• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class upgrade on Spirit of Scotland travelpass

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Morning all,

After a little bit of advice / a second opinion as my current reading of the Scotrail website is contradictory...

I will shortly be travelling around Scotland using a Spirit of Scotland Travelpass (on a priv, in case that has any relevance to my query, but I don't think it does) and would be interested in upgrading to first class on some of the longer individual journeys I'm making as part of that, making use of the current Scotrail first class upgrade offer.

The page for the upgrade says:

What you need to know
  • £5 upgrade to First Class one way
  • Travel between 2 - 31 March 2020, inclusive
  • Available on all intercity services
  • Valid alongside any ticket type purchased
  • Catering is subject to on board availability

(Source: https://www.scotrail.co.uk/first-class-£5-intercity-upgrade )

However, the page for the Spirit of Scotland says:

Can I upgrade to First Class with a travel pass?
No, you can't upgrade to First Class on any of our travel passes.

(Source: https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/combined-tickets-travel-passes/spirit-of-scotland )

So my query is - I'd have thought that 'any ticket type' was a wide enough description to include rovers and rangers?

Or is it that the page is poorly-worded and should state that you can't upgrade the ticket as a whole, but you can on individual, point-to-point, journeys you may make whilst using the ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kilopylae

Section 69 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states "If a term in a consumer contract, or a consumer notice, could have different meanings, the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer is to prevail."

Plainly, this is a consumer notice that could be interpreted ambiguously, with the term "any ticket type" being the term that "could have different meanings." You should be free to request the upgrade under Section 69 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Section 69 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states "If a term in a consumer contract, or a consumer notice, could have different meanings, the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer is to prevail."

Plainly, this is a consumer notice that could be interpreted ambiguously, with the term "any ticket type" being the term that "could have different meanings." You should be free to request the upgrade under Section 69 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
It can’t be a contract until consideration has been passed, and Scotrail could refuse that.

Rover

I would just ask the guard on the day, if he/she sees you're on a priv they may even waive the £5 charge

Last edited:

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The Spirit of Scotland Travelpass is a permanent product the upgrades are available for 29 days so the normal answer is no. What the current answer is only ScotRail will be able to tell you

physics34

Established Member
Can you get this pass with a priv for 4 days, and does anyone know the cost?

philthetube

Established Member
I got one two years ago, and at a reduced winter rate. not sure if things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.