• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class Ticket - policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haitch

Hi,

Hypotheical question.

I have a first class ticket from Colchester to Chelmsford. I am travelling to London for a rare trip to HQ. Can I sit in fist class even if my train doesnt stop at Chelmsford? Do I need to vacate First Class as I approach Chelmsford or not entitled to sit their at all?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have a first class ticket from Colchester to Chelmsford. I am travelling to London for a rare trip to HQ. Can I sit in fist class even if my train doesnt stop at Chelmsford?

I wouldn't; it isn't worth it for the argument you might get. Technically I suppose you could up to the point the train passes through, but 19(c) is so poorly understood that I think you would enjoy a journey in Standard more without the threat of an inspector getting awkward.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Presumably, you mean that this journey will be undertaken with a standard class ticket from Chelmsford to London? If that is the case you could perhaps do this, but it hardly seems worth the hassle although, to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing written to say that you can't.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Is one of your tickets a season ticket?

Haitch

Yes, annual season ticket first class Colchester to Chelmsford. Standard class from Chelmsford to LST.

My question is can I sit first class to Chelmsford (enjoy complimentary coffee biscuits etc) then move across to standard as I pass through?

Taking this further, could I buy first class to Marks Tey (just down the line 5 miles) get free coffee and biscuits then move to standard and enjoy them?

My gut feel is that if the service is not scheduled to stop at Chelmsford you can not use first class.

Thoughts?

I asked a guard and he wasnt sure of the correct answer.

Romilly

Established Member
If you are making a Colchester-Chelmsford-London journey using a Colchester-Chelmsford ticket and a Chelmsford-London ticket, and one only of those tickets is a season ticket, the contractual rule from the National Conditions of Carriage is that the train does not need to stop at the station where you switch from one ticket to the other. That confirms that the ticket for the Colchester-Chelmsford leg of your journey is your 1st class season ticket, and the ticket for the Chelmsford-London leg is the day ticket you have bought for the occasion. On that basis, you have a valid 1st class ticket as far as Chelmsford, and I cannot see anything that says that you cannot travel in 1st class as far as Chelmsford. As regards refreshments, given that they are complimentary there can be no guarantee that you will be offered them.

bnm

Established Member
As regards refreshments, given that they are complimentary there can be no guarantee that you will be offered them.

You have to collect them from the buffet on Greater Anglia.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yeah I don't see any reason why you cannot.

I have done exactly the same thing before, and in most cases, guards are quite understanding, and frequently allowed me to sit in First throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.