows more will no doubt fill in the blanks), and has a First Class section

(is six times a week really a "Parliamentary", when there are lines like Reddish - Denton and Halton Curve that have much less?)

Status
Not open for further replies.