• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class ticket, First Class in timetable, no 1st class on train

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If I find a passenger out of class then i will ask them if they would like to upgrade and if they say no then they will be asked to make their way to STD accommodation.

Err no you won't! You will charge them the difference between the 1st & STD at least to the next booked stop. They can leave 1st then (or before to be honest after they have paid). If they have a season ticket it's a straight new 1st class ticket.

Simples <D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Err no you won't! You will charge them the difference between the 1st & STD at least to the next booked stop. They can leave 1st then (or before to be honest after they have paid). If they have a season ticket it's a straight new 1st class ticket.

Simples <D

And when they say "F*** off, I'm moving, you can't stop me", you then do?

Life is not black and white.

Failed Unit

Established Member

Simples <D

Interesting, I used to frequently upgrade the season and the gaurds found some way of doing it. If I decided to do that I would sit close to the gaurds end rather than the very front coach. Generally did it when the train was 3 car vice 6.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Interesting, I used to frequently upgrade the season and the gaurds found some way of doing it. If I decided to do that I would sit close to the gaurds end rather than the very front coach. Generally did it when the train was 3 car vice 6.

Technically seasons and flexi passes should be upgraded to 1st prior to boarding at the ticket office as the guard is not obliged to do it on the train, a full 1st class single should be issued on board.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Technically seasons and flexi passes should be upgraded to 1st prior to boarding at the ticket office as the guard is not obliged to do it on the train, a full 1st class single should be issued on board.

Fair enough - Scotrail do tend to put 3 car only on the monitors now as well. I haven't had a short formation for a while (curse myself) so not done the upgrade for a long while.

David Goddard

Established Member
I have bought a first Class ALR for July and tried to reserve a 1st class seats at my local booking office on the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalshe and return but only got standard seats. Tried booking a 1st class return ticket online but these are not offered..

That is an interesting comment and thanks for raising. We are also doing an First class ALR in July and was planning to do the Far North and Kyle lines. Having planned our whole itiniarary using the online NRT, we were quite pleasantly suprised (and very pleased) to see First Class was on offer for the Far North.
Unfortunately the hotels in Inverness were all booked so we have had to abandon this part of the tour, and it now seems just as well- I cant imagine how I (or especially my wife) would feel arriving at Inverness to find that the four hour each way trips on the Far North services are in fact Standard only. Just as well we have already re-planned the trip!

rail-britain

Established Member
Unfortunately the hotels in Inverness were all booked so we have had to abandon this part of the tour
Why not travel by the sleeper (northbound to Inverness)
You will pay £40 per night in a hotel anyway, so why not combine both plus get a hot breakfast prior to arrival

I arranged my ALR, so that the majority of sleeper journeys were southbound (as delays northbound can really disrupt the next days plans) and so the next day commenced from London at least 1 hour after arrival

The only Standard journeys I made were Wrexham General to Chester, and Fort Willam to Glasgow QS
I personally wasn't looking forward to Fort William to Glasgow QS, but I made a reservation (and boy did I need it on this service) and the 4 hour journey actually passed more quickly as I had not been on this route previously

It is an interesting point that the timetable advises First Class is available between Inverness and Kyle, so I would assume compensation could be claimed as it is clearly advertised in the timetable
However, if made a seat reservation this issue would be raised and confirmed that only Standard is available

There is actually declassified First Class on these units, operating between Inverness and Kyle
ScotRail (telesales) are now aware of this so simply ask for these when making a seat reservation

If you want specific advice for seat reservations or which seats will be best, throghout your ALR, just PM me details of the trains you are travelling on (most people send me a spreadsheet, which I then return completed)

Last edited:

dcd

If you have a First class ticket and the timetable says First Class but there is no 1st class on train can you make a claim?

Just got £10 voucher as gesture of goodwill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.