• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzaa2

As a fed up rail user on a Saturday i've decided I want to start upgrading to sitting down and therefore travelling first class.

How do you get an upgrade on the weekend (I believe it's about £20?). Can you just sit in first class and ask the guard/inspector to upgrade your ticket, or do you have to do it before you board?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
You can see details of "Weekend First" offers below. They vary by each TOC.
For all of the TOCs it depends on the route you are travelling. Crosscountry do not appear to list prices on their website so I would advise that you ask the Train Manager on board. For VTWC and TPE the prices are listed clearly above. You can just sit in first and pay the upgrade when your ticket is inspected.

Blinkbonny

At Virgin it has to be done onboard. Don't know about other companies. And it goes up in £5 increments depending on distance travelled.

gray1404

Established Member
It is possible to look up XC upgrade charges on BRfares so you know what it will be before boarding. Just type the two stations between which you will be travelling on the XC leg(s) and it will appear as something like IXC WEEKEND UPG.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Upgrades on Virgin are free at weekends if you are travelling with an Anytime ticket.

Also, if all you're after is a seat then you can make a reservation free of charge with Virgin, CrossCountry and Transpennine.

extendedpaul

I paid for a first class advance on TransPennine Express from Sheffield to Lancaster last Saturday. Just about managed to get my reserved seats but both trains were so rammed due to Northern strike action there were dozens of people standing in first class with nowhere else to go. First Class was not declassified as almost all seats were reserved and most claimed but no chance of the complementary refreshments as the trolleys could not get near. Not complaining as still worth the extra cost and both train managers were very informative and apologetic. One explained that it had not been possible to add extra carriages due to the only spare set already being in use following damage caused by a collision with some cows a few days earlier !

Status
Not open for further replies.