• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class upgrade where no first class ticket exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Imagine I have a standard class ticket from Ledbury to Stafford, say an Anytime Return.

What should be the excess payable to travel in first class? There's no first class fare defined.

Obviously I could split tickets, but I'd like to try to do it on one ticket.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Indeed. So what happens when I board the Cross-country train from Brum, sit in first and ask for an excess?

tony_mac

Established Member
My guess is that he'll look puzzled, scratch his head, then finally offer you a 1st single from Brum to Stafford....

XC customer services will firstly deny that they run any trains between Birmingham and Stafford, then deny that they have first class, then say you could have bought an advance ticket on their app, then ask for a copy of your ticket, then deny they received it, then tell you it's too late to claim any refund...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
My experience (three times) of going one stop in 1st and wanting to upgrade has been to be allowed to stay and not be charged. Twice has been when I've been on split tickets for the rest of a longer journey in 1st.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I'd like to know why there is no "Any Permitted" first class season ticket between Crewe and Manchester (to allow travel on the 07:53 out and 17:27 ret XC services). I contacted both Northern (fare-setter) and XC ages ago but nothing happened.

sjoh

On a similar-ish note - how is it that the off-peak single ticket from Birmingham to Stafford is 10p more expensive than the anytime!? (£11 and £10.90 respectively)

button_boxer

Established Member
On a similar-ish note - how is it that the off-peak single ticket from Birmingham to Stafford is 10p more expensive than the anytime!? (£11 and £10.90 respectively)

I can't see an off-peak single fare for that flow on brfares, only the Anytime Day Single at £10.90. The £11 fare is the Off-Peak Day Return.

Status
Not open for further replies.